The Student Room Group

What do you talk about with your partner ?

Just wondering what do you actually talk about with your partner ?

Just general about your day or about personal matters with yourself ??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
A bit of everything, why?
Reply 2
Original post by djpailo
A bit of everything, why?

Just curious
Most married people talk about 5 minutes a day if that.
Anything and everything... Whatever crosses the mind really.
Reply 5
Original post by katehlouise
Anything and everything... Whatever crosses the mind really.

Really but dont you get bored ( no offence). What is it that allows you to talk to him like that ? Love ?
Reply 6
A mix of everything really -

*general chit chat about how our day was
*games, movies, tv shows
*debates over certain subjects e.g things on the news, religion, social subjects etc
*remembering old memories of us from years ago
*laugh over our on jokes/banter that has developed over the years
*serious things like money
Reply 7
Original post by IMBCFC
Really but dont you get bored ( no offence). What is it that allows you to talk to him like that ? Love ?

I'm with you on this. I've always wondered, don't people who are together ever run out of conversation topics or things to talk about? Me being completely dull and uninteresting, I couldn't even hold a 5 minute conversation anyway. But for normal people, is it really possible to have interesting conversations and discussions with someone who you talk to on a regular basis?
Original post by IMBCFC

I dunno really. I mean, it's not always constant conversation. We only see each other a few times a week so usually there is something new to talk about.
Original post by Stinkum
I'm with you on this. I've always wondered, don't people who are together ever run out of conversation topics or things to talk about? Me being completely dull and uninteresting, I couldn't even hold a 5 minute conversation anyway. But for normal people, is it really possible to have interesting conversations and discussions with someone who you talk to on a regular basis?

I feel I'm pretty boring and uninteresting but I'm also in a relationship. When I start thinking too much into it I begin to worry about running out of things to talk about. Then I worry that we'll get bored of each other and break up... so that's one of the things we end up talking about every now and then.
We talk about interests, food (about it, what we'll eat, if we liked it, what to bake etc), friends, films, things we should do, things we'd like to do, university, the future, money, shopping, books.... we talk about everything. And there will constantly be new things that we can talk about. Something will happen in someone's day, we'll hear a joke, we'll watch something new etc etc. You don't have to talk constantly, we enjoy our quiet/alone times. Every now and again we feel we haven't spoken much or done anything together so we decide to, then we get to talk about that, or other things we can do together to keep us close.
Obviously you don't just start the relationship like this, it's gradually gained trust and what you both experience together that opens up new things to talk about. I don't tend to talk about future plans with particular friends, or about money. But those sorts of things involve both of us so we talk about them. My boyfriend kept his emotions to himself at the start of our relationship but now he feels more comfortable in sharing them.
Relationships constantly develop. You experience a lot of the same things so conversations will repeat, but new experiences and memories open the doors to more things to talk about. Just let it all happen naturally, otherwise you might just get paranoid about how much you talk.

EDIT: I usually struggle to hold conversations with people I don't know very well... sometimes even with those I do know. It feels less difficult with my boyfriend usually, there's just something there that gives me comfort and confidence to talk about whatever I like which has grown from the start of our friendship. In saying that, it is a bit more difficult when we're apart, because when you talk on Skype or Steam you can see that it has been 3 WHOLE HOURS and no one has spoken. We live together so usually we don't notice because someone is watching/playing/reading/cooking/doing something and you can talk about those things, but there's less pressure.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by sliceofcake
I feel I'm pretty boring and uninteresting but I'm also in a relationship. When I start thinking too much into it I begin to worry about running out of things to talk about. Then I worry that we'll get bored of each other and break up... so that's one of the things we end up talking about every now and then.
We talk about interests, food (about it, what we'll eat, if we liked it, what to bake etc), friends, films, things we should do, things we'd like to do, university, the future, money, shopping, books.... we talk about everything. And there will constantly be new things that we can talk about. Something will happen in someone's day, we'll hear a joke, we'll watch something new etc etc. You don't have to talk constantly, we enjoy our quiet/alone times. Every now and again we feel we haven't spoken much or done anything together so we decide to, then we get to talk about that, or other things we can do together to keep us close.
Obviously you don't just start the relationship like this, it's gradually gained trust and what you both experience together that opens up new things to talk about. I don't tend to talk about future plans with particular friends, or about money. But those sorts of things involve both of us so we talk about them. My boyfriend kept his emotions to himself at the start of our relationship but now he feels more comfortable in sharing them.
Relationships constantly develop. You experience a lot of the same things so conversations will repeat, but new experiences and memories open the doors to more things to talk about. Just let it all happen naturally, otherwise you might just get paranoid about how much you talk.

EDIT: I usually struggle to hold conversations with people I don't know very well... sometimes even with those I do know. It feels less difficult with my boyfriend usually, there's just something there that gives me comfort and confidence to talk about whatever I like which has grown from the start of our friendship. In saying that, it is a bit more difficult when we're apart, because when you talk on Skype or Steam you can see that it has been 3 WHOLE HOURS and no one has spoken. We live together so usually we don't notice because someone is watching/playing/reading/cooking/doing something and you can talk about those things, but there's less pressure.

Nice post, that was interesting to read. It's good to get an appreciation for other people's perspectives. I have no had any similar experiences, but I can understand what you've said there.
We do sometimes not have anything specific to talk about, but that's ok as we're comfortable enough to just sit and chill together or go and do our own thing for a bit.

We'll usually talk about what we did at work (I have to be careful not to be too graphic as he's really squeamish), plans for the evening/weekend/our imminent housemove, current affairs, films/TV, sports...

It's a different sort of conversation from when you first get together, when you're trying to find out about their likes and dislikes - I pretty much know what he's into or not, but there's always new things coming out to talk about!
Original post by Yasmin25
A mix of everything really -

*general chit chat about how our day was
*games, movies, tv shows
*debates over certain subjects e.g things on the news, religion, social subjects etc
*remembering old memories of us from years ago
*laugh over our on jokes/banter that has developed over the years
*serious things like money

Are you muslim ?
Original post by IMBCFC
Are you muslim ?

No. Me and my partner are both atheists. We weren't brought up in a religion either.
Anything and everything

Posted from TSR Mobile
I guess you go with the flow.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Yasmin25
No. Me and my partner are both atheists. We weren't brought up in a religion either.

What about your background ? Scottish? Its just I saw your name as "Yasmin" which is generally a Muslim name.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IMBCFC
What about your background ? Scottish? Its just I saw your name as "Yasmin" which is generally a Muslim name.

Posted from TSR Mobile

All my family come from Scotland, same as me. There's no muslims whatsoever in my family or background. My mum just named me after her fave model - Yasmin Le Bon. Lol.
Reply 18
Me and Pamela Handerson don't do much talking :sexface:
I overwork and underpay my girlfriend so she doesn't have time to talk :biggrin:

However on the times we do talk it is usually about one of the following topics :

-A certain house we saw and how we could improve it.
-A certain car or rather what car she wants next, she is one of those that gets a different car every 3-4 months.
-Where and when to go for holiday.
-Food.
-Politics and usually she will say how bad something is in Norway and I will tell her wait till you see how bad it is in Britain.
-Lunacy of religions or the religious.
-The latest handbags or dresses she thinks she will buy.
-Work.
-Investments.
-Our day in general and what we would do to people who pissed us off if there wasn't anything else to think of.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending