The Student Room Group

Student bank account refusal? (Halifax)

A couple of days ago I went to Halifax to open a student account as they offer a great overdraft. After 30 minutes of answering questions the 'computer' refused my application. It was pretty amazing as I had no idea I would be turned down and thought any student was eligible to open one. The lady didn't state why and said I should try again in 3 months (I'm not).

I'm 21 with an ok income and use my bank quite a lot. I don't have a bad credit history and have paid bills/contracts on time. I've also never had a problem opening an account at a bank before, they also refused a regular current account.

So my question is has anyone else had experience with student account refusal and any ideas why? Also if anyone knows of other good student accounts that are out there please recommend (hopefully ones that won't refuse me).

Many thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ATDENT
A couple of days ago I went to Halifax to open a student account as they offer a great overdraft. After 30 minutes of answering questions the 'computer' refused my application. It was pretty amazing as I had no idea I would be turned down and thought any student was eligible to open one. The lady didn't state why and said I should try again in 3 months (I'm not).

I'm 21 with an ok income and use my bank quite a lot. I don't have a bad credit history and have paid bills/contracts on time. I've also never had a problem opening an account at a bank before, they also refused a regular current account.

So my question is has anyone else had experience with student account refusal and any ideas why? Also if anyone knows of other good student accounts that are out there please recommend (hopefully ones that won't refuse me).

Many thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you already started university? I thought you couldn't open a student bank account unless you have a unconditional offer or until August/September when you've got your grades and your place has been confirmed. That may be why she asked you to come back after a few months
Reply 2
Original post by ~ Aquamarine ~
Have you already started university? I thought you couldn't open a student bank account unless you have a unconditional offer or until August/September when you've got your grades and your place has been confirmed. That may be why she asked you to come back after a few months

Hi, I don't start until September but hold a unconditional offer which I showed her and she said it was fine. I know my friends have had no problem opening an account so it's pretty frustrating :frown:!

Have you opened a student account? Any recommendations if so?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
They turned me down as well when I originally went with them. I ended up going with the Co-Op (they offered the highest guaranteed overdraft at the time)

If you were mainly going with Halifax for the overdraft (which I was) you may be pleased to know that very few people will be offered even half of the maximum overdraft they offer (which was £3,000 at the time) - the average overdraft offered back then still was way behind the highest guaranteed overdraft limit.

EDIT: Might be worth mentioning they gave me a ~18 month interest free credit card about 18 months later with a credit limit of more than twice the maximum overdraft limit so I have a feeling they put different criteria when offering an interest-free overdraft to students.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ATDENT
Hi, I don't start until September but hold a unconditional offer which I showed her and she said it was fine. I know my friends have had no problem opening an account so it's pretty frustrating :frown:!

Have you opened a student account? Any recommendations if so?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah how odd. I have an unconditional offer too but haven't went to open one yet. Maybe the lady never realized that you could open one now since you have an unconditional. I think if you still want to open an Halifax account then go back and speak with someone else. Make sure you bring your UCAS letter showing that you have a unconditional offer and have already accepted your place to go there in September :redface:
Reply 5
Original post by Noble.
They turned me down as well when I originally went with them. I ended up going with the Co-Op (they offered the highest guaranteed overdraft at the time)

If you were mainly going with Halifax for the overdraft (which I was) you may be pleased to know that very few people will be offered even half of the maximum overdraft they offer (which was £3,000 at the time) - the average overdraft offered back then still was way behind the highest guaranteed overdraft limit.

EDIT: Might be worth mentioning they gave me a ~18 month interest free credit card about 18 months later with a credit limit of more than twice the maximum overdraft limit so I have a feeling they put different criteria when offering an interest-free overdraft to students.

I was originally going with them because they offered a £1,000 overdraft to start with and then 'up to' £3,000.

Do you know of any that aren't a pain to be accepted for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by ATDENT
I was originally going with them because they offered a £1,000 overdraft to start with and then 'up to' £3,000.

Do you know of any that aren't a pain to be accepted for?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Co-op are good, I applied online and received an instant decision. I also think they've got pretty decent customer service.

Have a look here, it should be of some use:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/students/Student-bank-account
Reply 7
Original post by ~ Aquamarine ~
Ah how odd. I have an unconditional offer too but haven't went to open one yet. Maybe the lady never realized that you could open one now since you have an unconditional. I think if you still want to open an Halifax account then go back and speak with someone else. Make sure you bring your UCAS letter showing that you have a unconditional offer and have already accepted your place to go there in September :redface:

I think I'll just wait closer to the time of starting and maybe browse around and try a different bank.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Noble.
Co-op are good, I applied online and received an instant decision. I also think they've got pretty decent customer service.

Have a look here, it should be of some use:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/students/Student-bank-account

Thanks! I know people have said Co-Op are good so I'll definitely look at that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
I went today to open an student account with Halifax and wasn't able to as well, but luckily I had a friendly assistant who explained to me, why this was so and I'm assuming that it would also apply to everyone who wants to open a student account with Halifax. Basically the lady told me that the systems have not started upgrading accounts to student accounts as of yet and that after the 8th of August the branches will start offering this account. Basically we jumped the gun a little too early and just have to wait a few more days until we can start applying for the Halifax student account.

Though it was rude or the person who served you to bother explaining this to you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending