The Student Room Group

Cheap car insurance?

I'm 21 and passed my test when I was 17 but car insurance is just ridiculous so haven't drove since! I've looked around and tried everything and I'm still getting quotes for around £5,000 which is crazy. Although I'm male I expect my insurance to be quite pricey but not by the quotes I've been receiving. I've only really started thinking of getting a car now as I'll be starting uni in September and will be quite beneficial.

Anyone know of good insurance companies that don't rip you off? Any information will be appreciated. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
First off, your gender should have no effect on your quote. That's something called sexism, which car insurance companies are no longer allowed to do.

Based on your age and how long ago you passed, £5000 is far too high. Which cars are you checking quotes for? Mercedes-Benz G Class?!!

I've been with Admiral since I was 17 (21 now) and I only pay about £700 (per year) for my BMW e46 320d.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by live_a_life
First off, your gender should have no effect on your quote. That's something called sexism, which car insurance companies are no longer allowed to do.

Based on your age and how long ago you passed, £5000 is far too high. Which cars are you checking quotes for? Mercedes-Benz G Class?!!

I've been with Admiral since I was 17 (21 now) and I only pay about £700 (per year) for my BMW e46 320d.

I've been putting in cars such as a Corsa's and Clio's with low engine sizes but it's still at a high price. People have recommended a black box but don't really want to go with that option.

Did you phone up admiral or do it online? Will definitely look at them, thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ATDENT
I've been putting in cars such as a Corsa's and Clio's with low engine sizes but it's still at a high price. People have recommended a black box but don't really want to go with that option.

Did you phone up admiral or do it online? Will definitely look at them, thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I usually get a quote from them online, then call them telling them to drop the price a little more.

I've never had a black box but my friend has one and he finds it quite restrictive!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by live_a_life
I usually get a quote from them online, then call them telling them to drop the price a little more.

I've never had a black box but my friend has one and he finds it quite restrictive!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Checked admiral and got a quote for £1,288 which is much better than any price I've been quoted before so really pleased. Will definitely phone them up and discuss if possible to lower it. Thanks for the recommendation, much appreciated!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ATDENT
Checked admiral and got a quote for £1,288 which is much better than any price I've been quoted before so really pleased. Will definitely phone them up and discuss if possible to lower it. Thanks for the recommendation, much appreciated!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, that figure sounds MUCH better and looks about right to me!

Glad I could help, buddy :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending