The Student Room Group

Apple Macbook Help!

Scroll to see replies

I had the same issue! I'm personally going for the 11" :smile:

Although apparently they might be releasing a 12" model so that should solve everything!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by sophieleannexo
I'll have a play around with them before I buy. Personally leaning towards 13inch now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would also recommend the 13". The difference in portability is really not that big, and the 13" is much easier to read from.

They have the same graphics and most specs I believe, and it's definitely good enough for your uses.

The 13" also seems to have much better battery life.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by carnationlilyrose
You've obviously put more thought into this than I have.

Hahaha occupational habit of an engineer. I always put way too much thought into everything!

Another interesting trivia about Macbook screens is that they have 16:10 aspect ratio instead of the much more common 16:9, so their 13.3" is actually close to the screen area of most 14" laptops.
Get the 13 inch, and get it from Apple, you get a student discount if you're going uni.
Original post by ihavemooedtoday
Hahaha occupational habit of an engineer. I always put way too much thought into everything!

Another interesting trivia about Macbook screens is that they have 16:10 aspect ratio instead of the much more common 16:9, so their 13.3" is actually close to the screen area of most 14" laptops.

Gulp. I feel unworthy. I just bought it because it looks cool and I got the educational discount on it.
Worst case scenario and you find the 11 inch too small, you can always hook up an external monitor :smile: and from what I know the 13 inch and 11 inch graphics do not differ since they both use the same chipset
Original post by EdenHazard
Get the 13 inch, and get it from Apple, you get a student discount if you're going uni.

I'll be getting the laptop from an apple store anyway. And thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Trihawk7
Worst case scenario and you find the 11 inch too small, you can always hook up an external monitor :smile: and from what I know the 13 inch and 11 inch graphics do not differ since they both use the same chipset

I won't have an external monitor at uni...I think I'm just going to go with the 11inch...it's cheaper.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would also recommend the 13". The difference in portability is really not that big, and the 13" is much easier to read from.

They have the same graphics and most specs I believe, and it's definitely good enough for your uses.

The 13" also seems to have much better battery life.

Thanks for this! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Flobie
I had the same problem! I'm personally going for the 11" :smile:

Although apparently they might be releasing a 12" model so problem solved!

Why are you choosing 11inch over the 13inch?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why are you choosing 11inch over the 13inch?

Posted from TSR Mobile

More portable as it fits in bags more easily, the screen is great despite its size. We watched sample videos on both 11 and 13 inch in the apple store and the quality was great on both of them, also my mum has a 13" ultra book and when using hers, I noticed that there was so much empty space.. For example, on the internet, the actual content of a web page only took up about 2/3 of the screen, with empty space either side. Same on Microsoft word as well! It just seemed to me that shrinking the screen a bit would have little effect other than just reducing the amount of empty space.

Also the 11" is cheaper so I might have some money left over to get a new phone, and if I want to watch something on a bigger screen I can just play it on a TV via a hdmi cable :smile:
I find 11" laptops to be just a tad bit small for everyday usage especially if it will be your only computer.

The one advantage the 13" MBA has is it has a better battery which gives it a very long usable time between charging.

In terms of weight there isn't really a significant difference between the 2.

In terms of pricing it isn't that much more between the 2 and if you buy it through the Apple Higher education discount you do get a 20% discount or if you so happen to be going to Luxembourg you could buy it for 23% less than you would in UK.

Finally changed over to using a Mac laptop, bought a MBP 13" and did weigh it up against a MBA 13" with the 256GB storage.

One thing you might want to consider is buying a unit that has more storage and memory to future proof it.
Original post by Flobie
More portable as it fits in bags more easily, the screen is great despite its size. We watched sample videos on both 11 and 13 inch in the apple store and the quality was great on both of them, also my mum has a 13" ultra book and when using hers, I noticed that there was so much empty space.. For example, on the internet, the actual content of a web page only took up about 2/3 of the screen, with empty space either side. Same on Microsoft word as well! It just seemed to me that shrinking the screen a bit would have little effect other than just reducing the amount of empty space.

Also the 11" is cheaper so I might have some money left over to get a new phone, and if I want to watch something on a bigger screen I can just play it on a TV via a hdmi cable :smile:

Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Alfissti
I find 11" laptops to be just a tad bit small for everyday usage especially if it will be your only computer.

The one advantage the 13" MBA has is it has a better battery which gives it a very long usable time between charging.

In terms of weight there isn't really a significant difference between the 2.

In terms of pricing it isn't that much more between the 2 and if you buy it through the Apple Higher education discount you do get a 20% discount or if you so happen to be going to Luxembourg you could buy it for 23% less than you would in UK.

Finally changed over to using a Mac laptop, bought a MBP 13" and did weigh it up against a MBA 13" with the 256GB storage.

One thing you might want to consider is buying a unit that has more storage and memory to future proof it.

Thank you! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
i'm pretty sure you can buy a 256 gb 13.3 inch i5 mba which is much better value for money rather than the base mba
I've decided to get an Apple Mac for university and I'm struggling to decide whether to get the Macbook Air 11inch or the Macbook Air 13inch. I'd prefer portability but have tested out both in shops and can't decide on which one. I'm going to need it for word processing, Skyping and listening to music as well as internet browsing so need something that can withstand that. I've looked at the tech specs but I don't really understand. Help!

Sophie :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

macbooks are way worse

ive spent £1250 on mine, top spec 13 inch with 512 gb ssd

My desktop that is 3 years old loads web pages faster than them

Also, ive had the rainbow pinwheel for freezing atleast once every 2-3 days

the sad thing is i cant even press ctrl alt delete to get to the task manager and delete the programme

get a good acer or samsung or lenovo ultrabook

buy a samsung ssd and it will be much much better, trust me

dont buy into the macbook hype and get ripped off

i was in the mac store yesterday and the macbook pros in white city all had the same problem, they took ages to load web pages, the idiot genius excuse : " our network is slow"

WHAT? a company that sells high end electronic equipment and relies on good wifi to sell its products has a bad network

I mean wtf??

good luck wasting your cash if you decide to buy it
Original post by rickfloss
macbooks are way worse

ive spent £1250 on mine, top spec 13 inch with 512 gb ssd

My desktop that is 3 years old loads web pages faster than them

Also, ive had the rainbow pinwheel for freezing atleast once every 2-3 days

the sad thing is i cant even press ctrl alt delete to get to the task manager and delete the programme

get a good acer or samsung or lenovo ultrabook

buy a samsung ssd and it will be much much better, trust me

dont buy into the macbook hype and get ripped off

i was in the mac store yesterday and the macbook pros in white city all had the same *******, they took ages to load web pages, the idiot genius excuse : " our network is slow"

WHAT? a company that sells high end electronic equipment and relies on good wifi to sell its products has a bad network

I mean wtf??

good luck wasting your cash if you decide to buy it

You ARE aware that web page loading time has almost nothing to do with the computer, and is almost entirely your network speed?...
Reply 37
You ARE aware that web page loading time has almost nothing to do with the computer, and is almost entirely your network speed?...

Can be - my late 2009 macbook is way slower at loading pages than my i5 HP. If you want a Mac the 13" is more practical (I've tried netbooks and small PCs in stores before and found them to be too small, and have carried a 13" laptop to college each day and found it to be a decent size)

Also there are CD drives cheaper than the expensive official apple one which work with macs
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by brilld
Can be - my late 2009 macbook is way slower at loading pages than my i5 HP. If you want a Mac the 13" is more practical (I've tried netbooks and small PCs in stores before and found them to be too small, and have carried a 13" laptop to college each day and found it to be a decent size)

Also there are CD drives cheaper than the expensive official apple one which work with macs

Hence 'almost' :smile:.

All modern computers will load pages reasonably fast with a fast network connection.

Can you read? My ipad and desktop computer loads pages almost instantly

All run off the same bloody network

troll harder
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending