The Student Room Group

My ordeal applying for the National Scholarship Programme (NSP)

Firstly I'd like to ask any advisors if they could kindly point me in the right direction if there is anything more that can be done. I'd also like to express that I realise this is not a entitlement but I should have at least an equal opportunity at receiving it.

So if you're not familiar with the NSP it is an award for students that meet a certain eligibility criteria that generally puts them in a disadvantageous position such as parental income or a low socio economic background.

Here is the full list of eligibility criteria from my university.

I would like to point out that I meet ALL bullet points in that list. The reason I did not get considered for this award was because my ADIF and Birth Certificate was requested from student finance and by the time I had been able to order a Birth Certificate and find an appropriate counter-signature and then wait in the long queue of processing the deadline for the scholarship had passed, I cannot provide proof of date of post but I did gather the information as fast as possible. Despite this, both Student Finance England and the University have said there is nothing more they can do, the worst part to the story is that because I did not receive the scholarship the first year I cannot receive it for any year of study which amounts to a lot of money I will never get.

I am now is awful financial detriment and may even consider leaving university because of this. Any help would be much appreciated :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by cameron1993
Firstly I'd like to ask any advisors if they could kindly point me in the right direction if there is anything more that can be done. I'd also like to express that I realise this is not a entitlement but I should have at least an equal opportunity at receiving it.

So if you're not familiar with the NSP it is an award for students that meet a certain eligibility criteria that generally puts them in a disadvantageous position such as parental income or a low socio economic background.

I would like to point out that I meet ALL bullet points in that list. The reason I did not get considered for this award was because my ADIF and Birth Certificate was requested from student finance and by the time I had been able to order a Birth Certificate and find an appropriate counter-signature and then wait in the long queue of processing the deadline for the scholarship had passed, I cannot provide proof of date of post but I did gather the information as fast as possible. Despite this, both Student Finance England and the University have said there is nothing more they can do, the worst part to the story is that because I did not receive the scholarship the first year I cannot receive it for any year of study which amounts to a lot of money I will never get.

I am now is awful financial detriment and may even consider leaving university because of this. Any help would be much appreciated :smile:

Unless I've missed something that link you gave says the deadline is the 31st July and its only the 16th today.
Reply 2
Original post by jelly1000
Unless I've missed something that link you gave says the deadline is the 31st July and its only the 16th today.

This was for last year, sorry I wasn't clear about that.
Reply 3
Original post by cameron1993

Sorry to hear this. I have no useful advice to give you. Just want to say that you are not alone. My ADIF birth certificate thingy has been rejected repeatedly (for silly reasons) and I will miss the NSP because of this. I might even get my finacne late and won't be able to go to uni at all despite applying well before the deadline. I feel your pain, :frown: sorry.
Reply 4
Original post by alapa
Sorry to hear this. I have no useful advice to give you. Just want to say that you are not alone. My ADIF birth certificate thingy has been rejected repeatedly (for silly reasons) and I will miss the NSP because of this. I might even get my finacne late and won't be able to go to uni at all despite applying well before the deadline. I feel your pain, :frown: sorry.

Sorry to hear, I'm sure something needs to be done to eradicate this archaic system. All it takes is rational thinking and the correct information to see where the money is deserved, too many people get screwed by SFE and the university regulations/policies. Best of luck. My ADIF form also got rejected once, for an 'illegible postcode'. Which I actually saved a copy of - it was clearly readable of course... Haha.
(edited 9 years ago)
Just a little bump

-Do all those who are eligible and apply get the NSP?
Original post by Kolasinac138
Just a little bump

-Do all those who are eligible and apply get the NSP?

No, there are a limited number of bursaries- on Brunel Uni's website it says:
Where more applicants meet the criteria than there are bursaries available, priority will be given to applicants who made Brunel their firm choice through UCAS and who score the highest number of points from the under-represented criteria.
No, there are a limited number of bursaries- on Brunel Uni's website it says:
Where more applicants meet the criteria than there are bursaries available, priority will be given to applicants who made Brunel their firm choice through UCAS and who score the highest number of points from the under-represented criteria.

My main choice is LSE.

So when do you apply for NSP?
My main choice is LSE.

So when do you apply for NSP?

Obviously I know its different for each uni, I was just giving an example.
The LSE website doesn't have much information on it.
Obviously I know its different for each uni, I was just giving an example.
The LSE website doesn't have much information on it.

I mean for Brunel for example, when would you apply?
I mean for Brunel for example, when would you apply?

By the 31st July

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending