The Student Room Group

I'm a 2:2 graduate I can't even get minimum wage jobs

Scroll to see replies

The reason you get rejected from places like Mc D's is that they know you will leave as soon as something better comes along. When they say 'over qualified' it isn't because they are bothered about you getting bored or whatever; it is because they will train you up and right from the start you will be looking for other jobs. If you didn't put your degree on your CV you would probably get interviews for them.

OP how can you be a graduate and never had a job? A degree isn't a golden ticket anymore, it is part of the puzzle- employers often want someone with work experience and a good education. Volunteering is the best way to go, and try and get someone to check your applications before you send them off, many good people get sifted out in the initial round because of a poor application.
Original post by fat_hobbit
Degree mark is more relevant tbh,

LOL, wanting the world to be catered around yourself, rather than society as a whole is a very negative approach. That is what led to Jalebi demise not willing to adapt and being able to read situations. He wasn't neither are you willing to conform to get what is necessary to progress on. Its like being stuck in purgatory.
So if I get 3 ALs, A grade in media studies, RE, and psychology. And I apply to become a programmer.

What's relevance does that have.

I worked after graduation, helping establish a start up from scratch on a project that has been nominated for several awards. Which is now being copied by competitors, starting an industry trend in that sector.

I think that is more impressive than a bunch of meaningless UCAS points.

Some corporates also only accept AL at first attempt.

Original post by Tom_Ford
Everything is relevant. You have to have everything and employers have every right to demand this. It is your own fault you're too inactive to retake your A-Levels. You've had years since graduation to do so.
(edited 9 years ago)
So if I get 3 ALs, A grade in media studies, RE, and psychology. And I apply to become a programmer.

I worked after graduation, helping establish a start up from scratch on a project that has been nominated for several awards. Which is now being copied by competitors, starting an industry trend in that sector.

I think that is more impressive than a bunch of meaningless UCAS point.

Your competitors have both the grades and experiences as good as yours. Your arrogance and inactivity is what is holding you back, not them. The world is not going to move for you. Your entitlement complex is amusing.
Arrogance , inactivity?

I'm doing 2 jobs ATM mate, my own side venture and day job. You know this.

Your competitors have both the grades and experiences as good as yours. Your arrogance and inactivity is what is holding you back, not them. The world is not going to move for you. Your entitlement complex is amusing.
Arrogance , inactivity?

I'm doing 2 jobs ATM mate, my own side venture and day job. You know this.

You have told me numerous times of your intention to work in a corporate. Your inactivity of doing what it takes to get into such a programme is what is holding you back, because of your arrogance in thinking you do not need to resit your A-Levels. You think you can play by different rules to everyone else? You base your experiences as your justification. You go on and on about your venture and your job... it does not make you special at all because others have the same if not more. And besides, are you going to tell the corporate interviewer that who you really work for is your uncle? I can guarantee you that the guy competing with you will most likely have had a job from which he was hired through a non-family member (i.e. not nepotsim) and thus would look better from you in terms of experience anyway before grades are even considered.
blah neopotism.

I helped him establish his tech start up from scratch, it is not like I went into an already established company that was making a turn over of 100 million pounds. All he had was the idea. I helped him realise it through my programming skills. A lot of work goes into that, until you do it, you will understand.

Not ideal, sure, but jobs are hard these days, and I would be a fool to be picky when graduates generally are finding it hard to get employment I did what I had to do , to survive.

Yes, I wanted to work for IBM and so on but like you it was hard to break in, and it is not because I was thick, but because it is generally hard to get onto grad schemes. You have perfect grades and are a perfect example to demonstrate this point. I could go back, redo my ALs get AAA, but what if I ended up like you, not being able to break onto any grad scheme?

Anyway as this thread is becoming personal, rather than pragmatic, I will leave it. Wasting my time.

You have told me numerous times of your intention to work in a corporate. Your inactivity of doing what it takes to get into such a programme is what is holding you back, because of your arrogance in thinking you do not need to resit your A-Levels. You think you can play by different rules to everyone else? You base your experiences as your justification. You go on and on about your venture and your job... it does not make you special at all because others have the same if not more. And besides, are you going to tell the corporate interviewer that who you really work for is your uncle? I can guarantee you that the guy competing with you will most likely have had a job from which he was hired through a non-family member (i.e. not nepotsim) and thus would look better from you in terms of experience anyway before grades are even considered.
(edited 9 years ago)

I think that is more impressive than a bunch of meaningless UCAS points.

Some corporates also only accept AL at first attempt.

With that experience, why are you applying to graduate schemes at corporates - surely you'd be looking at being an experienced hire?

And, like others have mentioned, I think it's actually you that's putting these corporates on the pedestal. In my experience, other than the fact that the company logo is probably a lot better known amongst people on the street, working for a large corporate isn't significantly different, neither better or worse, than working for a smaller (but still decent sized) firm.
Original post by Smack
With that experience, why are you applying to graduate schemes at corporates - surely you'd be looking at being an experienced hire?

And, like others have mentioned, I think it's actually you that's putting these corporates on the pedestal. In my experience, other than the fact that the company logo is probably a lot better known amongst people on the street, working for a large corporate isn't significantly different, neither better or worse, than working for a smaller (but still decent sized) firm.

I'm not anymore Smack. Actually I get so many recruiters now contact me on linked in, I don't even follow up on any of them because I have too much work on. I'm pretty sure after 4 years of experience and strong knowledge of the software life cycle. I can move around companies irrespective on if they are not corporate. As I bring start up experience outside of general coding skills to them.

I am just having a general debate about their selection process. But honestly, it feels like it is a waste of time, given the personal nature of the attacks.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Shefflibs
The reason you get rejected from places like Mc D's is that they know you will leave as soon as something better comes along. When they say 'over qualified' it isn't because they are bothered about you getting bored or whatever; it is because they will train you up and right from the start you will be looking for other jobs. If you didn't put your degree on your CV you would probably get interviews for them.

OP how can you be a graduate and never had a job? A degree isn't a golden ticket anymore, it is part of the puzzle- employers often want someone with work experience and a good education. Volunteering is the best way to go, and try and get someone to check your applications before you send them off, many good people get sifted out in the initial round because of a poor application.

I've never really had a job either and I'm 24. I had a job at 17 but it was for the summer.

If I left my degree off my CV there would be a 3 year gap. Employers will assume I've either sat on my arse collecting the dole, or been in prison. That just makes me look worse.
blah neopotism.

I helped him establish his tech start up from scratch, it is not like I went into an already established company that was making a turn over of 100 million pounds. All he had was the idea. I helped him realise it through my programming skills.

Not ideal, sure, but jobs are hard these days, and I would be a fool to be picky when graduates generally are finding it hard to get employment I did what I had to do , to survive.

Yes, I wanted to work for IBM and so on but like you it was hard to break in, and it is not because I was thick, but because it is generally hard to get onto grad schemes. You have perfect grades and are a perfect example to demonstrate this point.

There are people with better. Why is it so hard for you to accept that and try to improve your grades? If you really improved so much in your degree academically, then A-Levels should be a walk in the park for you now. But you do nothing, so the fault lies with you. Your attitude is very much, "I think their policies are wrong but I still want to work for them, yet i don't want to correct something that is relatively easy to correct because I don't like their views... But i still want to work for them". Can you see how arrogant your view seems? You should be the one doing your utmost to work for them, they are not the ones that need to change for you.

Oh, and are you going to tell your employer about the money invested by your Uncle (not yours) into this business? You were handed investment on a plate, and a job, not out of your own work but by the money of someone else, a family member. Other graduates do not have such a luxury but they still have equal if not better experiences.
Original post by Smack

Do you think its nice not to have a private pension, sick pay, season ticket advance, company shares and profit sharing, life cover, health cover, gym membership, cycle to work scheme.... List is endless, why deny someone that privellege. Company credit card, loans for further studies with no interest.....industry qualifications for free. Working for uncle you only get access to wonga.com.
blah neopotism.

I helped him establish his tech start up from scratch, it is not like I went into an already established company that was making a turn over of 100 million pounds. All he had was the idea. I helped him realise it through my programming skills. A lot of work goes into that, until you do it, you will understand.

Yes, I wanted to work for IBM and so on but like you it was hard to break in, and it is not because I was thick, but because it is generally hard to get onto grad schemes. You have perfect grades and are a perfect example to demonstrate this point. I could go back, redo my ALs get AAA, but what if I ended up like you, not being able to break onto any grad scheme?

Anyway as this thread is becoming personal, rather than pragmatic, I will leave it. Wasting my time.

Everything is a risk, you have to be willing to take the risks. But, the AAA is for many firms a bare minimal academic requirement. You have no chance if you do not have the bare minimum.
Original post by SloaneRanger
Do you think its nice not to have a private pension, sick pay, season ticket advance, company shares and profit sharing, life cover, health cover, gym membership, cycle to work scheme.... List is endless, why deny someone that privellege. Company credit card, loans for further studies with no interest.....industry qualifications for free. Working for uncle you only get access to wonga.com.

Who says you can't get that working for smaller companies?
Original post by Smack
Who says you can't get that working for smaller companies?

You dont get that with a start up, ive worked for two and walked out went awol decided to go to the pub it felt like a joke. Start ups dont get nice branded company CC, i love my BA one. Even wonga wouldnt trust them with money.
Original post by SloaneRanger
You dont get that with a start up, ive worked for two and walked out went awol decided to go to the pub it felt like a joke. Start ups dont get nice branded company CC, i love my BA one.

Startup company /=/ small company. Some small companies seem to be very nice to work for, could have been around for years and years and have a nice strong brand. A startup company is something different, it is much more bare bones.
There are people with better. Why is it so hard for you to accept that and try to improve your grades? If you really improved so much in your degree academically, then A-Levels should be a walk in the park for you now. But you do nothing, so the fault lies with you. Your attitude is very much, "I think their policies are wrong but I still want to work for them, yet i don't want to correct something that is relatively easy to correct because I don't like their views... But i still want to work for them". Can you see how arrogant your view seems? You should be the one doing your utmost to work for them, they are not the ones that need to change for you.

I am not going to go into this again. Everything I write is going in death ears.

I have no reason too. I have a lot of professional experience now. Whilst you are worrying about getting onto a grad scheme, I am worrying about whether we are going to win that award we have been nominated for.

Oh, and are you going to tell your employer about the money invested by your Uncle (not yours) into this business? You were handed investment on a plate, and a job, not out of your own work but by the money of someone else, a family member. Other graduates do not have such a luxury but they still have equal if not better experiences.

Again, getting personal.

He is the founder you dim wit, of course he will invest money into the venture.

It is a simple arrangement, he is the founder, I am the worker.

The point is, I had to do the work for his project to get as far as it did. The guy can't code. And he is a business man, if he is doing a high risk business venture why would he keep me around if I couldn't do the work and was a liability. You can't **** around in start up projects, otherwise you go out of business.

Yes I was fortunate that the opportunity came, but you know what, that is life and is not reflective to the quality of my work. The fact that I am able to help take the project as far as it did, that is testament to my ability.

Can you also stop discussing my personal life so publicly on a public forum. You and ****ing sloane. You have both gone completely off tangent in an attempt to make me not seem credible.
(edited 9 years ago)
Everything is a risk, you have to be willing to take the risks. But, the AAA is for many firms a bare minimal academic requirement. You have no chance if you do not have the bare minimum.

I get rejected all the time like i said 100 apps 1 job!
Startup company /=/ small company. Some small companies seem to be very nice to work for, could have been around for years and years and have a nice strong brand. A startup company is something different, it is much more bare bones.

Yeah, but rarely will they give u six months half 6 months full pay for sickness. Give you all those other perks i listed, through in a loans scheme for a car. If i worked for a small company i would shake down the director.
I am not going to go into this again. Everything I write is going in death ears.

I have no reason too. I have a lot of professional experience now.

Again, getting personal.

He is the founder you dim wit, of course he will invest money into the venture.

It is a simple arrangement, he is the founder, I am the worker.

The point is, I had to do the work for his project to get as far as it did. The guy can't code. And he is a business man, if he is doing a high risk business venture why would he keep me around if I couldn't do the work and was a liability. You can't **** around in start up projects, otherwise you go out of business.

Yes I was fortunate that the opportunity came, but you know what, that is life and is not reflective to the quality of my work. The fact that I am able to help take the project as far as it did, that is testament to my ability.

Can you also stop discussing my personal life so publicly on a public forum. You and ****ing sloane. You have both gone completely off tangent in an attempt to make me not seem credible.

Your telling people that are AAA is not worth getting, its just a ticket so you can apply to the next stage that is all. Imagine some kid reading this thinking he will become a millionaire, by flunking his alevels to work for the family shop.

Quick Reply

Latest