The Student Room Group

is make up really necessary? opinions guys n girls?

Scroll to see replies

Really unncessary.

Someone plastered with make-up is a walking neon that reads "I'm still very insecure".

Though on occasions a small amount can enhance someone's looks.
Reply 21
Original post by karmacrunch
I agree but I think that make up should be used to accentuate your features not to make new ones :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What she said!
Original post by Aivicore
^ This.

What I can't tolerate is people who think they're better than other women for not wearing makeup, and the reverse.

Wait, so we're allowed to be enhanced, but not *too* enhanced? Drawing around your eye is fine, but re-shaping your eyebrow is evil trickery?? :lol:

I didn't say you're not allowed that's just my opinion, anyone can if they want. For example, some people use contouring to change their face completely.
If you usually wear make up and take it off one day and nobody recognises you... I think there is something wrong with that. :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wait, so we're allowed to be enhanced, but not *too* enhanced? Drawing around your eye is fine, but re-shaping your eyebrow is evil trickery?? :lol:

She said "I think". It's her personal preference.

Nobody is impinging upon your rights.
Original post by Dilsz
What she said!

Original post by StrangeBanana

Thank you both! :hugs:

(A hug is for banananaman too :tongue:)
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
I didn't say you're not allowed that's just my opinion, anyone can if they want. For example, some people use contouring to change their face completely.
If you usually wear make up and take it off one day and nobody recognises you... I think there is something wrong with that. :redface:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Personally I can't reason out "something wrong" when it doesn't hurt anybody, but fair enough. :smile:

There is a difference between trying to stop someone from having an opinion and simply asking them how they reached it.
I personally don't think it's necessary but that's because I never learnt how to apply it. I rarely wear make up- the only time I had full make up on was during my prom. I'll occasionally wear some mascara but that's it. I can understand why girls like to wear it if they need a bit of a confidence boost, however I think that they shouldn't have to hide behind excessive amounts.
There is a difference between trying to stop someone from having an opinion and simply asking them how they reached it.

I'm not sure what your point is :curious: You came across as more than slightly indignant in your post, as if replying to someone who had suggested all women should follow a strict make-up regime, when in fact they were merely expressing a preference.
(edited 9 years ago)
I hardly wear any make-up anymore, I found that when I wore it, it was only to cover up bad skin, but wearing make-up made my skin worse. I just use skin cleansing products now, and every now and again I'll wear make-up if I want to look specially nice for something. You know, like a night out or a fancy meal.
Personally I can't reason out "something wrong" when it doesn't hurt anybody, but fair enough. :smile:

Sorry, just to add when you say "it doesn't hurt anybody", I think it can sometimes. For example, if you had been wearing lots of make up for a while, you had partner etc. Say if you removed all the make up, your partner might be shocked. Although beauty might be a superficial, thing it could hurt them and they believe you to be less attractive etc. Then again that is pretty shallow. Yeah... That's it! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's down to personal choice. Personally I wear makeup most of the time and so do all of my friends, it's just out of habit I suppose and it just became the 'done' thing when I started sixth form. But if you're happy then do as you please!! It's expensive and time consuming anyway:wink:
Sorry, just to add when you say "it doesn't hurt anybody", I think it can sometimes. For example, if you had been wearing lots of make up for a while, you had partner etc. Say if you removed all the make up, your partner might be shocked. Although beauty might be a superficial, thing it could hurt them and they believe you to be less attractive etc. Then again that is pretty shallow. Yeah... That's it! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair enough, I can see where you're coming from... Though I can't help but think it's pretty unlikely for anyone to be that easily fooled in real life. I don't think my partner actually believes my skin is perfectly porcelain or my eyelids are blue! :p:

I'm not sure what your point is :curious: You came across as more than slightly indignant in your post, as if replying to someone who had suggested all women should follow a strict make-up regime, when in fact they were merely expressing a preference.

My point was that I wasn't meaning to attack her, I was simply curious because I couldn't reason it that way myself. I think the " :lol: " -smiley in my first post made it clear I was being tongue-in-cheek.
I wear make up but in a 'natural' way. Just powder to stop shine and mascara. Ive always been rubbish at applying it or I would probably wear more.

Quick Reply

Latest