The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Christ's Admissions
Ah, yes, that makes more sense, thank you! No, work experience is not necessary for Comp Sci (or for anything outside Medicine and Vet Med).

But would it be worth doing to set you apart from other students? Are you more likely to get in if you have work experience in your relevant field than someone who doesn't but has the exact same grades as you?
Hi

I am about to start my final year studying natural sciences at another university, and am looking to apply to do medicine (A100 course) after graduating. I know that, as an affiliated student, I will only be able to apply to one of three colleges, but do different colleges look for different qualities/experiences from applicants, or are they all fairly similar?

Original post by oneabdi
But would it be worth doing to set you apart from other students? Are you more likely to get in if you have work experience in your relevant field than someone who doesn't but has the exact same grades as you?

It's very rare for students to look the same on paper so that doesn;t really come into it. You should do work experience, if you do it at all, not because it is something that will help get you in to Cambridge or any other university but because it is something that you will find interesting and useful for your pursuit of stdying computer sciennce. What matters is not doing work experience but what you get out of it. Two people could do the same thing for a week and one may learn a great deal from it and another not.

When pursuing relevant extra curriculars try to think of them as things that will make you a better computer scientist, not as things you need to do to make it more likely that you will get in - you will enjoy them much more that way and will get more out of them which, in turn, will probably make you a stronger candidate.
Original post by jasmine124
Hello

My question is regarding Medicine. I finished my AS levels in Biology, Chemistry, Economics and Physics. I was thinking is it okay if I was to drop Physics and carry on with Biology, Chemistry and Economics at A2? Will dropping Physics put me at a disadvantage? I have got quite different views from teachers at college so I am really unsure. Would be grateful if you could help.

Thank you!

Thank you for your question. If you drop Physics then you will be the bare minimum amount of science necessary to apply for Medicine (two A Levels in Science and one AS) and that would, I fear, but you at a very significant disadvantage compared to other applicants, not just at Cambridge but at your other choices also.

The three Sciences would be sufficient, providing you have done well in them, to make you competitive but it would be good, if possible, to take up AS Level Maths in Year 13 as the vast majority of medical applicants have Maths at least to AS.

I hope this is helpful and do feel free to come back if you have further questions.
Original post by Pippetypip
Hi

I am about to start my final year studying natural sciences at another university, and am looking to apply to do medicine (A100 course) after graduating. I know that, as an affiliated student, I will only be able to apply to one of three colleges, but do different colleges look for different qualities/experiences from applicants, or are they all fairly similar?

All three are graduate colleges and therefore have a different atmosphere to the standrad age colleges in Cambridge. I don't think they particulalrly look for different things in candidates but Lucy Cavendish is a women's college, whereas the other two are mixed.
Hello there

I have a question regarding natural sciences. I've become rather disillusioned with biology (really dislike the A level course) and have developed a recent interest in physical chemistry and materials science. I chose the three sciences and maths, and am considering dropping biology and picking up further maths. Is FM necessary for physical natsci?

I'd imagine that if I were to receive an offer it would possibly include further maths conditional. Would I be seen as inferior to someone who took AS further maths, seeing that you will have seen evidence of their mathematical ability at the time of application? This is quite important as I do not want to be disadvantaged by applying via the physical route.

Many thanks.
Hello again. I was considering applying to st John's for geography and on their website page it says if called I will be interviewed by the tutor handling my application and two subject fellows. So would this by the st John's geography tutor and two of their subject fellows or could they work for any college? E.g. could I be interviewed by two teaching fellows from trinity?Thank you.
Original post by Fishermea
Hello there

I have a question regarding natural sciences. I've become rather disillusioned with biology (really dislike the A level course) and have developed a recent interest in physical chemistry and materials science. I chose the three sciences and maths, and am considering dropping biology and picking up further maths. Is FM necessary for physical natsci?

I'd imagine that if I were to receive an offer it would possibly include further maths conditional. Would I be seen as inferior to someone who took AS further maths, seeing that you will have seen evidence of their mathematical ability at the time of application? This is quite important as I do not want to be disadvantaged by applying via the physical route.

Many thanks.

Hi there, if you are interested more in the chemistry/materials side, then FM is not necessary. It is much more important to have FM if you are thinking of Physics (though even here it is 'useful' rather than 'essential' providing that you are also doing Physics A Level).

It is unusual for somone who wants to do Physics to be accepted without FM (though very far from unknown) but common for Chemists or Material scientists to be accepted without FM.

In general, my advice would be to do FM if you can but, for Chemists/Materials, not to worry if you can't. It's unlikely, though not impossible, for us to specifcy in which Sciences we will want the two A*s you will need.

I hope that is of some help, do feel free to come back if not.
Reply 328
Hello, I am considering applying for the maths course at Trinity Hall. On the Univerity's homepage it says that a transcript is required for international student. I wonder what a transcript shall contain. The sample transcript is rather short containing the marks of 3 years. In Germany we have a quite different education system (usually not providing UMS marks), if the trancsript had to contain all marks of upper secondary (in my case years 11 & 12) it would contain 50 marks (13 subjects). What exactly should be in a transcript? Thank you.
Original post by nadinepierce
Hello again. I was considering applying to st John's for geography and on their website page it says if called I will be interviewed by the tutor handling my application and two subject fellows. So would this by the st John's geography tutor and two of their subject fellows or could they work for any college? E.g. could I be interviewed by two teaching fellows from trinity?Thank you.

It sounds to me as if it means two of the other fellows in Geography at St John's, but they will tell you in your interview letter/email by whom you will be interviewed.

Colleges generally try to ensure that you are interviewed by fellows or senior PhD students from their own college though occasionally, especially in smaler subjects, they will bring in fellows from other colleges to assist the DoS at teir own college.
Original post by BBilly
Hello, I am considering applying for the maths course at Trinity Hall. On the Univerity's homepage it says that a transcript is required for international student. I wonder what a transcript shall contain. The sample transcript is rather short containing the marks of 3 years. In Germany we have a quite different education system (usually not providing UMS marks), if the trancsript had to contain all marks of upper secondary (in my case years 11 & 12) it would contain 50 marks (13 subjects). What exactly should be in a transcript? Thank you.

A transcript containing all your Upper Secondary marks would be fine, international transcripts are often quite long.
Reply 331
A transcript containing all your Upper Secondary marks would be fine, international transcripts are often quite long.

Thank you for your quick response. Are percentages required or is the German 15-point-mark-scheme sufficient?
I am interested in Physics Nat Sci, with Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Computing and 3D Product Design A Levels.
Providing I get the right results, is this combination of subjects adequate - will the lack of chemistry matter at all?
Also, would it be a waste of time to do an EPQ related to my Product Design work, should I instead do a Physics/Maths EPQ or not bother with one at all?
Thank you.
Thank you for your question. If you drop Physics then you will be the bare minimum amount of science necessary to apply for Medicine (two A Levels in Science and one AS) and that would, I fear, but you at a very significant disadvantage compared to other applicants, not just at Cambridge but at your other choices also.

The three Sciences would be sufficient, providing you have done well in them, to make you competitive but it would be good, if possible, to take up AS Level Maths in Year 13 as the vast majority of medical applicants have Maths at least to AS.

I hope this is helpful and do feel free to come back if you have further questions.

Thank you very much for the reply. It was really helpful. I will hold on to Physics in that case.
Just another thing regarding Maths, I did do Maths AS during my GCSE years. Do you think it would be better if I do that to A2 now along with Biology, Chemistry and Physics just to be on the safe side seeing most applicants do offer it?

Many thanks
Original post by BBilly
Thank you for your quick response. Are percentages required or is the German 15-point-mark-scheme sufficient?

The German mark schene should be fine.
Original post by a_quiet_person
I am interested in Physics Nat Sci, with Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Computing and 3D Product Design A Levels.
Providing I get the right results, is this combination of subjects adequate - will the lack of chemistry matter at all?
Also, would it be a waste of time to do an EPQ related to my Product Design work, should I instead do a Physics/Maths EPQ or not bother with one at all?
Thank you.

It is usual for Physical Nat Scis to have Chemistry but if you know that Physics is the route you want to take then the lack of Chemistry shouldn't be a hindrance.

You EPQ should be on something you enjoy and think you will do well in - if that is connected with what you plan to do at degree level, all the better, but it is not essential.
Original post by jasmine124
Thank you very much for the reply. It was really helpful. I will hold on to Physics in that case.
Just another thing regarding Maths, I did do Maths AS during my GCSE years. Do you think it would be better if I do that to A2 now along with Biology, Chemistry and Physics just to be on the safe side seeing most applicants do offer it?

Many thanks

It is good that you have done Maths AS and that will form part of your Science average (SUMS). If you think you are able to do A2 Maths within your timetable then it would certainly be of some use in perparing you for the Medicine course. If you take Maths to A2 then you would have more freedom about whether you did Physics or Economics but essentially you should aim to take either Maths or Physics to A2.
It is good that you have done Maths AS and that will form part of your Science average (SUMS). If you think you are able to do A2 Maths within your timetable then it would certainly be of some use in perparing you for the Medicine course. If you take Maths to A2 then you would have more freedom about whether you did Physics or Economics but essentially you should aim to take either Maths or Physics to A2.

Thank you very much :smile:

Good evening,

I have a quick question, and although I doubt I'll apply to cambridge( I'm not actually good enough haha), I would like your 'admissions tutor' opinion aha!!
I currently study for my AS; maths, further maths, physics, chemistry and French. I would like to apply for both economics and economics with French. I am in a pickle as to what to drop for a2, my two options are I can drop physics and chemistry and pick up as and a2 economics. This would actually mean I would self-study the as, which I wouldn't mind since i'd relish the challenge.
My other option-suggested to me by friends- is to drop chemistry and further maths. This would actually mean I would only have to go to school three days a week-due to timetabling- and I'd have plenty of time to study and would most likely be able to guarantee myself an a* in both maths and physics and probably one two in French! However, although I don't mind physics I don't really enjoy it.
What's your opinion on what would be best for my application? Also, feel free to tell me if you think other subjects would be better to drop!
Thanks ever so much :smile: :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mathsfanatic123
Good evening,

I have a quick question, and although I doubt I'll apply to cambridge( I'm not actually good enough haha), I would like your 'admissions tutor' opinion aha!!
I currently study for my AS; maths, further maths, physics, chemistry and French. I would like to apply for both economics and economics with French. I am in a pickle as to what to drop for a2, my two options are I can drop physics and chemistry and pick up as and a2 economics. This would actually mean I would self-study the as, which I wouldn't mind since i'd relish the challenge.
My other option-suggested to me by friends- is to drop chemistry and further maths. This would actually mean I would only have to go to school three days a week-due to timetabling- and I'd have plenty of time to study and would most likely be able to guarantee myself an a* in both maths and physics and probably one two in French! However, although I don't mind physics I don't really enjoy it.
What's your opinion on what would be best for my application? Also, feel free to tell me if you think other subjects would be better to drop!
Thanks ever so much :smile: :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, in the end it is your life so you must do what you feel you will enjoy the most and those subjects where you think you are most likely to do well. Having said that, you need to think about the type of Economics course you want to do. If you want to do one that is more Maths-focused then I would not drop FM but if you prefer ones that are more social/political in focus then FM will be less important.

One further thing to bear in mind is that it is not necessary for you to have done Economics A Level to apply for lots of Economics courses. Ours, for instance, sees Economics A Level as 'useful preparation' but not essential. Make sure you check the course requirements of all the courses for which you are planning to apply.

Good luck.

Latest

Trending

Trending