The Student Room Group

Doing CIE Further Mathematics without doing CIE A Level Mathematics?

Admittedly this sounds a little absurd but I want to know your opinion on someone doing CIE further maths without even doing a level maths first.

Is it possible seeing that the syllabus states that prior knowledge of the a level math syllabus is assumed? Can you not just learn it as though it is all new content just like any other subject?

I know it is considered to be one of the more difficult courses but I just started learning it today (complex numbers and argand diagrams etc) and it seems manageable to me. However, would I encounter content further down that would absolutely require prior knowledge? Also, I plan on self studying it as my school does not offer it and i cannot access FMSP since I do not live in the UK. What are your opinions?

P.S. If you want to know of my mathematical abilities : I was the third best in maths in my year of 114 students and got an A* in GCSE maths as well as in 13 other subjects. Please give me your honest opinions on my situation.

Thank you.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
You will encounter plenty of content that requires prior knowledge, and the exams can test anything learned in regular maths in theory (this equates to needing to use something from A-level maths as a stage in a calculation). A key example is calculus, which is taught in normal maths. Further maths deals with this assuming you already are pretty good at integration and differentiation, and so plows straight into difficult integrals or unusual methods.

I wouldn't recommend anyone take further maths without normal maths, no matter the exam board. And I'm not even sure the board would allow it.
Reply 2
Original post by tory88
You will encounter plenty of content that requires prior knowledge, and the exams can test anything learned in regular maths in theory (this equates to needing to use something from A-level maths as a stage in a calculation). A key example is calculus, which is taught in normal maths. Further maths deals with this assuming you already are pretty good at integration and differentiation, and so plows straight into difficult integrals or unusual methods.

I wouldn't recommend anyone take further maths without normal maths, no matter the exam board. And I'm not even sure the board would allow it.

Thanks a lot for responding. I don't think I would bother to attempt it without a level math. However, since the prerequisite is a level maths, I would now need to do A level maths in year 12 followed by further math in year 13.

How exactly does one do the full A level math in one year(CIE of course)? I've heard about "fast track" and "accelerated" options but my school doesn't offer either of those options so I want to do it privately.

Do you do some units in November then the others in June or all in June?
Reply 3
Original post by Rjkooljay
Thanks a lot for responding. I don't think I would bother to attempt it without a level math. However, since the prerequisite is a level maths, I would now need to do A level maths in year 12 followed by further math in year 13.

How exactly does one do the full A level math in one year(CIE of course)? I've heard about "fast track" and "accelerated" options but my school doesn't offer either of those options so I want to do it privately.

Do you do some units in November then the others in June or all in June?

There are two common ways to do maths and further maths:
* Maths in year 12, further in year 13
* Both ASs in year 12, both A2s in year 13

Which method is chosen depends on the school, but either way will give you the same qualifications (AS further maths only relies on AS maths, so no problems there either).

Quick Reply

Latest