The Student Room Group

200 mile motorway journey- 70 mph or 60 mph?

Scroll to see replies

Stay at 56 mph with the HGVs and you'll have some change to pay for your sweeties kiddo
Reply 21
Don't drive at 60. It's annoying and inconsiderate. The law allows you to drive at 70 (unless you're towing a caravan or trailer). Don't hog the left lane and crawl at a snail's pace of 60 mph, it's annoying.
Id do 65...
Assuming non stop, I'd do 70mph, hate sitting in a car for hours on end.

And to cap it all, I'd have the air con on :biggrin:
Original post by Stinkum
Don't drive at 60. It's annoying and inconsiderate. The law allows you to drive at 70 (unless you're towing a caravan or trailer). Don't hog the left lane and crawl at a snail's pace of 60 mph, it's annoying.

What's wrong with doing 60 in the left hand lane?
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
Assuming non stop, I'd do 70mph, hate sitting in a car for hours on end.

And to cap it all, I'd have the air con on :biggrin:

What speed would you drive at if there was no limit ?
Reply 26
Original post by SeamanStaines
What's wrong with doing 60 in the left hand lane?

You shouldn't be driving at 60 if the law allows you to drive at 70. Like I said, unless you're restricted to 60, there's really no point in doing it. It's not very considerate for drivers who want to do 70 in the left lane, for example. They're forced to have to overtake you.
Original post by Stinkum
You shouldn't be driving at 60 if the law allows you to drive at 70. Like I said, unless you're restricted to 60, there's really no point in doing it. It's not very considerate for drivers who want to do 70 in the left lane, for example. They're forced to have to overtake you.

Strong attempt to troll/10
What speed would you drive at if there was no limit ?

No point going flat out (which is around 140 in my car) otherwise I'd have to stop for fuel, which defeats the point. I get almost exactly 400 miles to a tank at motorway speeds, so I'd probably stick to 70, then I can make it back without refuelling.
Go at 77 mph. You get 10% leeway if you get prosecuted.
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
No point going flat out (which is around 140 in my car) otherwise I'd have to stop for fuel, which defeats the point. I get almost exactly 400 miles to a tank at motorway speeds, so I'd probably stick to 70, then I can make it back without refuelling.

If you did 140 you'd still spend a lot less time on the road even if refuelling
Original post by Drewski
When do the aliens get here?

Should I modify the numbers and build in a redundancy for looking after an elephant?

What happens if your legs turn to jam in the middle of the presentation?

There most definitely are stupid questions in life.

To add to this

"Is mayonnaise an instrument"

Any way, Id do the speed limit. 70mph is good enough as a compromise for speed/fuel economy. It's also legal
Original post by de_monies
To add to this

"Is mayonnaise an instrument"

Any way, Id do the speed limit. 70mph is good enough as a compromise for speed/fuel economy. It's also legal

If the speed limit was 100, what would you do?
If the speed limit was 100, what would you do?

Might do 100 tbh, because the legal limit is 100

I've always been taught to drive to the limit wherever necessary

That being said, technically Im actually doing 65-67Mph at "70mph"
Original post by de_monies
Might do 100 tbh, because the legal limit is 100

I've always been taught to drive to the limit wherever necessary

That being said, technically Im actually doing 65-67Mph at "70mph"

100 would be horrendous on the fuel economy. I for one would still drive at 60 if the limit was 100
Reply 35
Stay at 56 mph with the HGVs and you'll have some change to pay for your sweeties kiddo

But that's boring

Posted from TSR Mobile
100 would be horrendous on the fuel economy. I for one would still drive at 60 if the limit was 100

It would be, and I see how this is a contradictory stance to what I had earlier. I guess if I kept in the left lane doing 70, I wouldnt mind that
Original post by Andy98
But that's boring

Posted from TSR Mobile

Driving at 70 is thrilling isn't it
70mph

I like driving but I'm far too impatient to think about saving money if I have to drive for that long!
Reply 39
Driving at 70 is thrilling isn't it

Meh, bit higher

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending