The Student Room Group

How do you take criticism?

I mean criticism that you feel is harsh or inaccurate. Does it put you down? Do you just forget about it?

Scroll to see replies

I don't take criticism well generally especially if it's harsh - I find it upsetting but I do get over it in a while
Reply 2
If the Criticism is fair, I don't really have a choice but to accept it.

If it is unfair, then it isn't really criticism, so you just don't listen.
If it is logical, then take it on board and learn from it. Never take it as an insult though, even if that was the intention. The thought's and words of others are there to be accessed or ignored as you see fit. Allowing others to use your own emotions and empathy against you, is a big no. After all we are all flawed individuals.
Reply 4
I don't really take criticism well, I'll listen to it and be respectful whether I agree with it or not regardless. There's two kinds of criticism though - improvement and nonsense.

If the criticism is something that could help me improve, or is another way in tackling something (such as an alternate method of doing something that's quicker) then that's improvement criticism because it helps you improve. Similarly, criticism that's honest (and what you don't want to hear!) and will help you improve in the long run is good too.

However, criticism that won't change anything and is done just for that specific person's needs (such as re-doing work just to increase the font by +1 for a teacher when it's easily visible - or when you get told off that your work is too detailed... :angry:) is useless and generally makes you feel mad because you're not wrong, but that one person wants it like that for their needs - and it feels like you're getting told off for it. I hate that 'criticism' - nonsense criticism.
Moved to chat :smile:

I usually don't take too well to it as I'm stupidly sensitive, but I can handle it sometimes :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
It depends- What am I being criticised on? Who's criticising me and how are they criticising me?

Usually I can take it well, better than I did when I was younger. If the person is being spiteful I might just say, "thank you" or tell them "that was rude" etc. and walk away. All (or most?) criticism is good so it's good to listen and take on board what the person is saying.

I can be very stubborn (a stubborn cow) and not admit that another idea is better than mine though e.g. in school :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
9/10 times I'll just roll my eyes lol, but I know I'm not perfect so I don't get upset or anything
Reply 8
So many immature people in this thread I take criticism really well and always make sure to look within before I lash out at people for being honest.

I keep it real.
Original post by mynameisntbobk
9/10 times I'll just roll my eyes lol, but I know I'm not perfect so I don't get upset or anything

Original post by karmacrunch
It depends- What am I being criticised on? Who's criticising me and how are they criticising me?

Usually I can take it well, better than I did when I was younger. If the person is being spiteful I might just say, "thank you" or tell them "that was rude" etc. and walk away. All (or most?) criticism is good so it's good to listen and take on board what the person is saying.

I can be very stubborn (a stubborn cow) and not admit that another idea is better than mine though e.g. in school :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Changing Skies
Moved to chat :smile:

I usually don't take too well to it as I'm stupidly sensitive, but I can handle it sometimes :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by MidnightDream
I don't take criticism well generally especially if it's harsh - I find it upsetting but I do get over it in a while
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Armin.
So many immature people in this thread I take criticism really well and always make sure to look within before I lash out at people for being honest.

I keep it real.

We're talking about unwarranted criticism, look at the OP.

Plus it was a joke. I just usually laugh it off, or smile.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Armin.

I keep it real.

I don't "lash out", I will deal with it maturely to their face but think about it a lot afterwards.
Original post by Armin.

I keep it real.

This is example of non-constructive criticism... :rolleyes:

Who says we lash out? I agree that is immature but trying to belittle us is not mature either.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Armin.

I keep it real.

If it's fair I always take it on board, even though I am upset about I'm not going to disregard it. To me that's not immature - what is immature is making putting words into other people's mouths - where did I say I would lash out exactly?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Strom
I mean criticism that you feel is harsh or inaccurate. Does it put you down? Do you just forget about it?

I'm willing to listen to anyones criticism once.
I don't take it to heart. I just view at as getting research on a public poll about myself.

most of the time it does not effect or bother me. but sometimes it does. either way I still keep up the image that it doesn't bother me. I don't want them to have anything to smirk about.

I see my self like a state.

and the states intelligence agency always keeps an eye on what other countries say or think about them.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Armin.

I keep it real.

How exactly am I being immature?
Reply 15
Instantly take it on board and act upon it. Unless it is a load of rubbish where I know what I did, will do or am doing is the correct way.

For example when someone told me how to play football I told them to shush their mouth. Not like I had played for over 8 years for a club where we won varies tournaments and played against premier league equivalent sides at our age group.

Where as if someone criticised what I wore it'd be fine. I have no idea about fashion and what makes you look good. :laugh:
Reply 16
We are imperfect so there is no such thing as unwarranted criticism. We could all improve and indeed we do improve all the time just look back to 5 years ago and think about how much you've become better at dealing with sticky situations. It's my opinion that all criticism even terrible one comes from a real place so it's in your best interest to take it on board even if you didn't like the method of delivery or the messenger.

Original post by Mubariz
We're talking about unwarranted criticism, look at the OP.

Plus it was a joke. I just usually laugh it off, or smile.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Changing Skies
I don't "lash out", I will deal with it maturely to their face but think about it a lot afterwards.

Original post by karmacrunch
This is example of non-constructive criticism... :rolleyes:

Who says we lash out? I agree that is immature but trying to belittle us is not mature either.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by MidnightDream
If it's fair I always take it on board, even though I am upset about I'm not going to disregard it. To me that's not immature - what is immature is making putting words into other people's mouths - where did I say I would lash out exactly?

Original post by Mick.w
I'm willing to listen to anyones criticism once.
I don't take it to heart. I just view at as getting research on a public poll about myself.

most of the time it does not effect or bother me. but sometimes it does. either way I still keep up the image that it doesn't bother me. I don't want them to have anything to smirk about.

How exactly am I being immature?
Original post by Armin.
We are imperfect so there is no such thing as unwarranted criticism. We could all improve and indeed we do improve all the time just look back to 5 years ago and think about how much you've become better at dealing with sticky situations. It's my opinion that all criticism even terrible one comes from a real place so it's in your best interest to take it on board even if you didn't like the method of delivery or the messenger.

Did you actually read any of my posts before you quoted me?
Reply 18
Did you actually read any of my posts before you quoted me?

*Backs away slowly.* Immature person alert.
Original post by Armin.

The OP specified what it did.

For example, if somebody started criticising how I did my hair, I'd just think inside "I don't give a ****" I'd probably say it to them to be fair, because that is my personal choice and I like it, I do it for me and nobody else.

If somebody for example criticised that I was being too loud, too possessive, too controlling whatever, then I'd look over what I did and how to improve. You feel?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest