The Student Room Group

HOMEWORK HELP NEEDED FOR GEOGRAPHY... Urgent

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chocolate2014
My initial thought was that the area is Peak District but I looked on many websites ... and on some it said many different things which is what confused me...

The Peak District is mostly in Derbyshire, so the river is in both the Peak District and in Derbyshire. The Peak District covers parts of Cheshire, Manchester, Staffordshire and Yorkshire, so the river is in all these places, as well as Derbyshire, all at the same time.
Original post by jamez870
I said it appears that you haven't

How can u tell I haven't thought about something just from reading my thread...
My initial thought was that the area is Peak District but I looked on many websites ... and on some it said many different things which is what confused me...

that may be because there are at least 4 river Derwents in England
there is only one in Derbyshire
http://www.peakdistrictinformation.com/features/derwent.php
Original post by Pectorac
The Peak District is mostly in Derbyshire, so the river is in both the Peak District and in Derbyshire. The Peak District covers parts of Cheshire, Manchester, Staffordshire and Yorkshire, so the river is in all these places, as well as Derbyshire, all at the same time.

Ok... Not many people know but in the world more that one river has the name River Derwant... There ARE reasons that I got confused but some people just don't understand..
Original post by gdunne42
that may be because there are at least 4 river Derwents in England
there is only one in Derbyshire
http://www.peakdistrictinformation.com/features/derwent.php

No, it is not 4 different rivers. It is 1 river which flows into 4 different places.
No, it is not 4 different rivers. It is 1 river which flows into 4 different places.

I feel like crying... is it 1 river or 4 different ones?
I feel like crying... is it 1 river or 4 different ones?

It is 1 river which flows in 4 different directions to 4 different places. 'The River Derwent is the largest river in the Peak District'. 'Is' means it is a singular river; if it were 4 rivers it would have an S on the end of Derwent and it would say the River Derwents are the the largest rivers in the Peak District.

It is 1 river.
It is 1 river which flows in 4 different directions to 4 different places. 'The River Derwent is the largest river in the Peak District'. 'Is' means it is a singular river; if it were 4 rivers it would have an S on the end of Derwent and it would say the River Derwents are the the largest rivers in the Peak District.

It is 1 river.

It is not one river, they are different rivers in totally different places that share the same name.

Thank u for the help... :smile:
I am just dreading some more questions that I have related to river derwant ... i don't want people to send me more messages saying i don't know how to use google
Original post by gdunne42
It is not one river, they are different rivers in totally different places that share the same name.

Where does it say that? All the links say it is a singular river which flows through different counties.
Where does it say that? All the links say it is a singular river which flows through different counties.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_Derwent_%28disambiguation%29
the links will tell you where each of these rivers starts and where they flow to
One starts at Scafell Pike and flows through the lake district/Cumbria into the Irish sea
One flows along the border between County Durham and Northumberland and is a tributary of the Tyne
One flows from Fylingdales moor in North Yorkshire and joins the Ouse
The Derbyshire one is a tributary of the Trent, its source is a Bleaklow and it is nowhere near the other 3

Maybe you can supply a link that shows it is a singular river that starts in 4 places large distances apart and performs the geographic impossibility of flowing through all of these counties.

It is not unusual for different rivers in the UK to share the same name, there are several river Ouse including one in Yorkshire and another in Sussex. There's a river Tyne in England and another in Scotland.
(edited 9 years ago)
I can tell you this; An agriculturally impacted River, the Derwent is to the north of the Humber Estuary, eastern England. Water quality is generally reasonable with low levels of many minor and trace elements and suspended sediments. Nitrate and particulate aluminium, iron, manganese and lead concentrations increase with increasing flow while soluble reactive phosphate (SRP) concentrations decrease with increasing flow: there is a very poor relationship with flow for all the other determinants. Some of the major elements have elevated concentrations compared to other non-industrial north-eastern UK rivers. For example, nitrate concentrations are elevated due to agricultural runoff at high flows and carbon dioxide partial pressures are higher than less intensively farmed areas. Na, Cl and SO4 concentrations are also relatively high due to higher atmospheric inputs and evapotranspiration, but, usually, they are weakly correlated with each other owing to the effects of pollutant sources. Weathering reactions provide the main source of divalent base cations and alkalinity, but the lack of clear concentration–flow relationships indicates high weathering in both the soil and groundwater areas. The high weathering rates ensures that catchment acidification from atmospheric sources of acidic oxides is not significant at a basin wide scale. Environment Agency water quality information indicates relatively uniform average concentrations of base cations, nutrients and chloride along the length of the Derwent apart from in the upland source areas where tributary influences become more important and there is less potential for dilution due to the lower flows. However, minor increases in concentration may occur due to increased evapotranspiration in the lower sections of the Derwent. The data also indicate that while the nitrate concentrations have remained relatively constant over time, SRP increased during the mid-1980s and has subsequently declined probably due to changes in sewage treatment practices.

Source: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0048969798000497
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Amphiprion
I can tell you this; An agriculturally impacted River, the Derwent is to the north of the Humber Estuary, eastern England.

This is one of the Derwent rivers and at no point does it flow through Derbyshire

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello friends.... Plz will anyone help me finding the work confusing :frown:
For my work I need to find out about River Derwant in Derbyshire. What is the area in which River Derwant is in?
How was the valley formed?

Who has homework in the summer holidays? Your teachers must be very mean!
Original post by Amphiprion
I can tell you this; An agriculturally impacted River, the Derwent is to the north of the Humber Estuary, eastern England. Water quality is generally reasonable with low levels of many minor and trace elements and suspended sediments. Nitrate and particulate aluminium, iron, manganese and lead concentrations increase with increasing flow while soluble reactive phosphate (SRP) concentrations decrease with increasing flow: there is a very poor relationship with flow for all the other determinants. Some of the major elements have elevated concentrations compared to other non-industrial north-eastern UK rivers. For example, nitrate concentrations are elevated due to agricultural runoff at high flows and carbon dioxide partial pressures are higher than less intensively farmed areas. Na, Cl and SO4 concentrations are also relatively high due to higher atmospheric inputs and evapotranspiration, but, usually, they are weakly correlated with each other owing to the effects of pollutant sources.
Weathering reactions provide the main source of divalent base cations and alkalinity, but the lack of clear concentration–flow relationships indicates high weathering in both the soil and groundwater areas. The high weathering rates ensures that catchment acidification from atmospheric sources of acidic oxides is not significant at a basin wide scale. Environment Agency water quality information indicates relatively uniform average concentrations of base cations, nutrients and chloride along the length of the Derwent apart from in the upland source areas where tributary influences become more important and there is less potential for dilution due to the lower flows. However, minor increases in concentration may occur due to increased evapotranspiration in the lower sections of the Derwent. The data also indicate that while the nitrate concentrations have remained relatively constant over time, SRP increased during the mid-1980s and has subsequently declined probably due to changes in sewage treatment practices.

Sorry to say but you haven't answered my question but thanks 4 trying to help...
Prepare to be attacked by OP

Thanks for the heads up.. he's still attacking me.
Original post by The vampire
Thanks for the heads up.. he's still attacking me.

My visitor messages board got ambushed
My visitor messages board got ambushed

Same. You apologized??
Original post by The vampire
Same. You apologized??

Yeah haha, didn't think I did anything wrong or rude but oh well haha, you?
Yeah haha, didn't think I did anything wrong or rude but oh well haha, you?

I just ignored him, I had nothing to apologise for.

Quick Reply

Latest