The Student Room Group

If somebody gets a degree in Mathematics would you class them as a Mathematician

Scroll to see replies

Original post by L'Etudiant
You know how in games you rank from level 1 to a 100? I'd say that you'd only be 'qualified' to be called a Mathematician if you are near level 55. That is being in the middle of a challenging undergraduate degree and doing well.

True Mathematicians however are those who dedicate their lives to it - Researchers and Lecturers for example.

Original post by xjay1234
OH so to be a Mathematician you have to RESEARCH Maths?

RIGHT!

Yes, absolutely.

Hawkins the disabled guy that says God doesn't exist OH HIM! YEAH!

He is into real complex Science-Mathematical 5hit!

He's a scientist, not a mathematician.

So Mathematical Science TEachers in schools with a PHD are not Mathematicians they are just a poor man's or poor woman's Mathematics person?

Unless they've continued to be involved in research-level maths, yes. Being away from that for any significant period will leave you so far behind the research front you will essentially have to do several years worth of work to catch back up.

Okay so what makes you and EXPERT at Mathematics?

What could Hawkins for example tell me about Fractions and Percentages that would put him in a league above a Mathematics teacher? ^_^

Nothing. But a mathematician could tell you an awful lot about actual maths (that isn't maths: that's arithmetic) that your maths teacher couldn't. Not that that's particularly hard, since your maths teacher's knowledge of actual maths is likely to be functionally zero.

So cos a person with a Maths degree that teaches to a certain level (like GCSE LEVEL or A LEVEL) they are not a Mathematicians.

Stephen Hawkins is not a Mathematicians he is a prat I don't like him I have no respect for him.

Well Herman Cain he is a Mathematician NO DOUBT he is a Mathematical GENIUS.

No he isn't. He has published zero mathematics papers, and in fact I can't find anything that suggests that he has any knowledge of mathematics at all.

OK SO IF YOU HAVE A PHD IN MATHEMATICS DOES THAT MAKE YOU A MATHEMATICIAN?

http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/postgraduate/courses/research/maths/pure-mathematics-phd.aspx

Like here at Birmingham University.

Okay so having a Degree of a PHD in Maths means NOTHING you are NOTHING you have NOTHING infact cos of that you can only be a Mathematician if you research something NEW and SPECTACULAR.

Mathematicians is somebody that is a GENIUS at Maths so why can't a person who got a 1st in Mathematics Degree level be seen as a MATHEMATICAL GENIUS?

So the PHD helps??????

No. A mathematician is a person who is actively involved in mathematics research. Getting a PhD in maths then going on to not do mathematics research beyond that makes you an ex-mathematician. Whilst doing the PhD, the person is a mathematician.
Reply 41
Herman Cain is a Mathematical genius that is fact. Just because he has not publish anything means nada.

He is brilliant in the Mathematical field.
One is a mathematician insofar as one actively chooses to research mathematics and tries to discover/create new mathematics. Consequently, somebody with a degree in mathematics is not necessarily a mathematician. Timothy Gowers is a mathematician, Terry Tao is a mathematician, Kontsevich is a mathematician, etc. I would be more inclined to assert that people researching mathematics at a doctoral level, or professors of mathematics are mathematicians.

Hawking is most definitely a mathematician. He is primarily a physicist (which in itself is very mathematical), but he was also Lucasian Professor of Mathematics at Cambridge. In fact, the current professor is a theoretical physicist, but he is also a 'mathematician'.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 43
Original post by Indolence
One is a mathematician insofar as one actively chooses to research mathematics and tries to discover/create new mathematics. Consequently, somebody with a degree in mathematics is not necessarily a mathematician. Timothy Gowers is a mathematician, Terry Tao is a mathematician, Kontsevich is a mathematician, etc. I would be more inclined to assert that people researching mathematics at a doctoral level, or professors of mathematics are mathematicians.

Hawking is most definitely a mathematician. He is primarily a physicist (which in itself is very mathematical), but he was also Lucasian Professor of Mathematics at Cambridge. In fact, the current professor is a theoretical physicist, but he is also a 'mathematician'.

Mathematician
Herman Cain is a Mathematical genius that is fact. Just because he has not publish anything means nada.

He is brilliant in the Mathematical field.

No, he isn't. He has never done any maths in his life, as far as I can tell.
Reply 45
Original post by BlueSam3
No, he isn't. He has never done any maths in his life, as far as I can tell.

He is better than you
He is better than you

I'm hoping that BlueSam3 will reply that his dad could have Cain's dad in a fight so I have reason to close this utterly pointless thread.
Nope

You are a mathematician when you are being paid to discover new theorems, not until.
Reply 48
Original post by Mr M
I'm hoping that BlueSam3 will reply that his dad could have Cain's dad in a fight so I have reason to close this utterly pointless thread.

I reckon that Mr Steer from Educating Yorkshire is proper clever and 'e could take that Steven 'awkins in a competition any day. E's dead brilliant that Mr Steer!
He is better than you

*Looks at degree grades*. *Notices that Cain doesn't have any of those for maths*. Nope.

Original post by Mr M

I could if you really want me to.

Quick Reply

Latest