The Student Room Group

Interview

What was the interview to attend oxford university like? What sort of questions were asked, what responses seemed to impress the interviewer, things like that.
Thanks
What subject?
Reply 2
Original post by Lucilou101
What subject?

I'm personally looking to enter into a medicine course but I'm interested in the questions and answers of interviews concerning other subjects too
(edited 9 years ago)
For medicine its a combination of science questions and ethics questions, sometimes split into different interviews. You're also interviewed at two colleges, so 4+ interviews is the norm.

The science questions will build on your knowledge from your studies - chemistry, biology, physics. They frequently take a medical slant, though clearly they don't expect you to have knowledge of medicine itself. I had questions about the cell cycle, chromosomes, clotting cascade, deriving equations defining blood flow, calculating concentrations, thermoregulation, evolution. One I was given a picture of something down a microscope and told to describe the tissues seen. I was also given a couple of abstract questions for which oxford has a reputation - namely this one http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/phy99/phy99xx1.htm (its very famous so I'll share).

The main point of questions is to find something that you have no idea about, then encouraging you to use what you do know to work out the possible answers. It can be very conceptual. Its about seeing how you think, not how much you know.

This is very contrasting to medicine interviews at other universities.
Reply 4
Original post by nexttime
For medicine its a combination of science questions and ethics questions, sometimes split into different interviews. You're also interviewed at two colleges, so 4+ interviews is the norm.

The science questions will build on your knowledge from your studies - chemistry, biology, physics. They frequently take a medical slant, though clearly they don't expect you to have knowledge of medicine itself. I had questions about the cell cycle, chromosomes, clotting cascade, deriving equations defining blood flow, calculating concentrations, thermoregulation, evolution. One I was given a picture of something down a microscope and told to describe the tissues seen. I was also given a couple of abstract questions for which oxford has a reputation - namely this one http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/phy99/phy99xx1.htm (its very famous so I'll share).

The main point of questions is to find something that you have no idea about, then encouraging you to use what you do know to work out the possible answers. It can be very conceptual. Its about seeing how you think, not how much you know.

This is very contrasting to medicine interviews at other universities.

Oh gosh, that sounds horrific haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending