The Student Room Group

Resitting A Levels on gap year at 19 years old

Hi all,

Is it possible to resit exams on a gap year at 19 years old, soon to be 20?

I started college at 16 but was ill for the majority of the first year, and I also completely changed my subjects. Then, in my 3rd year I was suffering from depression and was ill during exams, I'm just wondering if I can resit externally on my gap year?
Yes, you can resit exams at any time as long as the same specification is still available.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by AT_17
Hi all,

I started college at 16 but was ill for the majority of the first year, and I also completely changed my subjects. Then, in my 3rd year I was suffering from depression and was ill during exams, I'm just wondering if I can resit externally on my gap year?

Yes, you can re-sit at any centre. You just need to ensure that any other centre uses your original Unique candidate number (UCI - of the form 222220001234A) so that all your results are seen as belonging to the same person. In general the cheapest and simplest place to go will be where you took your A levels - ask if they will have you back as an external candidate.
Reply 3
Original post by gdunne42
Yes, you can resit exams at any time as long as the same specification is still available.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Compost
Yes, you can re-sit at any centre. You just need to ensure that any other centre uses your original Unique candidate number (UCI - of the form 222220001234A) so that all your results are seen as belonging to the same person. In general the cheapest and simplest place to go will be where you took your A levels - ask if they will have you back as an external candidate.

Thanks for your help guys!
So, I wouldn't resit and ask my previous college? I can sign up for myself?
Original post by AT_17

Definitely ask if you can do the exams as a private candidate at your current college. This will be the cheapest option. If you don't want to or they won't let you then you can take them anywhere willing to accept you but you are likely to pay more.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Definitely ask if you can do the exams as a private candidate at your current college. This will be the cheapest option. If you don't want to or they won't let you then you can take them anywhere willing to accept you but you are likely to pay more.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks!
Do you pay for other things as well as the exam resits? And are the exams exactly the same as those who take them at college?
Also I'm worried about whether universities will look down on me for resitting exams, especially the Russell Groups
(edited 9 years ago)
They will charge some kind of admin fee on top of the examiners fee and that will vary widely from centre to centre so shop around. My college charges a one-off fee of £10 per year on top of the exam fees but only takes former students. I've seen fees as much as a £100 or more per exam in some private centres. They are exactly the same exams as every other student sits for that subject in that exam period.

I know lots of people doing popular/competitive courses at top universities who have re-sat some A level exams. Taking them outside the normal two years of A level study might affect your application for some courses. It depends what you want to study and where. Best thing to do is research where you want to go and contact their admissions staff for their opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
They will charge some kind of admin fee on top of the examiners fee and that will vary widely from centre to centre so shop around. My college charges a one-off fee of £10 per year on top of the exam fees but only takes former students. I've seen fees as much as a £100 or more per exam in some private centres. They are exactly the same exams as every other student sits for that subject in that exam period.

I know lots of people doing popular/competitive courses at top universities who have re-sat some A level exams. Taking them outside the normal two years of A level study might affect your application for some courses. It depends what you want to study and where. Best thing to do is research where you want to go and contact their admissions staff for their opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for your help! I was originally going to do study maths with a language but it seems maths is very difficult and uni and I don't think I could cope with it. I'm thinking of studying two languages, I'm just worried about my level of employability
Reply 8
Original post by AT_17

You still have to enter the exams through an exam centre (=any secondary school or college) and the cheapest option is likely to be your old one so try there first.
Reply 9
Original post by AT_17
Thanks!
Do you pay for other things as well as the exam resits? And are the exams exactly the same as those who take them at college?
Also I'm worried about whether universities will look down on me for resitting exams, especially the Russell Groups

There is likely to be an admin charge - this varies wildly between centres from nothing to £100. The exams will be just the same as anyone else taking them. If you are re-sitting then the offer may go up slightly (e.g. AAB rather than ABB) but ask individual universities if it matters.
Original post by AT_17

I've done two maths resits this year whilst on a gap year and got all 5 offers for German and business at:
University of Manchester
University of Liverpool
Newcastle University
Aston University
Sheffield Hallam University

I was only one grade off the required grades though. I would say make sure you apply to one or two uni's that you definitely have the grades for just in case.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by anastasia..x
I've done two maths resits this year whilst on a gap year and got all 5 offers for German and business at:
University of Manchester
University of Liverpool
Newcastle University
Aston University
Sheffield Hallam University

I was only one grade off the required grades though. I would say make sure you apply to one or two uni's that you definitely have the grades for just in case.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for your advice!
I will most likely take a gap year and resit a few exams. I've had a hectic last 1-2 years so I feel it is needed. I don't like the idea of going uni at 20 but a lot people say you'll fit in fine!
Original post by AT_17
Thanks for your advice!
I will most likely take a gap year and resit a few exams. I've had a hectic last 1-2 years so I feel it is needed. I don't like the idea of going uni at 20 but a lot people say you'll fit in fine!

your not alone mate, i am taking a gap year and gonna have to resit as an external candidate this year due to changes in funding and the fact that i got BCC rather than failed any a levels. gonna have to work really hard this year and hopefully my old teachers will be able to help me out with some marking and sitting in at "workshops". i think it was mainly my exam technique which let me down unfortunately :frown:
Reply 13
Original post by neal95
your not alone mate, i am taking a gap year and gonna have to resit as an external candidate this year due to changes in funding and the fact that i got BCC rather than failed any a levels. gonna have to work really hard this year and hopefully my old teachers will be able to help me out with some marking and sitting in at "workshops". i think it was mainly my exam technique which let me down unfortunately :frown:

Yeah I'm jealous of those who can cope with pressure. I got BBC, one mark off a B in maths and 4 off an A in germanz Absolutely gutted. Leeds won't let me in with offer ABB, but Manchester will hmm
Original post by neal95

hi,
im also in the same situation and i'm planning on finding private tutors . wbu?
Original post by AT_17
Hi all,

I'm not OP but I did my maths A level a couple of years ago but it was the old specification. So assuming I want to get a better grade, would I have to take the new spec?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not OP but I did my maths A level a couple of years ago but it was the old specification. So assuming I want to get a better grade, would I have to take the new spec?
Original post by navybluemug

Yes. It is now examined by 3 exams which all have to be taken in the same exam season. There is no choice of applied units.

Quick Reply

Latest