The Student Room Group

How do your parents feel about you dating outside of your race?

Scroll to see replies

They hated it and got very violent.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm mixed race, my grandpa is Indian. However, I'm allowed to date anyone I want as long as they aren't Muslim.

I was offered a semi arranged marriage when I was 18 too! I quickly said no!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kelytha
I'm mixed race, my grandpa is Indian. However, I'm allowed to date anyone I want as long as they aren't Muslim.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is common sense.
Regarding marriage, they couldn't care less. I'd like to think they aren't racists. If they were, I don't think I would get on with them.
Original post by Maktarpresle
This is common sense.

No not really, I don't judge based on someone's religion. If I fell in love with someone, and they were Muslim my family would have to deal with it.

While he wouldn't be happy, my grandpa would have to accept it.

The only thing I would have a problem with is if I was asked to cover myself up, or not have an equal stake in things.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mr Smurf
They would prefer me dating someone of the same race but that isn't happening since I only like white girls. They wouldn't mind if I did date outside of my race though but white girls aren't into Oriental guys. :frown:

and you are the only one that brags about it all day everyday.
Reply 26
My parents don't mind as long as He isn't a Muslim or Arab...
Mother would probably allow me to! but doesn't want it. Dad is like "mixed race => hybrid vigour" lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
They're OK with it. Do what makes you happy and all that.

My mum wants me to date a black girl but thinks I'll date a white one
Reply 29
My mom prefers I date another race... :unsure:
Not sure, but I think they may take a little bit of time to get used to. Then again, they've told me they'd rather I didn't go after emo/scene girls.
They don't care. My boyfriends race has never been an issue.
I've got no problems dating outside my race (Caucasian), however I tend to think that girls of my race are the most attractive in general. My parents are slightly racist, but nothing severe, so I think as long as the girl was worth it, they wouldn't have a problem, though I would expect some backhanded remarks... Not that I care what they think anyway.

There are some races that I find very little attraction to, this might be simply the way the women are built, their attitude, personality or religion, since I am atheist, I'd find it very difficult to be attracted to a devout theist, as I find our minds are simply incompatible, nor can I be truly attracted to somebody extremely stupid, as I would get annoyed very quickly.
Original post by Kelytha
I'm mixed race, my grandpa is Indian. However, I'm allowed to date anyone I want as long as they arent muslims.

Posted from TSR Mobile

funny that, most indian parents i know would rather have their kids date a muslim, or even a pak, then to date a black guy.

unless of course that black guy was a doctor
Original post by foodirl
My parents don't mind as long as He isn't a Muslim or Arab...

are you white?
Original post by Wilsoncw1997
and you are the only one that brags about it all day everyday.

I think you misunderstand the word "brag". I have nothing to brag about.
Reply 36
Original post by rickfloss
are you white?

Yes, I am.
Original post by rickfloss
funny that, most indian parents i know would rather have their kids date a muslim, or even a pak, then to date a black guy.

unless of course that black guy was a doctor

Nope, but grandpa has his reasons. He used to live in Lahore, which is now on the Pakistani side, and had to evacuate during partition. I know that some of my family were murdered by Muslims on the lead up to partition, but grandpa won't talk about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think they'd really mind, although they may quietly disapprove.
My parents have never said to me that I can't date outside of our race, although I know my dad would like it if I were to date a black guy. My mum has told me that she doesn't mind, and in fact she knows I'll probably end up with a white guy (I usually do) haha.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending