The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by krazy prince
Hello, I am an international student and am holding an offer from kings.
Before moving to UK this Sep, I wanted to know what pschy do UK students have for us and found it quite funny when I read the threads like what do rich international students think of us and they are spoiled etc.
Actually why I made this thread is so I can know why do u actually think we are spoiled or we are different from you when you yourself actually have a huge upper hand (fluent English) . I, before reading threads like this, thought that may be students would think down on me as I don't belong to their culture and dun know how the things go on there (though have visited UK many times as u would expect from a rich int student ;-) ) .
So to tell u about myself , yes I am one of those students who has latest macs, smartphones and my parents will buy me a flat and a BMW when I move there though in no way I think I will be bragging about it or think m better than u people and personally am a very down to earth person, this is the reason m leaving all this wealth n moving over there but still all these come with me where ever I'll move.
Thanks for reading this essay and please share Ur thoughts on why u think students with lots of moneyare not like u.

So basically you are from a third world country which depends on foreign charity & IMF's loans, LMAO. Now, you are trying to impress us with your money which is indirectly earned from British & American tax payers. 99% of the rich population in your country is corrupt.
Original post by Daniel9510
Why do people think your spoilt, because, without trying to be offensive, you are. Having your parents buy you a Mac and a flat makes you spoilt.

I wouldn't call someone "spoilt" just because their parents buy them expensive things. It's all relative, based on how rich the family is. Maybe the OP's family have so much money that a Mac and a flat are not particularly expensive things for them.

I mean, an 8 year old child in Bangladesh who works in a sweatshop for 18 hours a day to feed his family probably thinks you're spoilt because your parents bought food for you at that age and you didn't have to work for it yourself. But for you and your parents, it's not such a big deal, food is cheap. That isn't being "spoilt", it's just making the best of whatever situation you've been born into. Why make yourself live a more difficult life if you don't have to?

I think someone can be considered "spoilt" if they have a sense of entitlement from their parents (or anyone else), to the extent that it starts to seriously put other people out, and they still don't appreciate the value of it. For example, if your parents are struggling to pay their own bills, and you still expect them to buy you a Mac and a flat, and they do it anyway because they're too afraid of the tantrum you'll throw if they disappoint you, then that would be quite spoilt, because you expect to get your way no matter how difficult it is for other people to accommodate you.

But, all parents spend money on their children to some extent, so naturally those who have more will spend more. I don't think that's sufficient grounds to criticise them for being spoilt - what else do you expect people to do in that situation?
Reply 282
I'm glad I'm not in the same situation as the OP.

Working for something, knowing the value of it, and earning it through your own achievement is so much greater a feeling than having something handed to you.

Gratification is a wonderful, understated feeling.
Haha that's good for you if you own much more. Lol. I'm really happy for you that you've earned everything. Now live peacefully.

Show me the best you have. Like this:
Original post by krazy priince
So basically you are from a third world country which depends on foreign charity & IMF's loans, LMAO. Now, you are trying to impress us with your money which is indirectly earned from British & American tax payers. 99% of the rich population in your country is corrupt.

Even if you say I belong to a third world country and Pakistan takes loan from IMF, still you cannot do shop things which I can. So Congratulations for belonging to a developed country.
Original post by tazarooni89
I wouldn't call someone "spoilt" just because their parents buy them expensive things. It's all relative, based on how rich the family is. Maybe the OP's family have so much money that a Mac and a flat are not particularly expensive things for them.

I mean, an 8 year old child in Bangladesh who works in a sweatshop for 18 hours a day to feed his family probably thinks you're spoilt because your parents bought food for you at that age and you didn't have to work for it yourself. But for you and your parents, it's not such a big deal, food is cheap. That isn't being "spoilt", it's just making the best of whatever situation you've been born into. Why make yourself live a more difficult life if you don't have to?

I think someone can be considered "spoilt" if they have a sense of entitlement from their parents (or anyone else), to the extent that it starts to seriously put other people out, and they still don't appreciate the value of it. For example, if your parents are struggling to pay their own bills, and you still expect them to buy you a Mac and a flat, and they do it anyway because they're too afraid of the tantrum you'll throw if they disappoint you, then that would be quite spoilt, because you expect to get your way no matter how difficult it is for other people to accommodate you.

But, all parents spend money on their children to some extent, so naturally those who have more will spend more. I don't think that's sufficient grounds to criticise them for being spoilt - what else do you expect people to do in that situation?

Thiiissssss. Still there are some people with sound mind around TAR.
Original post by JMP1995

Working for something, knowing the value of it, and earning it through your own achievement is so much greater a feeling than having something handed to you.

I agree with you completely on the last sentence.
Original post by universal_set
Show me the best you have. Like this:

Hahaha Oh my... Mann don't make me do this, you and many others would burn them down into ashes. Stay cool, it's ok whatever you have.
Hahaha Oh my... Mann don't make me do this, you and many others would burn them down into ashes. Stay cool, it's ok whatever you have.

Centurion is one of the top elite cards. I can bet you don't have anything like this. So keep laughing like an idiot.

Nobody said that all rich people's kids are spoilt, at least I never said this but the OP is definitely an idiot who is trying to discriminate people by showing that he deserves some sort of special treatment because his father has some money so the world revolves around him. OP's arrogance and smugness reflect his limited life experience. If you are rich then you don't need to advertise whereas OP is literally braying. Because his classmates will know from his lifestyle. Clearly, OP wants some attention otherwise I don't see a point in starting such a stupid thread where everyone is humiliating him. Although, he deserves it because of his arrogance.
I agree with you completely on the last sentence.

You don't agree with the rest because it hurts your stupid ego. LOL

TBH, now you are getting on my nerves therefore I am unsubscribing this thread but I will wish to see you at strand so that I can really kick your arse. Eff off.
Nobody said that all rich people's kids are spoilt, at least I never said this but the OP is definitely an idiot who is trying to discriminate people by showing that he deserves some sort of special treatment because his father has some money so the world revolves around him. OP's arrogance and smugness reflect his limited life experience. If you are rich then you don't need to advertise whereas OP is literally braying. Because his classmates will know from his lifestyle. Clearly, OP wants some attention otherwise I don't see a point in starting such a stupid thread where everyone is humiliating him. Although, he deserves it because of his arrogance.

You're entitled to your opinion about the OP personally - I was merely disputing the statement that another poster made, that "Having your parents buy you a Mac and a flat makes you spoilt."
Original post by JMP1995

I agree. But I don't think that means you're better off if you don't have rich parents who hand things to you.

Anybody, even the richest heirs in the world, can still work hard and earn things that their parents did not or could not hand to them. Rather than working hard in an effort to be able to afford material items such as BMW's and MacBooks, you can still work hard to accomplish something just for the sense of achievement itself, which no rich parent can give you.
u wont ever know me.

Correct. No one will ever know you.

Just playing. I hold you no ill will. Your parents have money and they're investing in you - good on them. The thing is that most geniuses come from quite humble beginnings. Your sort of spoilt upbringing (which is not your fault and I do not begrudge you for it) is great for mediocre people. However, if you're sufficiently talented and enterprising, you will always outshine someone who simply has money. People will care for you; like you; do things for you - things that money cannot buy.

I'd say not to worry about what bitter students think of you being spoilt. Unfortunately for you, people will always look down on you as someone who achieved things just because of his parents - which is the unfortunate price you will have to pay.

I say try your best and accomplish as much as you can - then point to other rich kids who never did anything. Good luck here in the UK.
Centurion is one of the top elite cards. I can bet you don't have anything like this. So keep laughing like an idiot.

OK so people around here do not call me snobbish and as far as you are concerned, you want me to show you how rich I am?

I am not concerned about the people who hate me because I know it's jealousy that is coming off which is completely natural. When you see somebody having the things which you have wanted always but you cannot afford it so you hurl some envious comments on them and I have no problem with that but there are many on this thread also who were not jealous and didn't post harsh posts like the most. So its natural.
To be honest, I don't care about whether an international student is 'rich'. I have quite a few international friends, some whose parents are rich and others not so. It is all about how you present yourself to others. If, for example, you were to go on about how your parents are buying you a flat then I, personally, would find your annoying and would end up ignoring you because being snobby and braggy is an ugly trait to have.

However, having rich parents doesn't define who you are but when you say that we are advantaged because we speak fluent English, it does urk me because it isn't a high advantage as you put it. There are people living on benefits, who work but cannot afford rent or food, so it is ignorant to say just because we speak a certain language puts us higher than international students. At the end of the day, first impressions are everything and if you portray yourself as a snobby brat, you'll be treated negative but if you just be friendly then it'll be fine.
Reply 297

I'm glad some one finally pointed this out. Being spoilt doesn't depend on what you have but more so the attitude you possess with it.
Reply 298
Even if you say I belong to a third world country and Pakistan takes loan from IMF, still you cannot do shop things which I can. So Congratulations for belonging to a developed country.

bait your self out more please
Original post by Wonderer1
To be honest, I don't care about whether an international student is 'rich'. I have quite a few international friends, some whose parents are rich and others not so. It is all about how you present yourself to others. If, for example, you were to go on about how your parents are buying you a flat then I, personally, would find your annoying and would end up ignoring you because being snobby and braggy is an ugly trait to have.

However, having rich parents doesn't define who you are but when you say that we are advantaged because we speak fluent English, it does urk me because it isn't a high advantage as you put it. There are people living on benefits, who work but cannot afford rent or food, so it is ignorant to say just because we speak a certain language puts us higher than international students. At the end of the day, first impressions are everything and if you portray yourself as a snobby brat, you'll be treated negative but if you just be friendly then it'll be fine.

I will try to be as friendly as possible and not snobbish in person. Thank you for your opinion and advice.

Latest

Trending

Trending