The Student Room Group

can an employer still pay you without p45?

what are the information on a p45/46 that an employer needs in order to pay you
Reply 1
Original post by daydreamer93
what are the information on a p45/46 that an employer needs in order to pay you

Tax details.
They'll still be able to pay you without one, you'll just have to pay tax at the emergency rate.

This should be temporary until you hand in your p45, but it may take until the end of the tax year to get it back depending on the circumstances.
ok, but does it make a difference? for whatever code it is, it's minimum wage pay 6.31
Original post by Aula
Tax details.
They'll still be able to pay you without one, you'll just have to pay tax at the emergency rate.

This should be temporary until you hand in your p45, but it may take until the end of the tax year to get it back depending on the circumstances.

what code shall I give her the emergency code on a cumulative basis or the emergency code on a non cumulative basis?
Reply 4
ok, but does it make a difference? for whatever code it is, it's minimum wage pay 6.31

No matter how much it is, you'll have 20% taken off it until your tax code is sorted out.
I've told my employer my tax code is 1000L, but she needs to send off my P46 so I get the right tax code but anyway for this I will get paid under 10,000 as its just a part time job
Reply 6
I've told my employer my tax code is 1000L, but she needs to send off my P46 so I get the right tax code but anyway for this I will get paid under 10,000 as its just a part time job

Ah, they also need to know how much you earned in your previous job to know that you are still under the 10,000 limit.

If you've not yet got your P45 from your previous employer, it's easier to just leave it as the emergency tax code. You should get it back later on.

Quick Reply