The Student Room Group

Students who get an A* grade in English are more clever than those doing Math/Science

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Dilzo999
gimmi some of dat **** u been smokin.

On a serious note, English just consists of how well you can bullsh*t. Maths on the other hand is about applying logic and there's only 1 right answer, so you can't "get lucky".

Yeah but it is surprisingly hard to make random crap up properly :frown:
Original post by Asciant
Everyone at my school who gets an A/A* in maths gets the same in English lol :biggrin: Although there are some who are maths/english Gods but they still get A*s in the other subject

Hmm, maybe it's just my school then. :lol:

I was English Set 1 and we were all talking like what's your Maths grade, and we were all like we're **** at Maths. :tongue: None of us were A* students, at the most A grade (I was one of the A grades, I'm not the best at Maths though I do try). :smile:

Well there was this one guy in my English class who was an A* Maths student, and he got C/B grades in English.
Everyone saying how English lit is so hard, but am I the only one who found language MUCH harder?
It's only at GCSE level I'm talking, but most people here are experienced in GCSE English and are complaining about that more o.o

Although my english lang teacher hating me and marking down my coursework at Bs was annoying D:, and somehow getting a D on one of my exams, despite getting an A on an exam I did right before/after it o.o (and there was only 10 UMS marks between the two exam marks, get one was a D and one an A!)

As to answer the question, of course OP wasn't serious. Whilst I don't disagree with the points of saying English is hard (hey it was my worst GCSE) it's more the points that sciences are just memorisation subjects, which they are not XD. And I know plenty of people who need to work hard for maths, much like many need to work hard for English ;3
Original post by Dilzo999
gimmi some of dat **** u been smokin.

On a serious note, English just consists of how well you can bullsh*t. Maths on the other hand is about applying logic and there's only 1 right answer, so you can't "get lucky".

Frustrates me when people say that, in terms of the A level anyway. :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
OP you are right to some extent but wrong to some. Most students on this sites do edexcel, AQA, OCR etc which are exams mostly done in the UK( But could be opted to be done internationally). However,there are other exam boards you have not considered like CIE. If u have not done that or IB please the **** down. Science students who go through that are literally taught 1st yr and 2nd yr uni material. And past papers are for familiarising oneself only with style and format...The tutors themselves say it is only 19% that is tested on remembering content and understanding the rest is ALL application.
Reply 45
Original post by yellowcopter
Hmm, maybe it's just my school then. :lol:

I was English Set 1 and we were all talking like what's your Maths grade, and we were all like we're **** at Maths. :tongue: None of us were A* students, at the most A grade (I was one of the A grades, I'm not the best at Maths though I do try). :smile:

Well there was this one guy in my English class who was an A* Maths student, and he got C/B grades in English.

lol there are like 60 people in top set at my school and in general (bar 1/2 people) the top set english and maths groups are the same, and the 8 people in gifted maths group all get A*s in English too so I think it is your school :lol:
Original post by Asciant
lol there are like 60 people in top set at my school and in general (bar 1/2 people) the top set english and maths groups are the same, and the 8 people in gifted maths group all get A*s in English too so I think it is your school :lol:

Your school is generous, our top set is 15 people from the whole year.
Reply 47
Your school is generous, our top set is 15 people from the whole year.

Wow, we have 2 top sets of 30 or so (maybe less actually, maybe more like 25) in each year for maths + sciences and a different one for english. I'd say approx half for each set are predicted A*s so it seems reasonable. How big is your school there's roughly 240 a year at mine?
Original post by mayamiller
OP you are right to some extent but wrong to some. Most students on this sites do edexcel, AQA, OCR etc which are exams mostly done in the UK( But could be opted to be done internationally). However,there are other exam boards you have not considered like CIE. If u have not done that or IB please the **** down. Science students who go through that are literally taught 1st yr and 2nd yr uni material. And past papers are for familiarising oneself only with style and format...The tutors themselves say it is only 19% that is tested on remembering content and understanding the rest is ALL application.

Since they are viewed in the same level I highly doubt they are that hard.

Let's be real here.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you're not F/O Investment Banker at Goldman Sachs, you're not smart.

/thread
Reply 50
Original post by Abdul-Karim
If you're not Investment Banker, you're not smart.

/thread

Not entirely true, plenty of smart people who are not investment bankers, surprisingly
Original post by Asciant
Wow, we have 2 top sets of 30 or so (maybe less actually, maybe more like 25) in each year for maths + sciences and a different one for english. I'd say approx half for each set are predicted A*s so it seems reasonable. How big is your school there's roughly 240 a year at mine?

By the way this discussion is starting to sound heated, I'm not trying to fight with you just so you know. :tongue: I agree that most A* students are usually A* in both Maths, Sciences and English. How lucky for them, since I'm not whatsoever!

We have 300 students in our year, but they never let anyone into Set 1 unless they have amazing progress in English, for example always having amazing grades, they check your progress since Year 7 to determine it. That's why we only have 15, personally I think it's crazy. They wouldn't even let anyone that has at least a Level 6 grade in Year 7 in the subject into Set 1 for Year 10 and 11. It's the reason why I ended up in Set 4 for Maths, since I was a Level 3A/4C in Year 7.

The rest go into Set 2A, so Set 2A are somewhat considered Set 1 at my school also.

/thread

If say most scientists are perceived (and in my opinion are) more intelligent than investment bankers.

That's not to say I domt want to go into finance, I do, but people like Einstein, Leonardo da Vinci, Newton, Liebniz are really just on another level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Asciant
Not entirely true, plenty of smart people who are not investment bankers, surprisingly

Source?
Original post by Mubariz
If say most scientists are perceived (and in my opinion are) more intelligent than investment bankers.

That's not to say I domt want to go into finance, I do, but people like Einstein, Leonardo da Vinci, Newton, Liebniz are really just on another level.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I disagree. Warren Buffet is the legend, although he didn't work at GS.
Reply 55

/thread

Investment banking... you can't be serious :rofl:

There are a few roles within the finance industry that are littered with insanely intelligent people, IB isn't one of them.
Original post by Noble.
Investment banking... you can't be serious :rofl:

There are a few roles within the finance industry that are littered with insanely intelligent people, IB isn't one of them.

Current account balance > Life itself.
Reply 57
By the way this discussion is starting to sound heated, I'm not trying to fight with you just so you know. :tongue: I agree that most A* students are usually A* in both Maths, Sciences and English. How lucky for them, since I'm not whatsoever!

We have 300 students in our year, but they never let anyone into Set 1 unless they have amazing progress in English, for example always having amazing grades, they check your progress since Year 7 to determine it. That's why we only have 15, personally I think it's crazy. They wouldn't even let anyone that has at least a Level 6 grade in Year 7 in the subject into Set 1 for Year 10 and 11. It's the reason why I ended up in Set 4 for Maths, since I was a Level 3A/4C in Year 7.

The rest go into Set 2A, so Set 2A are somewhat considered Set 1 at my school also.

Is it? :tongue: That was not my intention and I am sorry :smile:

Wow, that is kind of ridiculous and doesn't make much sense. I think my year 7 english was like level 0, and I'm targeted an A* (although I doubt I will get that because I can't write properly :biggrin:). The setting system at your school sounds kind of silly really, you can't judge people on their year 7 grades because y'know, people change :tongue:
I disagree. Warren Buffet is the legend, although he didn't work at GS.

He was very smart too I won't deny that.

But you know what, Bill Gates, even more so. And he was a scientist

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 59
Source?

There's that person on countdown who can do really good adding up and she's not an investment banker

Quick Reply

Latest