The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zürich
True, but then again Ashley Cole was a boyhood Arsenal fan from London who came through our own academy and ended up over at Chavski over £5k/week :rolleyes: Gareth Bale didn't really fancy hanging about at Spurs either! :laugh:

Not sure why people assume Chambers can play CB as well, he's never played a PL game in his life there and to me doesnt look like he has the outstanding physical traits that make a conversion obvious. 6'0 only, not particularly imposing so Wenger's taking a proper gamble here. Then again, as Luke Shaw has shown, these kinds of players can end up in the £30m price range before you know it so if Wenger fancies that he has the minerals, then it does make sense not to wait.

On the positive side, Southampton fans on twitter seem gutted to lose him but as people have said that's probably got alot to do with their summer generally.

And one thing everyone has said is that he's one of the most down to earth and professional youngsters around so Wenger probably knows he'll get real professionalism out of him. And all the best PL sides have those kind of English players who'll work like dogs and play with spirt. Gary Neville and Jamie Carragher were hardly blessed with talent and they did alright...

Also interesting to note that we have more English/British players than the other top sides these days. If you think about Arsenal around 2009 then we had Walcott only(and he was a squad player) so it's a big reversal these days.

Koscielny is 6ft1 , top defender. 4cm difference, negligible.
TV5 is the same height as Chambers. Not a bad defender.
(edited 9 years ago)
would have given my left arm for ginter. think he will play a filler role for BVB tbh, I don't see him displacing any 3 of Dortmunds CB yet and Bender/Gund dont look to be replaced, thats if Gund and Subotic both get back to full pace though. injuries could play their part again and he would see some consistent minutes but nothing like last season. 10m euros is a great price though and from his perspective fighting for a place against the players mentioned can only help his progress assuming he gets gametime too.

looked like he was always destined for BVB if he moved since the start of the window, heard there was some interest from us in that wenger sent some scouts over but not sure.
Original post by Tom_Ford
Koscielny is 6ft1 , top defender. 4cm difference, negligible.
TV5 is the same height as Chambers. Not a bad defender.

Yeah but with young CBs physical traits are often one of the few things you can bank on, since most of the rest comes with experience. If we were buying some Tony Adams or Sol Campbell twin then I'd be happier in that his lack of proven performances would be less of a concern and you'd say his traits were more obvious.

With Callum Chambers I havent a clue whether he's going to be dominated in the air or not for instance, and there's no way of knowing...because he's never actually played CB and is at that borderline height. I'm assuming he's shown good positional sense, tackling at RB but you never know how this will work out at CB. Think he probably needs to bulk up a bit just in looking at him, but he's still young. Phil Jones for instance was physically in better shape to play CB when Utd bought him I think.

Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest
would have given my left arm for ginter. think he will play a filler role for BVB tbh, I don't see him displacing any 3 of Dortmunds CB yet and Bender/Gund dont look to be replaced, thats if Gund and Subotic both get back to full pace though. injuries could play their part again and he would see some consistent minutes but nothing like last season. 10m euros is a great price though and from his perspective fighting for a place against the players mentioned can only help his progress assuming he gets gametime too.

looked like he was always destined for BVB if he moved since the start of the window, heard there was some interest from us in that wenger sent some scouts over but not sure.

Ginter's a full German international who's cut his teeth scrapping in the Bundesliga for 2 seasons with a relegation threatened side and hasn't put a foot wrong. If he was English then he'd be going for £35m probably.

Shame we didn't get him, but he rejected Bayern for BVB so we wouldnt have stood a chance really.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1803
Original post by little_tom
4/5 national journalists, not bad if you ask me

But then again 2 picked Smalling, 2 picked Flanagan, and all 5 picked Wilshere. Kinda shows they are a bit clueless and just going with the well-known names. They try to act knowledgeable by throwing in the occasional Darlow or Onomah, but really they've just heard these names around and have probably never even seen them play.

That said, I think Chambers is a good signing. He has just as much potential as Shaw who cost £10mil more, the only reason Chambers wasn't talked about as much is because he had Clyne to compete for a position with, whereas Shaw had nobody so was always in the team.

My concern for you is the same with Shaw at Man Utd. They aren't really ready yet to be first-choice at a top team. They're good players with great potential but with some glaring weaknesses in their game that could be exploited by a decent manager. Ideally you would have somebody older around who he could gradually take over from rather than him being thrown right in at the deep end. Should have tried to get another year or two out of Sagna really (unless you're still in for Debuchy too?). Jenkinson is average at best.

I just hope you don't jump on Chambers back after a couple of mistakes. Give him a chance to grow and he'll become soon become a vital part of your team.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
Yeah but with young CBs physical traits are often one of the few things you can bank on, since most of the rest comes with experience. If we were buying some Tony Adams or Sol Campbell twin then I'd be happier in that his lack of proven performances would be less of a concern and you'd say his traits were more obvious.

With Callum Chambers I havent a clue whether he's going to be dominated in the air or not for instance, and there's no way of knowing...because he's never actually played CB and is at that borderline height. I'm assuming he's shown good positional sense, tackling at RB but you never know how this will work out at CB. Think he probably needs to bulk up a bit just in looking at him, but he's still young. Phil Jones for instance was physically in better shape to play CB when Utd bought him I think.

I heard he reads the game very well for someone his age. If we can have a warrior like a Tony Adams next to him we'll be fine.
Reply 1805
Original post by Zürich
Also interesting to note that we have more English/British players than the other top sides these days. If you think about Arsenal around 2009 then we had Walcott only(and he was a squad player) so it's a big reversal these days.

Really? I highly doubt you have more than Liverpool, give me a list.
I heard he reads the game very well for someone his age. If we can have a warrior like a Tony Adams next to him we'll be fine.

That would be the dream alright, but those old school English CBs aren't really around any more in general. Per Mertesacker can play until he's 40 so we should be OK and by then he'll hopefully be speaking like Michael Caine anyway :laugh:

Original post by cBay
Really? I highly doubt you have more than Liverpool, give me a list.

Ramsey, Wilshere, Walcott, AOC, Gibbs, Chambers, Jenkinson. Liverpool probably have about the same but the likes of Gerrard, Johnson are on the way out so looking forward Arsenal probably have the stronger core of players who'll be together for a decade.
Even the likes of Szczesny has been around for that long he speaks and interacts like a London boy :wink:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by cBay

My concern for you is the same with Shaw at Man Utd. They aren't really ready yet to be first-choice at a top team. They're good players with great potential but with some glaring weaknesses in their game that could be exploited by a decent manager. Ideally you would have somebody older around who he could gradually take over from rather than him being thrown right in at the deep end. Should have tried to get another year or two out of Sagna really (unless you're still in for Debuchy too?). Jenkinson is average at best.

I just hope you don't jump on Chambers back after a couple of mistakes. Give him a chance to grow and he'll become soon become a vital part of your team.

Debuchy is already confirmed. We also know that Chambers isnt going to replace Vermaelen either and is an addition, Wenger has said he is one for the future and admits it is a gamble but he likes the fact he can play CM/RB/CB. Jenko will also probably go on loan unless Chambers is gonna be converted in to a CB straight off which is incredibly naive imo.
Reply 1808
Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest
Debuchy is already confirmed. We also know that Chambers isnt going to replace Vermaelen either and is an addition, Wenger has said he is one for the future and admits it is a gamble but he likes the fact he can play CM/RB/CB. Jenko will also probably go on loan unless Chambers is gonna be converted in to a CB straight off which is incredibly naive imo.

ah sorry my memory is awful, fair enough then, you've got that well covered.

I dunno, I can't see him being anything other than a RB from what I've seen. He has the characteristics to play other positions, but I'm sure RB is where he'll always be best and will be his final position.
Not too fussed about Di Maria, I don't think he is that good. He plays exceptionally well in patches, then at times looks so Nani.

I'd go for Khedira but it would have to be £130k per week tops. £150k is a bloody joke, he can **** off if he is asking for that still.

1 million a year is that big a deal to a club as rich as Arsenal?
Original post by phish food

It is the principle, we are not willing to be taken to ransom by the player.
It is the principle, we are not willing to be taken to ransom by the player.

Unless his name is Theo
Reply 1812
Unless his name is Theo

Theo was worth it

Posted from TSR Mobile

When you start paying Khedira £150k/week then youve opened Pandora's box when it comes to other players. Ramsey etc will rightfully expect £150k and then either the wage bill spirals long term, or the dressing room is unbalanced. Had a similar thing a few years back with certain players. Ended up with Bendtner on £52k/week somehow :angry:

Ramsey's on <£100k, Ozil's on £130k, Sanchez on something similar so not sure how Khedira reckons he's worth more than this?

Original post by AR_95
Theo was worth it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Walcott's going to want £140k next time round as well, although we're in a much stronger negotiating position now than last time...
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by cBay
ah sorry my memory is awful, fair enough then, you've got that well covered.

I dunno, I can't see him being anything other than a RB from what I've seen. He has the characteristics to play other positions, but I'm sure RB is where he'll always be best and will be his final position.

I've only ever seen him played there tbh, I wouldn't like to have him play in his other positions unless we have some form of an injury crisis really, not this season anyway. I think he has played CB for England youth and CM in his academy days but I don't think thats enough to warrant starting there for a top club(nice for 4th choice though), but Arsene and an England U21 (?) coach thinks he will play CB at some point and the latter thinks it may be his final position so idk.

It's also weird to see Arsene talking about transfers before they are officially confirmed.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by AR_95
Theo was worth it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Considering Khedira would solve possibly your biggest problem, he'd be worth it even more than Theo.
Reply 1816
Considering Khedira would solve possibly your biggest problem, he'd be worth it even more than Theo.

Walcott wanted 100k iirc which is much more reasonable then Khediras 150k who does not immediately solve our biggest problem

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1817
Original post by Zürich
When you start paying Khedira £150k/week then youve opened Pandora's box when it comes to other players. Ramsey etc will rightfully expect £150k and then either the wage bill spirals long term, or the dressing room is unbalanced. Had a similar thing a few years back with certain players. Ended up with Bendtner on £52k/week somehow :angry:

Ramsey's on <£100k, Ozil's on £130k, Sanchez on something similar so not sure how Khedira reckons he's worth more than this?

Walcott's going to want £140k next time round as well, although we're in a much stronger negotiating position now than last time...

I don't see him asking for more than what Ozil and Sanchez earns but he deserves to be payed the same amount IMO he is an invaluable player for us

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AR_95
Walcott wanted 100k iirc which is much more reasonable then Khediras 150k who does not immediately solve our biggest problem

Posted from TSR Mobile

How so?

Our biggest issue is the lack of a disciplined sitting midfielder. A physical presence would be great too, but it's the discipline we're lacking when we get done in big games. Khedira might be able to play that way, but for Germany/Real he's actually the guy getting bailed out by Schweinsteiger/Alonso when he's bombarding up the pitch and we already have a B2B player in Ramsey.

Ramsey and Khedira can probs play with each rotating defensive duties but I dont see Khedira as the obvious partner tbh. I'd still take him if the price was right though, he's top quality and we can find a way to make it work I think.
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest