The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Dilemma!

Hi!

I don't know if I'm posting this in the correct place or not , but I have a bit of a predicament and I really don't know what to do. My name is Sam and I am a 19 year old who has just finished studying my engineering level 3 BTEC Diploma. I am due to go on to study at Northumbria University and study civil engineering. I have never really be sure about my choice as being an engineering and I don't think I would suit that line of work. I am having major doubts about this and had the thoughts of being a psychologist, I know this is a bit of a drastic change but it makes sense based on my personality type. I know I maybe shouldn't go off this but my personality type is ENFJ, and I have always thought about being a psychologist, it gives me better feelings than say being an engineering does. I am stuck in the dilemma of what to do. Would I have to go back to college and study psychology? Or is there a way of starting it at University? What are my options? A little help would be greatly appreciated, I am so worried about my future.

Thanks for your time.
Original post by Samrad
Hi!

I don't know if I'm posting this in the correct place or not , but I have a bit of a predicament and I really don't know what to do. My name is Sam and I am a 19 year old who has just finished studying my engineering level 3 BTEC Diploma. I am due to go on to study at Northumbria University and study civil engineering. I have never really be sure about my choice as being an engineering and I don't think I would suit that line of work. I am having major doubts about this and had the thoughts of being a psychologist, I know this is a bit of a drastic change but it makes sense based on my personality type. I know I maybe shouldn't go off this but my personality type is ENFJ, and I have always thought about being a psychologist, it gives me better feelings than say being an engineering does. I am stuck in the dilemma of what to do. Would I have to go back to college and study psychology? Or is there a way of starting it at University? What are my options? A little help would be greatly appreciated, I am so worried about my future.

Thanks for your time.

Okay, there a few things to cover here. Firstly just because you do engineering doesn't mean you need to be an engineer- if there are other jobs you are interested in doing, you may be able to do them with an engineering degree (particularly if you are going to enjoy engineering). To become a psychologist is a very long road, you have to do quite a bit of postgraduate training to become one. My brother starts at York doing psyc next year and it will take him 8 years to qualify as an educational psychologist if he goes down that route.

In terms of studying, no you wouldn't necessarily need to go back to college. A lot of psychology degrees won't ask for specific subjects (they don't at Northumbria, where you are going for engineering, for instance). The best thing to do is contact universities, you've got your grades if you've done a BTec, so you can tell places what you've got and they can offer you a place based on that. The other way would be to do a graduate conversion course, however, these are expensive and funding is an expensive bank loan (unless you've got rich parents or do it part time). But, as I said, the best thing to do is simply to find universities with places still that you want to go to, call them up and ask. It should be fairly straightforward to sort out. If you contact Northumbria they may be able to change your offer at their end and save you the effort of having to fiddle around with UCAS.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Thank you for this valuable information!
Yes I was aware of how long the time it would take to study psychology, but I feel it would be very rewarding both personally and academically. I'm one of those people who likes to know about what they are getting into before they take that path.

Once again, thank you for your help!
Hi

You'll need to speak to the admissions teams at any universities you may be interested in studying at. They'll be able to assess your current qualifications and advise if you need any additional qualifications to be accepted onto a Psychology degree.

At Leeds, you can contact the Psychology Admissions team by email on: [email protected]

I hope that helps,

Amanda

Quick Reply

Latest