The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

FALSE rape accusations are the new epidemic. Lives are being destroyed everyday.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I know a guy that never had sex with a girl ,and the girl lied on purpose, he had loads of trouble before the police said he was innocent , the girl had nothing done to her ,but he was arrested handcuffed in front of me and they put him in the police station before releasing him....:mad:

The girl got nothing for lying, since then that guy hate women.
Original post by ClickItBack
It's never that cut and dry with these cases. That Oxford Union chap had his name dragged through mud for an age and a half even though the woman who accused him had absolutely no evidence at all - literally, she'd apparently cheated on her boyfriend with him and turned up crying in front of her friends, and when asked why went straight into victim mode. If cases can stretch that long with that nonsense, it's entirely possible that some men get convicted when they shouldn't be.

Every crime carries the potential for miscarriages of justice, of course, but false rape accusers seem to get off tremendously lightly. In the case above the woman admitted herself she made up the story and police found Facebook messages showing she knew it was a lie; but she appears to have escaped punishment altogether. Moreover the social stigma is clearly asymmetrical: even though she's a proven perjurer and near enough ruined an innocent person's life (not to mention attempted to get him put in jail), how much media coverage do you see of her? Has there even been any condemnation of her actions from a prominent media source or student organization?

This asymmetry is a result of a desire to not 'discourage rape victims from coming forward' but it distorts the landscape in favour of false accusers hugely.

There's also no point in trying to rationalise their actions in the face of a low chance of conviction. These people are twisted criminals and are not going to think in the same way you do - just as I can't enter into the mindset of a rapist.

He wasn't actually charged. Surely that counts for something? The fault in that case clearly lay with the publicity surrounding his arrest, I guess like a lot of high profile people, the pressure to get it into the media was irresistible. I'm not excusing her conduct though, or that of some of the more vocal accusers in the Union in the case, as they should learn to shut up in legal cases and let justice run its course.
Original post by Minchui
I know a guy that never had sex with a girl ,and the girl lied on purpose, he had loads of trouble before the police said he was innocent , the girl had nothing done to her ,but he was arrested handcuffed in front of me and they put him in the police station before releasing him....:mad:

The girl got nothing for lying, since then that guy hate women.
Poor guy. Women are too powerful in this day and age.
Reply 63
Original post by SuperDuperNoob
Poor guy. Women are too powerful in this day and age.

That guy was already shy with girls but now he's scared of them and hates them I honestly feel sorry for him.That bitch got nothing you know , she got away with no sanction...:mad:
Original post by Fullofsurprises
He wasn't actually charged. Surely that counts for something? The fault in that case clearly lay with the publicity surrounding his arrest, I guess like a lot of high profile people, the pressure to get it into the media was irresistible. I'm not excusing her conduct though, or that of some of the more vocal accusers in the Union in the case, as they should learn to shut up in legal cases and let justice run its course.

Fair point.

I do agree that, certainly in the UK, the idea that false rape accusations are an epidemic is laughable. Our justice system retains integrity, unlike that of campus rape justice in the US (or, on the other foot, village rape tribunals against women in much of the developing world).

My main consternation is the asymmetry of punishment. I'm not saying a false accuser should do the same time as a rapist necessarily, but when reading cases where they are proved to have malicious intent but get off with 180 days community service, where the guy they libelled may have ended up with 5-10 years in prison, the situation seems horribly off kilter to me.
One thing I really don't understand is why, when presenting statistics, all rape accusations are treated as true and only the ones proven false are treated as false?

IIRC the FBI did an inverstigation where they looked at cases and decided which were false allegations and which were true on a more likely than not basis (so not like in court) and got that 10% were false allegations.
Reply 66
It did happen to me last year when I was 16 , I was at home the police came and told my parents on my birthday , that I was arrested for rape charges , they handcuffed me in front of my whole family. Everyone knew I was innocent because I don't even talk to girls (religious) ,when I was handcuffed I had two police officer dragging me in the street in each harm people were looking at me like I was a criminal.

You are supposed to be "Innocent" until proven guilty. Unfortunately in real life it's not like that they put you straight in the cell ,they take your finger print+photo and treat you like a criminal.

The next day they release me but told me to not go near her house or they will arrest me , that evil witch lives in the same road as me.So for one month I had to stay in an hotel (paid by my parents ), go to the police station in the dates given to me (I was release on bail,then that horrible women admitted that she lied, the police didn't even said sorry or anything to me they told me 'we are just doing our jobs' , The girl got nothing for lying they didn't even pressed charged against her.

I was already shy with girls but since that day I hate them ,when I see one coming near me I just get mad., I guess I'm tromised for life.

Sorry for my English , I'm not born here.
Original post by ClickItBack
Fair point.

I do agree that, certainly in the UK, the idea that false rape accusations are an epidemic is laughable. Our justice system retains integrity, unlike that of campus rape justice in the US (or, on the other foot, village rape tribunals against women in much of the developing world).

My main consternation is the asymmetry of punishment. I'm not saying a false accuser should do the same time as a rapist necessarily, but when reading cases where they are proved to have malicious intent but get off with 180 days community service, where the guy they libelled may have ended up with 5-10 years in prison, the situation seems horribly off kilter to me.

It isn't at all easy or straightforward for the prosecution authorities to get a conviction for rape and send someone away for many years. They invariably need more than just the woman's word for it and preferably they need evidence from multiple victims. There seems to be a delusion amongst some men that somehow a woman can just accuse them of rape and that's it, presto, they are in prison. Absolute nonsense. The reality is that many, many women go through hell in court trying to get justice in rape cases, only for it to be thrown back in their faces.
Original post by Mystory
It did happen to me last year when I was 16 , I was at home the police came and told my parents on my birthday , that I was arrested for rape charges , they handcuffed me in front of my whole family. Everyone knew I was innocent because I don't even talk to girls (religious) ,when I was handcuffed I had two police officer dragging me in the street in each harm people were looking at me like I was a criminal.

You are supposed to be "Innocent" until proven guilty. Unfortunately in real life it's not like that they put you straight in the cell ,they take your finger print+photo and treat you like a criminal.

The next day they release me but told me to not go near her house or they will arrest me , that evil witch lives in the same road as me.So for one month I had to stay in an hotel (paid by my parents ), go to the police station in the dates given to me (I was release on bail,then that horrible women admitted that she lied, the police didn't even said sorry or anything to me they told me 'we are just doing our jobs' , The girl got nothing for lying they didn't even pressed charged against her.

I was already shy with girls but since that day I hate them ,when I see one coming near me I just get mad., I guess I'm tromised for life.

Sorry for my English , I'm not born here.

Which country did that happen in?

I don't think you would have been arrested and told not to go near her unless there was more evidence than just her word for it. You aren't telling us everything presumably.
It isn't at all easy or straightforward for the prosecution authorities to get a conviction for rape and send someone away for many years. They invariably need more than just the woman's word for it and preferably they need evidence from multiple victims. There seems to be a delusion amongst some men that somehow a woman can just accuse them of rape and that's it, presto, they are in prison. Absolute nonsense. The reality is that many, many women go through hell in court trying to get justice in rape cases, only for it to be thrown back in their faces.

If you read my post, you'd see that I agree entirely with you that false rape accusations will rarely get through the courts here.

That is completely independent of my opinion that the punishment for malicious accusations is too lenient/non-existent.
Reply 70
Which country did that happen in?

I don't think you would have been arrested and told not to go near her unless there was more evidence than just her word for it. You aren't telling us everything presumably.

Rape is a very serious crime. In a he/she said situation it is very difficult to ascertain the facts and unfortunately, the police in the UK believe word per word the victim ,basically the guy is convicts till proven innocent.

I have actually been falsely accused of raping a woman and it wasn't pleasant. The reasons it seems, were:

1. She felt ashamed that she'd had an affair and wanted to justify the extra-marital sex to herself.

2. She wanted to punish me (why I don't know).

When it eventually came to light that she was lying (she never turned up in court) I actually felt sorry for her, even though I had been incarcerated and questioned for nothing.

I don't know how often this happens, but it does. The reasons must be different, yet overlapping with revenge and justification being somewhere in there.

Theres been instances when a young girl said she was raped when the young girl lied and was still a virgin.Ive also heard of a young girl who had mental problems because she constantly made up storys on people-then she made up a rape story against a man who was wrongly convicted, who later found out about tge girls making up storys problem but he couldnot use that anyway because of the rapeshield law that says you cant use anything against a rape victem.His life was destroyed.The young girl eventualy admitted to her relation that she made up the rape story .

The Court never reversed his conviction because the girl took the 5th fearing she would be prosecuted.
Lives are being ruined everyday?!

Yeah they are nowhere near as many though as people who have actually been raped but are too scared to report it

i cannot believe there are people on here that support twice the sentence for a false accusation. Yes it ruins lives but suggesting that should happen would cause alot more damage than good and discourage actual victims coming forward even more.
Original post by tillytots
Lives are being ruined everyday?!

Yeah they are nowhere near as many though as people who have actually been raped but are too scared to report it

i cannot believe there are people on here that support twice the sentence for a false accusation. Yes it ruins lives but suggesting that should happen would cause alot more damage than good and discourage actual victims coming forward even more.

In the eye-for-an-eye world, the punishment should be the same penalty as the person who was initally accused of rape would have received if the accuser had been successful PLUS fines for all of the legal machinations for what the police and court systems had to go through to undo the malicious prosecution.

Of course, this can only be done if you can PROVE that the accusing was done with the full knowledge that the person being accused was not the rapist (or that there was no rape).
Original post by Imouf

The Court never reversed his conviction because the girl took the 5th fearing she would be prosecuted.

Are you in the US? There's no 'taking the 5th' in the UK.
Original post by Guji4ever
In the eye-for-an-eye world, the punishment should be the same penalty as the person who was initally accused of rape would have received if the accuser had been successful PLUS fines for all of the legal machinations for what the police and court systems had to go through to undo the malicious prosecution.

Of course, this can only be done if you can PROVE that the accusing was done with the full knowledge that the person being accused was not the rapist (or that there was no rape).

No intelligent modern legal system would work like that. I suggest you seek out a Sharia state, you obviously prefer to get medieval.
No intelligent modern legal system would work like that. I suggest you seek out a Sharia state, you obviously prefer to get medieval.

You have some issues , equal rights...

intelligent modern system ,sending innocent men in jail because of false accusation is 'modern ' according to you '?
Original post by Guji4ever
You have some issues , equal rights...

intelligent modern system ,sending innocent men in jail because of false accusation is 'modern ' according to you '?

Which country are you talking about? There seem to be some confusions in the thread, I think some posters are not discussing the UK legal system. If you are talking about the UK, you're talking crap. It's terribly difficult to obtain a rape conviction here and it would never just be because of an accusation. I think you need to read into the subject properly and stop believing web thread bull****.
Reply 77

Before you start to label this as an epidemic, take a look at this infographic:

(Rather than rapists, it should say rapes).

So yes, the average man is safe.

Instead of looking at men falsely accused, look at the number who get away with it because the girl was 'asking for it' or 'too drunk to accurately remember', or even just too scared to report it. If they are too drunk to remember, they are also too drunk to give consent.
(edited 9 years ago)
Which country are you talking about? There seem to be some confusions in the thread, I think some posters are not discussing the UK legal system. If you are talking about the UK, you're talking crap. It's terribly difficult to obtain a rape conviction here and it would never just be because of an accusation. I think you need to read into the subject properly and stop believing web thread bull****.

So you agree that women that make false rape accusation on purpose should not get the same sentence as rapists?

I think you need some help mate,these kind of false rape accusation are increasing in the UK , because they know they can get away with it.
'Fewer than one rape victim in 30 can expect to see her or his attacker brought to justice, shocking new statistics reveal.'
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/100000-assaults-1000-rapists-sentenced-shockingly-low-conviction-rates-revealed-8446058.html

Original statistics from home office research, even with methodology based in estimates, it is clear that Rape is a massively underreported crime.

Underreported by victims, systematically mal-handled by the police because of the nature of the evidence, and rarely prosecutes the perpetrator, agains because the nature of the evidence counts against it.
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending