The Student Room Group

What were your "wow we're poor" or "wow we are well off" moments when you were a kid?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Londonboy1234
I wonder how many of the people that are slyly bragging about their families wealth are actually 'well off'. I mean, I know people who's parents scrub supermarket floors for a living and live in three story houses and drive Audis.

Are you sure it isn't just the banker loaning them money that is well off? I'd define someone as "well off" if they own their house. If they have a mortgage I'd hardly call them 'well off'.

This is true. Many people live very wealthy lifestyles but in fact own very little of it. You don't have to have a substantial income to lease a Jaguar or have a large mortgage on a detached 4 bed house in a nice area.
Original post by SophieSmall
wow :/ it's scary how everything can just suddenly change like that.

Well, if you were actually 'well off' it wouldn't change like that. You'd own the house, the horses and have the money to go to private school. The banks wouldn't be able to take it all away.
Well, if you were actually 'well off' it wouldn't change like that. You'd own the house, the horses and have the money to go to private school. The banks wouldn't be able to take it all away.

Owning a house and horses doesn't keep you safe from changing circumstances if you've lost your source of income it just means you still have a roof over your head and a pony.

Not to mention "well off" is a very relative term.
(edited 9 years ago)
Owning a house and horses doesn't keep you safe from changing circumstances if you've lost your source of income it just means you still have a roof over your head and a pony.

But you don't "lose everything".

If she was truly "well off" they wouldn't have "lost everything" because it would have been theres. The people bragging about their huge houses most likely don't own them, the banker owns them. If their parents lost their job tomorrow who's house would it be?

This is why the country is so ****ed up. This is why a £100K a year job means nothing in Britain, because the greed of those on low salaries means the high earners have to pay big tax to subsidise their greed.
But you don't "lose everything".

If she was truly "well off" they wouldn't have "lost everything" because it would have been theres. The people bragging about their huge houses most likely don't own them, the banker owns them. If their parents lost their job tomorrow who's house would it be?

This is why the country is so ****ed up. This is why a £100K a year job means nothing in Britain, because the greed of those on low salaries means the high earners have to pay big tax to subsidise their greed.

As I said "well off" is a relative term, so you cannot just decide what is well off for the rest of us. To me someone on a 40k salary is well off, that's relative to me because we live on around 8k therefore I see 40k as well off.

I'm not even going to bother arguing with you on the last point you made.

Also if you have nothing to contribute on the topic of this thread go away.
As I said "well off" is a relative term, so you cannot just decide what is well off for the rest of us. To me someone on a 40k salary is well off, that's relative to me because we live on around 8k therefore I see 40k as well off.

I'm not even going to bother arguing with you on the last point you made.

Also if you have nothing to contribute on the topic of this thread go away.

I am contributing. I'm telling the people that are slyly bragging about how rich they are, that, in fact, it is the banker that is the rich one.
I am contributing. I'm telling the people that are slyly bragging about how rich they are, that, in fact, it is the banker that is the rich one.

You are not contributing you are arguing when this is not what the thread is for.
You are not contributing you are arguing when this is not what the thread is for.

What is it for, then? Bragging about how your parents could rival Bill Gates in an auction? Because that's what the majority are doing.
What is it for, then? Bragging about how your parents could rival Bill Gates in an auction? Because that's what the majority are doing.

If you can't figure out what the thread is for just from the title then you're a complete idiot.
not being able to go onto school trips
having to 'borrow' money from the school to get lunch
having to borrow money from neighbors to get food with
paying off bailiffs for my moms with my birthday money

being poor sucks
If you can't figure out what the thread is for just from the title then you're a complete idiot.

It's for stating when you first realised if you were poor or rich.

Instead it's been used as a platform to brag.
It's for stating when you first realised if you were poor or rich.

Instead it's been used as a platform to brag.

No it hasn't. Seriously why are you even commenting? Are you bitter about some of the comments because you don't have the stuff they have or something? You're being a complete ass.

Answering the question from the original post is not bragging it's answering a question.
No it hasn't. Seriously why are you even commenting? Are you bitter about some of the comments because you don't have the stuff they have or something? You're being a complete ass.

Answering the question from the original post is not bragging it's answering a question.

The question was about when they were children. Some are speaking about 'their' designer bags and watches.

I know some people are idiotic with Mr Bankers money, but I highly doubt anyone had any of that as a six year old.
The question was about when they were children. Some are speaking about 'their' designer bags and watches.

I know some people are idiotic with Mr Bankers money, but I highly doubt anyone had any of that as a six year old.

In my opinion the word child can be ranging from baby to 17 years old. So..yeah some of them probably did have those things as children.

Now please piss off so other people can actually contribute and talk about their experiences rather than moan about other people and how they spend there money or what well off means.
Original post by uuuuuhhhhhhhhhhh
not being able to go onto school trips
having to 'borrow' money from the school to get lunch
having to borrow money from neighbors to get food with
paying off bailiffs for my moms with my birthday money

being poor sucks

Ah yes I remember a brief time when the bailiffs were knocking on our door, it was a scary time.
Original post by StrangeBanana
Family's never had a car; never been on a plane before; never had friends come round; hand-me-down clothing; duvets instead of real beds; no mobile phone; crummy neighbourhood.

What do you mean by duvets instead of real beds?
Original post by Mojojojo
What do you mean by duvets instead of real beds?

This is a bed:

This is a duvet:
Original post by StrangeBanana
This is a bed:

This is a duvet:

Made me laugh, thank you :tongue:
I've owned horses since I was 9, so that's a big thing. My brother, sister and father all ski - there's another.
I did go to state school, though, and remember being horrified when I was talking to a year 7 (I was in year 9), who told me that her family couldn't afford hot water or heating or electricity.
I was bullied a lot at primary and secondary for being perceived as rich, despite being in an affluent area, because most people with money were sending their children to private schools. When I went to VI form, I found that a lot of these kids had really dysfunctional families, who would allow their children go go without food for partying and stuff, which is a harsh reality.
ETA: Even among fellow horse owners, I know one who has been bankrupted 4 times (legal stuff) and another who has 4 horses and lives on benefits. I know my family is well off because we live our standard of living and we save what we don't use each year (a chunk of which goes into charity), so that the same fate doesn't befall us. I'm very lucky to be in my family.
(edited 9 years ago)
Made me laugh, thank you :tongue:

No problemo. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest