The Student Room Group

would you go out with a guy in a wheelchair?

I often feel girls don't look at guys like me for three reasons.
1: sex some Girls feel they won't be able to have sex by going out with me which is not true as I am fully functional.
2: Fear of How Society views them by going out with someone like me.
3:Fear of becoming a carer more than a Boyfriend this would not be a issue with me as I am becoming more independent day by day.

would you go out with him or would these issues get in your way

Scroll to see replies

The vast majority of girls in your age range are very up themselves, are incredibly stupid, care too much about what other people think, are constantly selfie-ing, etc. Do you really want to be with people like that anyway, who can't look past the chair?
Reply 2
Original post by Pectorac
The vast majority of girls in your age range are very up themselves, are incredibly stupid, care too much about what other people think, are constantly selfie-ing, etc. Do you really want to be with people like that anyway, who can't look past the chair?

I know but surely their has too be some girls who would see past that it is so hard having to wait due to something that is not your fault when the girls if they were in my position would expect the guy to say yes.
Original post by Styl1994
I often feel girls don't look at guys like me for three reasons.
1: sex some Girls feel they won't be able to have sex by going out with me which is not true as I am fully functional.
2: Fear of How Society views them by going out with someone like me.
3:Fear of becoming a carer more than a Boyfriend this would not be a issue with me as I am becoming more independent day by day.

would you go out with him or would these issues get in your way

I would think another reason would be that a lot of girls like to see their boyfriend as a protector of sorts, and they may not see a guy in a wheelchair as able to fulfill that role.

I think like a lot of things, this will be a problem with a lot of girls, but there is always a significant pool of girls who it won't be a problem with, especially as you get older.

I'd have reservations about dating a girl in a wheelchair, but I wouldn't rule it out.
Reply 4
1. If I knew I would be reassured, one does not like to assume. People who assume aren't good people.
2. I can't even think of a negative portrayal in society so I don't think that would ever be an issue
3. That would be in my mind the main issue for people (ignoring Pectorac's stupid comment), but again people who don't assume won't find it an issue.
In a way it's similar to a single dad - in the way a girl might feel she has to have a more active role than she may do normally. But tbh things will always come along eventually.
I'd definitely consider it
Reply 6
Original post by Mankytoes
I would think another reason would be that a lot of girls like to see their boyfriend as a protector of sorts, and they may not see a guy in a wheelchair as able to fulfill that role.

I think like a lot of things, this will be a problem with a lot of girls, but there is always a significant pool of girls who it won't be a problem with, especially as you get older.

I'd have reservations about dating a girl in a wheelchair, but I wouldn't rule it out.

point taken but it is silly what do they think a fight is going to happen everywhere and tbh their a different way of making woman feel safe
Reply 7
Original post by Inazuma
1. If I knew I would be reassured, one does not like to assume. People who assume aren't good people.
2. I can't even think of a negative portrayal in society so I don't think that would ever be an issue
3. That would be in my mind the main issue for people (ignoring Pectorac's stupid comment), but again people who don't assume won't find it an issue.
In a way it's similar to a single dad - in the way a girl might feel she has to have a more active role than she may do normally. But tbh things will always come along eventually.

I agree with you but every guy has their pros and cons this is my one con
Reply 8
I agree with you but every guy has their pros and cons this is my one con

Well if it's your only one con then you're already doing better than most of the population of TSR :tongue:
Don't worry :-)
Sure why not
point taken but it is silly what do they think a fight is going to happen everywhere and tbh their a different way of making woman feel safe

I think it's more a psychological thing, often subconsciously, like how women like taller guys. But you're right, there are other ways of making women feel secure, and if you can do them you can definitely get girls.

It's easy to get all mysogynistic like Pectorac, but everyone is irrational when it comes to attraction, it's emotional, not logical.

If it is your one con, as you say, you'll attract loads of women, if you're confident, funny, good looking you'll have no problems. I knew a guy in a wheelchair at uni who got with girls, I remember him wheeling past me across the dancefloor with a girl on his lap, fair play to him.
Reply 11
I think it's more a psychological thing, often subconsciously, like how women like taller guys. But you're right, there are other ways of making women feel secure, and if you can do them you can definitely get girls.

It's easy to get all mysogynistic like Pectorac, but everyone is irrational when it comes to attraction, it's emotional, not logical.

If it is your one con, as you say, you'll attract loads of women, if you're confident, funny, good looking you'll have no problems. I knew a guy in a wheelchair at uni who got with girls, I remember him wheeling past me across the dancefloor with a girl on his lap, fair play to him.

yeah like you say their girls that will but I just don't seem to have the luck of meeting them lool
yeah like you say their girls that will but I just don't seem to have the luck of meeting them lool

Do you approach women a lot?

I wouldn't assume it's all down to the chair, plenty of people your age haven't been in relationships.
Reply 14

Not really they just got numbers and we don't know they could be fake I also mostly use a power wheelchair
Reply 15
Do you approach women a lot?

I wouldn't assume it's all down to the chair, plenty of people your age haven't been in relationships.

I done it once and got put down badly knock my confidences out of me
I already love you for being so damn honest about all issues touched on. Truth is, our society is a flawed and it has more clones than actual real people.
I'd definitely still find someone attractive if in a wheelchair. And if they were still able to function by themselves and wouldn't end up dependent on me as a carer, I honestly would.
Reply 18
I think people read the aggressive first comment and are too shy to say what they really feel lol

I wouldn't date someone in a wheelchair but if I dated/married someone who ended up in one I wouldn't leave em because of the chair, no. But would I start something with a guy in it, no, ludicrous.
Reply 19
Original post by ApeMob
I think people read the aggressive first comment and are too shy to say what they really feel lol

I wouldn't date someone in a wheelchair but if I dated/married someone who ended up in one I wouldn't leave em because of the chair, no. But would I start something with a guy in it, no, ludicrous.

Ok can I ask you a question say you were in a wheelchair would you want guys to turn you down because of it

Quick Reply

Latest