The Student Room Group

Clearing 2014

I was just wondering how people are preparing for clearing if they don't get into their firm or insurance?

so far I have a list of universities I want to ring for clearing places
Reply 1
Do we need a clearing number or something? How do we get this or will we only get it once we go Into clearing?
Original post by lizziec1996
Do we need a clearing number or something? How do we get this or will we only get it once we go Into clearing?

Your clearing number appears automatically on Track when you fail to get into either your firm or insurance place. There is a very large article on clearing on the My TSR page (it scrolls round at the top, so use the arrows to find it) and if you read it, it will answer all your questions.
Reply 3
You get a clearing number automatically when you enter clearing.
Reply 4
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Your clearing number appears automatically on Track when you fail to get into either your firm or insurance place. There is a very large article on clearing on the My TSR page (it scrolls round at the top, so use the arrows to find it) and if you read it, it will answer all your questions.

Reply 5
I was just wondering how people are preparing for clearing if they don't get into their firm or insurance?

so far I have a list of universities I want to ring for clearing places

I would select a couple of courses you're interested in and note down their course codes for when you ring the unis on the day. It's also worth taking a look at TSR's clearing contacts directory which provides the phone numbers you need to ring. Beyond that I would just familiarise yourself with how clearing works :smile:
What happens if I don't get the grades for firm or insurance or the choices I picked for clearing? I know this is unlikely but would that be it and there would be no point calling up?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pj secker
What happens if I don't get the grades for firm or insurance or the choices I picked for clearing? I know this is unlikely but would that be it and there would be no point calling up?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you got ABB or above, it's worth ringing up Clearing universities as there are no limits on how many they can take in that case, but absolutely no point at all in calling your firm and insurance if they have updated Track to unsuccessful. They have your results the weekend before you get them and have had plenty of time to decide if they want you, and they have decided against it. It's also a myth that grades drop considerably in clearing. There are usually plenty of AAB offer holders out there who got ABB, so there's no point in clearing courses accepting BBB or BBC people when they can do better.
I questioned the admissions tutor of my course at the university and he said it would be worth calling if I got lower than abb? :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys!

Sorry to jump in to your thread, but another thing which could be helpful for you is to sign up for the clearing vacancy email system we've set up.

You'll get a number of emails sent direct you via us from universities with vacancies (some might start next week). It might be able to give you a heads up on who will have spaces in clearing and for what courses or help you out by suggesting some alternative ideas you might not have thought of!

You can select which subject areas you want to get emails from too.

You can sign up here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=4497-expecting-to-be-in-clearing-or-adjustment-in-2014

Would be awesome to share this around too so more people can get the information/help :biggrin:
Original post by RK
Hey guys!

Sorry to jump in to your thread, but another thing which could be helpful for you is to sign up for the clearing vacancy email system we've set up.

You'll get a number of emails sent direct you via us from universities with vacancies (some might start next week). It might be able to give you a heads up on who will have spaces in clearing and for what courses or help you out by suggesting some alternative ideas you might not have thought of!

You can select which subject areas you want to get emails from too.

You can sign up here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=4497-expecting-to-be-in-clearing-or-adjustment-in-2014

Would be awesome to share this around too so more people can get the information/help :biggrin:

Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys if u have any tips for preparing for clearing it would be appreciated!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by ItsJustMe17
Hi guys if u have any tips for preparing for clearing it would be appreciated!

Posted from TSR Mobile

So far I have a list of unis I would try for places
I've also written courses I could do other than my chosen degree

I've also written in simple steps how clearing works :smile: so I know what to do on the day
So far I have a list of unis I would try for places
I've also written courses I could do other than my chosen degree

I've also written in simple steps how clearing works :smile: so I know what to do on the day

Thanks! I've been thinking about that :smile: I have an ideas what courses I would do other than my chosen one but do you mind listing the steps for me? :redface: for clearing that is lol thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry to jump in on the thread, but I was wondering about the specifics of the TSR email service for clearing, as it seems here that unis will basically pay for the service of sending emails via TSR and thus will these clearing emails be limited to the select number of unis that have paid for this?
Original post by ItsJustMe17
Thanks! I've been thinking about that :smile: I have an ideas what courses I would do other than my chosen one but do you mind listing the steps for me? :redface: for clearing that is lol thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

The TSR guide to clearing here, sets out the steps pretty well, although obviously there's a limited amount you can actually do before results day. I'd note down the course codes of the other courses you're considering and take a look at what the courses entail so you can speak a bit about them if asked :smile:. Also take a look at TSR's clearing contacts directory which outlines the numbers you'll need to call on the day
Reply 16
im really confused... do we ring a clearing number which puts us through to indivdual universities or do we ring the universitties directly for clearing places?
im really confused... do we ring a clearing number which puts us through to indivdual universities or do we ring the universitties directly for clearing places?

You ring up the individual universities for places.

A clearing number is a number UCAS gives you that you then pass on to the universities along with your personal ID number when you contact them so that they are able to view your application online.

If you are in clearing then it will be located on the welcome and choices pages in Track. It will appear automatically on Track when you fail to get into either your firm or insurance place.

For loads of useful information about clearing check out our articles - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=4574-clearing-adjustment
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Zottula
You ring up the individual universities for places.

A clearing number is a number UCAS gives you that you then pass on to the universities along with your personal ID number when you contact them so that they are able to view your application online.

If you are in clearing then it will be located on the welcome and choices pages in Track. It will appear automatically on Track when you fail to get into either your firm or insurance place.

For loads of useful information about clearing check out our articles - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=4574-clearing-adjustment

Thanks a lot :smile:
So you just ring the universities normal number? Then ask about clearing?
Thanks a lot :smile:
So you just ring the universities normal number? Then ask about clearing?

They will usually have a particular number you need to call, but on results day they should make this quite clear and easy to find on their websites.

We've also got a Clearing contact directory with the numbers to call for each university - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Clearing_Contacts_Directory
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest