The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by melissas15
I'm 23 and surgery was first brought up as an option when I was 14. I've had braces from 15-17yo, and after loads of meetings with surgeons and orthodontics I had to get braces back on when I was 20. They're still on now & my teeth are getting prepped for surgery, I'll need another couple of years of braces after too.
I still have no idea when I'm actually gonna get the surgery, I need a lot of work on both my top and bottom jaw, I have an open bite, an underbite, the middle of my teeth is off centre, my teeth aren't at the same level in my mouth, my chin is off centre - basically it's a hell of a job.

Fortuantely youre going to be treated by arugably the most trained surgeons
They studied dentistry AND medicine at university :wink:
Original post by STARFLEET
Due to have double jaw surgery for an overbite in a couple of months!

How long does it take for the swelling to go down after surgery? And be able to carry on with work and uni?

Hi, I had single lower jaw surgery about 5 weeks ago, and it took 2 weeks for swelling to go down, and about 3-4 weeks before I was back to work - I have heard that double surgery takes longer - but that should give you some idea. Still only eating mushy food after 5 weeks though - orthodontist told me to wait 8 weeks before using my bite.

Good luck
Reply 342
Just to update, I had my I initial appointments with the consultant orthodontist two weeks ago, I was accepted for treatment which was a huge relief ! I've been told it's going to be a combination of othodontics and surgery but won't have the details until I have my joint appointment in October. It's likely I'll be fitted with braces after Christmas.

I'm just so happy something can be done to rectify the issues I have with my crossbite and jaw asymetry.
Reply 343
I'm due to have double jaw surgery in October, having my top jaw moved up and forward and rotated as it's not centre and then bottom jaw moved forward potentially back in 6-9 months for chin surgery. Feeling very nervous just wondered if anyone knows how long the surgery takes?
Hi push for it tell them how it makes you feel ie
Original post by Kelta86
I'm due to have double jaw surgery in October, having my top jaw moved up and forward and rotated as it's not centre and then bottom jaw moved forward potentially back in 6-9 months for chin surgery. Feeling very nervous just wondered if anyone knows how long the surgery takes?

Hi it's about 5 - 6 hours. It's not pleasant and is very uncomfortable after. You may feel weak and the worst you've ever ever felt but the results are worth it. :biggrin:
Reply 346
Original post by Helen poohead
Hi it's about 5 - 6 hours. It's not pleasant and is very uncomfortable after. You may feel weak and the worst you've ever ever felt but the results are worth it. :biggrin:

I'm all ready for the aftermath been waiting years for this bullied from the age of 9 I'm now 27 can't wait!!
I'm 17 and my double jaw surgery is tentatively pencilled in for next year as I've had my braces for a few months now (both top and bottom as I have an underbite and my bottom jaw goes off to the left slightly whilst my top goes off to the right slightly). How long is the recovery period? As I'm going into year 13 and don't want to defer a year when I go to uni as I'm planning to go in sept 2015! And do they put tubes in your neck? I'm terrible with tubes or needles haha! How long did you guys stay in hospital?
Original post by Slightlywelsh
I'm 17 and my double jaw surgery is tentatively pencilled in for next year as I've had my braces for a few months now (both top and bottom as I have an underbite and my bottom jaw goes off to the left slightly whilst my top goes off to the right slightly). How long is the recovery period? As I'm going into year 13 and don't want to defer a year when I go to uni as I'm planning to go in sept 2015! And do they put tubes in your neck? I'm terrible with tubes or needles haha! How long did you guys stay in hospital?

I had single jaw surgery (bottom) and was out of action for a month - I believe double surgery is longer - no point trying to pretend otherwise. I am 7 weeks post surgery and it wasn't as bad as I expected, but it was incredibly tiring - not painful, but uncomfortable. Prob best to have surgery at the beginning of the hols which will give you plenty of recovery time - good luck, feel free to PM if you want to ask questions.
Original post by Slightlywelsh

I had double jaw surgery back in 2012 and I would say 6 weeks was when I felt ready to do stuff properly again. I'd do something to celebrate finishing A levels so you don't feel like you've gone straight from revision to surgery! Then have it in July so you have the whole of august to recover. I didn't have any tubes in my neck, just the cannula in my hand :smile: I was in for one night; in one morning and out the next evening
How long is the waiting list to have the surgery?
Reply 351
I had braces for a serious overbite when I was a child. They did not work so they wanted to do the jaw surgery on me. I fled and never went back.

Now, 40 years later, I am living with the repercussions of that. My lower teeth rubbed against the back of my upper teeth for 40 years, thinning the upper teeth until they started to disintegrate. Then my lower teeth started to cut into the gum behind my teeth and my soft palate. I am now in pain every day and, if not treated, this will destroy the gum tissue and then the roots of my front teeth which I will lose. So I am now going for a consultation with the orthnognathic surgery clinic. So do have the surgery or you may one day find yourself regretting it. Hopefully you can choose a good time e.g. over the summer.
Reply 352
Original post by Anonymous
How long is the waiting list to have the surgery?

I think it depends on the surgeon I have been waiting just over 2 years and I am due to have mine the 3rd October u also have to wait for the braces to get your teeth positioned correctly
Reply 353
Hi everyone,how long did it take to get an appointment in joint clinic? I phoned the hospital and have been told that some people are waiting already one year.
Original post by meluge
Hi everyone,how long did it take to get an appointment in joint clinic? I phoned the hospital and have been told that some people are waiting already one year.

Yeah, it's a long process.

I was referred when I was about 8 or 9 so I can't really remember.
Reply 355
Original post by Mackay
Yeah, it's a long process.

I was referred when I was about 8 or 9 so I can't really remember.

I was referred 2 years ago and having my op this october
Reply 356
Hi there!
I'm Swiss and I'm going to study in Scotland (Edinburgh) and I have a question to make to you all:
I have an underbite, but I couldn't get it fixed in my country because I'm considered "too old" by my Health care insurance (I'm 22 years old).
Will NHS help me to get a free surgery or must i be a uk citizen to be eligible to it?

Thanks!
Reply 357
Original post by aless93
Hi there!
I'm Swiss and I'm going to study in Scotland (Edinburgh) and I have a question to make to you all:
I have an underbite, but I couldn't get it fixed in my country because I'm considered "too old" by my Health care insurance (I'm 22 years old).
Will NHS help me to get a free surgery or must i be a uk citizen to be eligible to it?

Thanks!

Hi I'm not to sure but if you are registered with a uk dentist they could quite possibly refer you to the nhs think your underbite has to be more than 4/5mm for nhs to consider surgery
Hi
My name is monica and in two days time (31st July 2014) I am going to have jaw surgery for an underbite
I am having both my upper and lower jaw moved

I am really nervous but not for the surgery itself but for the recovery process
But after reading some of the comments I feel a little more at ease
Any more tips?
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi everyone,

First of all, I'd like to say congrats to everyone who has done their jaw surgery and is recovering now! I just had my lower jaw surgery 3 weeks ago but my face is still slightly puffy. I have two rubber bands holding my jaws together, so eating solid food and chewing is out of the question. It has been a gruelling 3 weeks and I'm going to Exeter uni in September and I'm so afraid that people will make fun of me for my face :frown: can anyone give me any advice?

Also, to those about to go for surgery, I can't say much because I was very reluctant to go for surgery. Do be prepared to not be able to eat solid food for more than 3 months, so eat whatever you can before your surgery!! You'll definitely lose some weight as well, I lost 5kg in total but now it's stagnant cos I'm able to eat very soft noodles cut up into tiny pieces. Your face will swell and your self-esteem will plummet, you'll feel like you'll never look good again, but I'm honestly hoping and believing that I'll look better after this surgery, so keep the faith! After all, we are our own worst critic :smile:

For anyone who has questions about lower jaw surgery, feel free to message me! I'm not sure about double jaw surgery though but I heard that the recovery period is way longer.

Thank you and I hope I'll get some advice too regarding my issue! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest