The Student Room Group

How do your parents feel about you dating outside of your race?

If it applies to you of course. My dad doesn't give a crap about it but my mum wants me to find a girlfriend of the same race as me yet I prefer to date outside of my race. I watched a documentary of mixed raced couples being a ******* in some cultures.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm Irish. we hate dating within our race.

how many Irish people have you met?
now compare that to how many people have Irish in their heritage.

sometimes it seems like almost everyone in the world has at least one Irish ancestor creeping in there down the line.
Original post by UWS
If it applies to you of course. My dad doesn't give a crap about it but my mum wants me to find a girlfriend of the same race as me yet I prefer to date outside of my race. I watched a documentary of mixed raced couples being a problem in some cultures.

My parents don't give a crap which race I date
I can't say that my parents care what race my boyfiend is....More whether they treat me well....
Reply 4
My family wouldn't mind if I dated someone of a different race.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My parents generally don't give a damn what I do as long as it is something they want me to do. As for race, they never liked it that I had a White gf/wife but never really said anything to my face about it though a few snide remarks here and there wasn't something unusual.

I don't allow my kids to date certain races or of certain religions. They know what will happen if they did and it certainly isn't something they want to lose.
I'm white as they come, girlfriend is Nigerian. They don't care.
Reply 7
Original post by Alfissti
My parents generally don't give a damn what I do as long as it is something they want me to do. As for race, they never liked it that I had a White gf/wife but never really said anything to my face about it though a few snide remarks here and there wasn't something unusual.

I don't allow my kids to date certain races or of certain religions. They know what will happen if they did and it certainly isn't something they want to lose.

Which races and religions in paticular?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I presume they would have no problem, it's me that would have the issues heh.
My parents don't care about the race really, honestly they care way more about other things about said individual than his race. There are certain religions that I know they would prefer me not to marry into and certain races and religions that they would prefer me to marry but I'm on the same page with that. They just let me get on with it really which is nice
My family don't even like my dating someone of a different class... I can't imagine they'd like me dating a different race. Sigh.
A better question would have been:

Would you allow your parents likes and dislikes to influence your decision, if you wanted to marry somebody from a different religion(or of no religion)/social class?
Original post by MrEFeynman
A better question would have been:

Would you allow your parents likes and dislikes to influence your decision, if you wanted to marry somebody from a different religion(or of no religion)/social class?

Yeah bit long though

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm mixed so my parents don't care.
I don't date black guys though and I'm part black. Just preference.
They'd kick me out the house and never speak to me again :frown:. Nah, just joking. My parents don't mind, which is surprising given how conservative they are on other things.
Reply 15
They wouldn't mind me going out with guys from other races....
But if I tried to have a family with a guy from another race then they would be concered lol
They couldn't give a ****, so long as she's middle class.

(They're actually good, Guardian reading lefties, just be a struggle meeting them if you didn't know your quinoa from your cous cous).
My dad is a bit funny about me dating certain races but not others. I think if push came to shove he wouldn't mind.
They would prefer me dating someone of the same race but that isn't happening since I only like white girls. They wouldn't mind if I did date outside of my race though but white girls aren't into Oriental guys. :frown:
They don't mind

I don't want non south Asians in my family.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending