The Student Room Group

I'm a 2:2 graduate I can't even get minimum wage jobs

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SloaneRanger
http://certification.salesforce.com

https://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-gb/dynamics-certification.aspx

Each company uses a different one, you need to get an accreditation. If my uncle didn't tell me this i would use physical intervention into asking why.

Dress it however you want.

Sales is more about people skills than academia.
Sales is the most thought out process, LMAO. If you have no buyer through creating a need, then no ££££. Your business will go bust, GCSE Business Studies 101. Again if my trainer aka uncle was showing me this i would confront him. Me and my director have bad a very verbal spats this weekend.

And you can learn all of these skills on the job.

I have so many friends doing sales, its about people skills. Only because you are smart academically does not mean you have that.
Original post by fat_hobbit
He is trolling me.

Him and Tom Ford.

Stimulus whores.

Yes, I've noticed you seem to have a "complicated" relationship. It's perplexing.

Which is what I am trying to tell these idiots - sloane etc. But they are shoving their elitism down mine and others throat, maybe I am the fool for entertaining it.

This seems to suggest you feel that working at "corporates" is indeed better than for an SME or similar. Whether you're employed in one or the other, does it actually matter?
Dress it however you want.

Sales is more about people skills than academia.

You have to learn the psychology behind it why do u think people like jordan belfort gets paid millions and millions of pounds a week into training up sales people for large corporations, LMAO. He is just one, but he showing you how the mind operates and how to get people to say yes. Again if my uncle wasn't teaching me the methods, i would confront him and ask why not. He is hindering your development, as a person. You know that a reception/pa - gatekeeper even gets taught, they are the most educated people you can meet,lol.
Smack, look at the way these guys are talking.

By the way I know you are a fellow Aberdeen grad, did you read the **** Sloane was coming out with about our uni earlier on?

I'm actually an RGU grad, and don't have the patience to try and decipher his use of English either.
Original post by cactussed
Yes, I've noticed you seem to have a "complicated" relationship. It's perplexing.

This seems to suggest you feel that working at "corporates" is indeed better than for an SME or similar. Whether you're employed in one or the other, does it actually matter?

No, the problem I have, is the headache I get from these types.

They feel that they have the right to undermine anyone who is not corporate. Tomorrow if I was worth billions, Sloane will still use my UCAS points against me. One just has to read how he dissed Alan Sugar because he is not a big boy amongst the rich. The irony is Alan Sugar, is a sales man, and a more successful sales man than he is without 15 million academic qualifications behind him.

Thats how I know his job is a joke from an academic pov
And you can learn all of these skills on the job.

I have so many friends doing sales, its about people skills. Only because you are smart academically does not mean you have that.

This is why i want you to confront your boss and ask why doesn't he feel the need to tell you these things.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2007/jan/20/partyfunding.politics

This is an example of a high level gatekeeper. Very well educated, you need the psychological techniques to get past this person imagine trying to get the attention of a director incredibly high up at IBM. Its very possible you need to learn the strategy, its hours and hours of work and practice.

Just think how nasty he has been to not show you this.
Original post by Smack
I'm actually an RGU grad, and don't have the patience to try and decipher his use of English either.

Well either way, he will undermine you as an engineer.

They feel that they have the right to undermine anyone who is not corporate. Tomorrow if I was worth billions, Sloane will still use my UCAS points against me. One just has to read how he dissed Alan Sugar because he is not a big boy amongst the rich. The irony is Alan Sugar, is a sales man, and a more successful sales man than he is without 15 million academic qualifications behind him.

Come back down to Earth, we do not speak in hyperbole around here.

He knows how to get to decision makers, he is self taught, do you know even what decision maker is. I had to explain it to you, that was the worrying factor. You confront the people holding you back, reform the inner circle. That is what is needed, i change things all the time, its the only way to go forward.
This is why i want you to confront your boss and ask why doesn't he feel the need to tell you these things.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2007/jan/20/partyfunding.politics

This is an example of a high level gatekeeper. Very well educated, you need the psychological techniques to get past this person imagine trying to get the attention of a director incredibly high up at IBM. Its very possible you need to learn the strategy, its hours and hours of work and practice.

Stop it, you are a salesman.

And if it required Stephan Hawkings style academia, you wouldn't have the Alan Sugar types making a **** load of money selling products.

More to the point, he probably deals with the cream of society due to his stature.
Dress it up however you want.

And if it required Stephan Hawkings style academia, you wouldn't have the Alan Sugar types making a **** load of money selling products.

He probably deals with these corporate decision makers every day.

There are a lot more academically able people in companies than there are Alan Sugars in the world. Again, stop speaking in hyperbole.
He knows how to get to decision makers, he is self taught, do you know even what decision maker is. I had to explain it to you, that was the worrying factor. You confront the people holding you back, reform the inner circle. That is what is needed, i change things all the time, its the only way to go forward.

Yes, but your job is not academic.

Alan Sugar didn't need to go to uni to do it.

I am a techie. I know technical things (which you have no idea about), that is my world, so don't patronise me.

I take it you don't work for a large company then? Is that out of choice?
Original post by Tom_Ford
There are a lot more academically able people in companies than there are Alan Sugars in the world. Again, stop speaking in hyperbole.

Yeah,like the guys who rejected you from polys right? Strong academic background, rejecting grads with 500 UCAS points

Anyway, we are talking about sales, you do not need strong academia to be a sales man - like sloane.

A brain surgeon on the other hand has to study medicine - as it is a science.

Again, dress it up however you both want, but that is fact.

More to the point, he probably deals with the cream of society due to his stature.

But the majority of those like Stephen Hawking don't look at the vast majority. The vast majority who do well at school go on to the best jobs. Whilst the vast majority like stephen hawking, no one knows!
Original post by cactussed
I take it you don't work for a large company then? Is that out of choice?

yes, start up guy.

Tried applying to grad schemes, got to the final round many times, but didn't break on. Same problem as tom ford. You need luck at interviews.
The experience thing isn't a bad idea. Too many people seem to think just because you've got a degree, you will walk into a job. Doesn't work like that, especially with a 2:2 and no experience...

I am surprised at how many people are saying they couldn't find jobs though. I finished uni at the end of May with a 2:1 in law and within a month I got myself a job in the NHS on decent pay, far above minimum wage. I don't have any office experience but expressed my enthusiasm and willingness to learn. Maybe I was just lucky but I saw loads of jobs to apply for and got a fair few interviews...probably something not quite right in your application/interview.
Yeah,like the guys who rejected you from polys right? Strong academic background, rejecting grads with 500 UCAS points

Anyway, we are talking about sales, you do not need strong academia to be a sales man - like sloane.

A brain surgeon on the other hand has to study medicine - as it is a science.

Again, dress it up however you both want, but that is fact.

Hey, i've already said that the firms you wanted to apply to did require these high UCAS points (apart from IBM). There are many many more academic types at these firms (which you want to apply for lol!) than there are in the smaller firms full of polytechnic graduates which I did get rejected from. But , the difference is, I have choice, you don't.
Yeah well don't make the actual jobs sound harder than they are, when they are not. Sales for example, what a ****ing joke. And Sloane needed x amount of UCAS points/2.1 degree just to get hired.

Company policy is creating the illusion that they are.

Only because it is an over subscribed market, and they have chosen to do things x way, does not mean their hiring process is fair.

I also have a personality and can charm people, certain people can't befriend others. Like if i see a nice HR women interviewing me - bang tidy. I would make a move, thats the difference, i can create an emotional dependency, some people can't.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending