The Student Room Group

How do you take criticism?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Strom
I mean criticism that you feel is harsh or inaccurate. Does it put you down? Do you just forget about it?

depends on what type of criticism it is. If it like a message saying I failed in this and that an failed in life. Im gonna ignore these.

however If it is a letter that is written out fully. It would hurt a bit.
Original post by Armin.

1. We are imperfect so there is no such thing as unwarranted criticism.
2.We could all improve and indeed we do improve all the time just look back to 5 years ago and think about how much you've become better at dealing with sticky situations.
3. It's my opinion that all criticism even terrible one comes from a real place

1. Well if a person is being spiteful or is jealous of someone and starts criticising them because of that... that isn't fair at all?
2. Read my first post
3. Read my first post...

I said criticism is important and you should take it but you react in different ways.
Please don't quote me again and if you reply to people reply to them individually.
Original post by mynameisntbobk
Did you actually read any of my posts before you quoted me?

I know right... :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 22
I think the people that are getting hot under the collar are demonstrating how immature they're being.
I don't take it well most of the time, even if it wasn't harsh and meant in a constructive way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Armin.
I think the people that are getting hot under the collar are demonstrating how immature they're being.

You're not criticising us constructively... I'm annoyed yes but not "hot under the collar". :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
I've never really been fussed with criticism. I find people that take time from their life to criticise me, either have nothing better to do, or have some serious issues with attention.

I can only ever take criticism seriously when it's constructive.
Not well, I'm very sensitive.
Reply 28
One has to distinguish between criticism, scrutiny, compliments and flattery. So this question really is broad but in general once I figure out the person's intentions I react as appropriately as possible...and honestly I feel people want to put you down. So I ignore their words :closedeyes: unless they have a valid point, then I secretly revise myself in that area, maybe. I shyly take compliments, never let anyone gas me. :smile: Take compliments AND criticism ONLY from those who you KNOW CARE about you for REAL.
Original post by Armin.
*Backs away slowly.* Immature person alert.

Lol ok then

Original post by karmacrunch
I know right... :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think some people look for trouble. Will not be giving him the satisfaction of replying
It's worse if I think it is accurate.

If I think it is undeserved then I treat it with a big **** you.
Original post by mynameisntbobk

I think some people look for trouble. Will not be giving him the satisfaction of replying

Good :smile:

Original post by ChaoticButterfly
It's worse if I think it is accurate.

If I think it is undeserved then I treat it with a big **** you.

Isn't it better to be told than not know?

&

:five:

(Without *insert rude word here*) :tongue:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by karmacrunch
Good :smile:

Isn't it better to be told than not know?

&

:five:

(Without *insert rude word here*) :tongue:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends. I feel bad enough about myself without it being validated :s-smilie:

I also find those situation awkward. Like I do have a thick skin but if I feel people think I am some kind of fragile plant pot (not sure where I am going with this) which makes me feel awkward. Like them thinking the criticism hurts me makes me feel embarrassed if that makes any sense :/

You should swear more. Tis a great thing.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by Strom
I mean criticism that you feel is harsh or inaccurate. Does it put you down? Do you just forget about it?

I tend to just be able to brush it off and not comment on it. It used to make me angry though.

I work in a care home for people with dementia and tend to get a lot of unjustified criticism, shouting and cursing at me! They are only like that because they're confused, so I've learned to let it just go over my head.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Depends. I feel bad enough about myself without it being validated :s-smilie:

You should swear more. Tis a great thing.

I'm sure your fine! You can use the criticism (depending on whether it is good or not) to better yourself I guess. :console:

Nope, I'm good thanks :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm quite sensitive so usually the criticism hurts me but in front of the person I'd just graciously accept it and think about it afterwards. But I get over it pretty quickly and try to use it constructively. :smile:
Last time I received harsh criticism, I ripped up a chapter of a novel that I'd been working on much to the horror of my relatives. I got a b*llocking from my older cousin for that. :colondollar: Another time I can recall having a meltdown which was much worse because I completely lost it.

I'm very immature when it comes to harsh criticism.
Reply 37
I generally ignore criticism, and try to take constructive criticism into account if it is civil.
I would just brush off inaccurate criticism, but if the criticism was harsh and somewhat true I would be negatively affected by it.
Wih a slegde hammer. Like Thor.

Quick Reply

Latest