The Student Room Group

Manager was forceful - need advice

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Le Nombre
Depends how much the company values him. I recently saw an unfair case where the back story included a board member of the subsidiary of a major public company punching another former member of staff in the face. He got the criminal record, but is, apparently, an absolute rainmaker, so stayed on with a bit of anger management training.

This is one of the things the concerns me. I'd hate it if they just take it lightly.

*but having a criminal record itself is already a good punishment regarding the case you mentioned.
Original post by Anonymous
This is one of the things the concerns me. I'd hate it if they just take it lightly.

*but having a criminal record itself is already a good punishment regarding the case you mentioned.

They also made a significant payout. Ultimately it's not your problem how the company chooses to arrange its affairs, if it does jeep him on it's not the sort of place you want to work so take the money and get out of there.
Reply 22
I had an argument with my manager the other day. The manager was shouting at me and I couldn't stand it so I calmly said that I needed to go to my place and left. But before I left, the manager grabbed me forcefully and forced me to stay in the office. I sad to let go and the manager only let go when people saw what has happened. I went back to my place feeling upset.

Have reported it to the upper management but still feel lost. Please help : (

press charges.
it was common assault. you have witnesses.
I had an argument with my manager the other day. The manager was shouting at me and I couldn't stand it so I calmly said that I needed to go to my place and left. But before I left, the manager grabbed me forcefully and forced me to stay in the office. I sad to let go and the manager only let go when people saw what has happened. I went back to my place feeling upset.

Have reported it to the upper management but still feel lost. Please help : (

So far you've done the right thing, but if he/she hadn't came and apologized to you personally within say 24hrs I would have called the police and have them charged with common assault.
No one ever has the right to arrest you this manner (except a police officer and even then only under certain circumstances). The sod appears arrogant and a bully and needs sorted out. Make their life hell and be careful what you say in their presence- don't talk about the incident and if they want to talk private with you ask for a work colleague you pick to be there with you- if they decline then report this also to they're HR.
Make it clear to senior management you are taking this further- they will soon sort out the manager - they are replaceable- managers are ten a penny. The company business wouldn't want any hassle- especially police attending. A business exists to make money not a power trip for any particular line manager- that's a fact.
Please let us know how it pans out.
Original post by Mick.w
press charges.
it was common assault. you have witnesses.

Original post by tomctutor

Make it clear to senior management you are taking this further- they will soon sort out the manager - they are replaceable- managers are ten a penny. The company business wouldn't want any hassle- especially police attending. A business exists to make money not a power trip for any particular line manager- that's a fact.
Please let us know how it pans out.

Thank you for the replies.

It did cross my mind to go to the police. But I'm worried that I may come across as threatening the company or something? I'm not entirely sure why but I'd feel like survivor's guilt somehow :frown:
Reply 25

It did cross my mind to go to the police. But I'm worried that I may come across as threatening the company or something? I'm not entirely sure why but I'd feel like survivor's guilt somehow :frown:

No, you're not threatening anyone. You're legally dealing with an unlawful citizen. Not a manager of company X.
Reply 26
I pray for something like this to happen to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The company couldn't give a toss about the criminal proceedings, it's not their job to defend the manager. If he was found guilty odds are they'd use it as evidence to fire him for gross misconduct, though like I said if he's exceptionally profitable they may orchestrate a fudge.
The most important thing is to make sure you get it on paper, you need to write abd email your account to someone (preferably HR, but literally anyone in the company ASAP - once it's down there's proof, the email will be dated so even if you have to forward it to other people later it's logged that you reported it.)
The company couldn't give a toss about the criminal proceedings, it's not their job to defend the manager. If he was found guilty odds are they'd use it as evidence to fire him for gross misconduct, though like I said if he's exceptionally profitable they may orchestrate a fudge.

Thanks.

Would the situation that I posted be considered as a gross misconduct?

Original post by joker12345
The most important thing is to make sure you get it on paper, you need to write abd email your account to someone (preferably HR, but literally anyone in the company ASAP - once it's down there's proof, the email will be dated so even if you have to forward it to other people later it's logged that you reported it.)

Well, I have initiated a verbal complaint to the appropriate channel.
I'd believe that there's a difference between touching and grabbing someone?

Since when are we, as an individual, allowed to grab someone? Did I miss something here?

Yeah, grabbing. It's not that bad. It's not like he punched you? It's not like he bitch slapped you? Why are you making such a fuss.

If you ever become a boss you're going to get your backside sued to high heaven.

I hope you retain me and I get the pleasure of telling you I'll defend it but it's 99% you'll end up paying out.

Nah, I don't think I would.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Dilzo999
Yeah, grabbing. It's not that bad. It's not like he punched you? It's not like he bitch slapped you? Why are you making such a fuss.

So, if you did something, then it's OK for a boss to grab you? So, each time you did something, you allow yourself to be physically grabbed by your boss?
Thanks.

A verbal complaint means little - details can be misconstrued, there's no actual proof of anything. If you're actually bothered you need it on paper
Thanks.

Yes.

FFS get it written.

Original post by Dilzo999

Nah, I don't think I would.

If you behaved even vaguely like the above you would be. Whether you think you would be is frankly irrelevant, I know you would be.
What an absolute bunch of opportunistic, money-grabbing vultures. Your boss was telling you off for making a mistake, you shouted back, walked off and he grabbed you to stop you? And you people want to press for assault and severe mental distress? Bah, an absolute disgrace.
Original post by BenAssirati
What an absolute bunch of opportunistic, money-grabbing vultures. Your boss was telling you off for making a mistake, you shouted back, walked off and he grabbed you to stop you? And you people want to press for assault and severe mental distress? Bah, an absolute disgrace.

Assault won't win him any money, he is not even a party to the case.

He could quit and claim constructive, unfair dimissal, but (depending how long ago this was, he may have waived it), that's cut and dry already, no need to go down the Police route for that.

Employment claims make jack these days, most are capped at a year's salary or 72.5k (whichever is lower)and that's if your boss bulldozes your house, shags your wife and then rams a P45 up your **** following 25 years' flawless service.

Grabbing someone and refusing to let them leave when they are distressed is assault.
Original post by TolerantBeing
Grabbing someone and refusing to let them leave when they are distressed is assault.

We do not know how stressed OP was without a bias, for all we know this whole incident could be false, and the 'distressed' claim is a very lightweight thing to do, as a multitude of reasons could be behind it. Also, legally, it is not enough for the guy to grab OP and hold them still. To me it sounds like he was telling OP off for doing something wrong, OP got stroppy and tried to walk off (an extremely unprofessional thing to do, regardless of 'distress', most people learned long ago to just suck it up), so the manager decided he wasn't finished and refused to let OP just stroll off. It does not sound like there was any insidious or threatening intent, so it was not assault.
We do not know how stressed OP was without a bias, for all we know this whole incident could be false, and the 'distressed' claim is a very lightweight thing to do, as a multitude of reasons could be behind it. Also, legally, it is not enough for the guy to grab OP and hold them still. To me it sounds like he was telling OP off for doing something wrong, OP got stroppy and tried to walk off (an extremely unprofessional thing to do, regardless of 'distress', most people learned long ago to just suck it up), so the manager decided he wasn't finished and refused to let OP just stroll off. It does not sound like there was any insidious or threatening intent, so it was not assault.

There can be no bias in the experience of distress considering it's a completely subjective state. If an individual claims to have experienced distress/stress at an event you have to take their word for it. Unless you had the equipment at hand to measure her physiological state at the appropriate time...

In fact, it's you who is appearing rather biased, considering the OP stated explicitly that he was wrongly shouting at her because she was not in the wrong, yet you just said- it sounds like he was telling OP off for doing something wrong, OP got stroppy and tried to walk off. Not only have you completely disregard what the OP has told us, but your use of persuasive (and grammatically incorrect) language, such as 'got stroppy' suggests you are for some reason disagreeing with the OP because of your own bias.

I also thinking you need to look up on assault in the workplace.
So, you ****ed up and got yelled at, tried to walk off and he grabbed you to continue bitching at you.

Fair enough he shouldn't have done that, but gunning for the guy to lose his job and get a criminal record? Get a ****ing grip. If you behave like that in the professional world and try to take on every fight like a rabid dog you won't make friends nor will you remain at the company for very long. There is a significant difference between justification for an apology and action and trying to ruin a guys life for a mistake. A peice of advice, if you see a big angry dog in your path and you can walk around it, do so. Pick fights you can win, not fights for the sake of it.

Hell, if I was your manager and having a go at you and you just tried to excuse yourself and walk off I'd be giving you disciplinary action (granted, I don't have a temper issue so wouldn't have grabbed you). Just go make friends with your manager and get on with your life.

EDIT: I just saw that the original problem you were not in the wrong, either way you should not just excuse yourself when disccusing something with a higher up. He shouldn't have grabbed you, you shouldn't have tried to walk off. He is more in the wrong (grabbing you is definitly worse) but it is in no way reasonable to then gun for his job and a criminal record for "assault" because he grabbed you. Not that the police would ever actually prosecute somebody for grabbing your arm in a workplace unless it left a huge bruise.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending