The Student Room Group

Freshers' Week- Should I buy tickets now, or wait until I get there?

I'm going to uni in September and was hoping someone could help me out with this.

I'm going to be staying in halls and I was just wondering if I should go ahead and buy tickets for freshers' week now, or if I should wait until I get there and see what my flatmates are doing first?

I was thinking about getting one of the freshers' wristbands/passes but I don't want to get one only to find out my flatmates aren't planning on going to any of these events.

On the other hand, I also don't want to get there and find I'm the only one who doesn't have tickets to stuff and the best events are now sold out.
Have you found your flatmates - there are often freshers pages on Facebook where people can find people?
Wait until you get there as you'll decide what to do with your flatmates when you're there and it gives you more options of what to do
Original post by joker12345
Have you found your flatmates - there are often freshers pages on Facebook where people can find people?

I haven't actually been allocated a flat yet since I only applied yesterday but I should hear back in the next week.
If you want to go to things then buy tickets. It sounds scary but there's no harm to going to something on your one - that's how you meet new people.
Reply 5
Original post by VladThe1mpaler
I'm going to uni in September and was hoping someone could help me out with this.

I'm going to be staying in halls and I was just wondering if I should go ahead and buy tickets for freshers' week now, or if I should wait until I get there and see what my flatmates are doing first?

I was thinking about getting one of the freshers' wristbands/passes but I don't want to get one only to find out my flatmates aren't planning on going to any of these events.

On the other hand, I also don't want to get there and find I'm the only one who doesn't have tickets to stuff and the best events are now sold out.

Wait until you get there I say, It's the best way so then you know what events your flatmates will be attending and you can buy tickets accordingly. They like to post all over the Facebook pages in an urgent manner that all the tickets are selling out fast in order to scared you into buying the tickets because you don't want to be the only one left out without a ticket when it supposedly looks like everybody else is buying them. Also make sure that you buy the tickets from the right people. Many different clubs/people in your area will try and sell you tickets but usually there is only one group of people whom people buy their tickets from and all the other people try and claim your money by stating that their tickets are for the 'official' freshers events when they're not. I fell for that mistake once.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by SmallTownGirl
If you want to go to things then buy tickets. It sounds scary but there's no harm to going to something on your one - that's how you meet new people.

There's no events that I particularly want to go to. I just don't want to waste my money or be the only one without tickets to certain popular events.
Reply 7
I'd ask in the forum for the Uni in question. When I started at Durham, I signed up for everything, but not every event was worth it. Current students will probably know what is genrally worthwhile, and if you can find who your flatmates will be, plan to go (or not) as a group.

Quick Reply

Latest