The Student Room Group

How do your parents feel about you dating outside of your race?

Scroll to see replies

My parents have more of an issue with me dating outside my "class" than my race lol
Original post by Anonymous
What's your caste?

Suthar, although many of my cousins have married into other castes, so I guess it's pretty much a non-issue. In fact, one of my cousins has even married an Indian who's not Gujarati (she's Marathi), so I guess as long as I date an Indian, it's okay :smile:
Reply 122
My parents aren't backwards, they wouldn't care.
I don't think they'd want me to date at all, just get married to someone of their religion which is the main thing. I personally couldn't care less :smile:
Original post by thegodofgod
Suthar, although many of my cousins have married into other castes, so I guess it's pretty much a non-issue. In fact, one of my cousins has even married an Indian who's not Gujarati (she's Marathi), so I guess as long as I date an Indian, it's okay :smile:

What's the general Gujarati view on dating/marrying a Punjabi?
My family don't mind but my mother wants me to marry an Egyptian (like me) because we wouldn't have to worry about when to go to the other's country to see their family :rolleyes:
My parents would be happy if I dated; never mind outside my race.
Original post by facetious
What's the general Gujarati view on dating/marrying a Punjabi?

I'm not particularly sure to be honest haha!

They seem like a great bunch though, a close school friend is Punjabi and I'm living with Canadian Punjabis (uni friends, among others) next year :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
My parents want me to marry a Hindu (I'm a Hindu myself). Also, unless you're a Hindu, you may not know that Hindus are also sub-divided into different types, and I'm a 'Lohana', so my parents would like me to marry a Lohana boy. I want to marry a Lohana too - so it's a win win! :smile:

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Lohana part of the merchant class?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 129
The joys of Indian social system. Or not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Skin colour wouldn't matter to them, but if I dated a muslim regardless of skin colour(which I wouldn't) they would have serious issues with that.
My parents want me to date within my race, not that i care. It's my life, i'll do what i want.
I'm Arab (Libyan) so my parents want me to marry someone who's also Arab (preferably Libyan) and obviously a Muslim. There would be a lot of hassle if the guy wasn't Arab (i.e Pakistani/Afghan), although my parents would eventually be cool with it, I don't want to be in that position so I'd probably limit myself to Arabs.

My kids would be allowed to marry anyone as long as they're a Muslim.
Original post by moonriver96
My parents want me to date within my race, not that i care. It's my life, i'll do what i want.

Preach http://youtu.be/kJa2kwoZ2a4

Posted from TSR Mobile
The awkward moment when you're black and muslim haha thanks guys :frown: , personally I wouldn't care and I don't think my family would either as I have various religions and races in my family

Posted from TSR Mobile
crazy cat lady it is
haha
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jenkinsear
Skin colour wouldn't matter to them, but if I dated a muslim regardless of skin colour(which I wouldn't) they would have serious issues with that.

Why?

I've never even asked whether my parents would care, considering they never made anything of who I was friends with I would guess they would be okay with it.

Also my parents are well aware that if they don't respect me or my life decisions I'll be off and they wont ever see me again...
parents want their children to be happy. You are more likely to stay in a relationship if you share interests and values, that is why arranged marriages can work. If you date outside your race you are less likely to share interests and values, therefore your parents may feel uneasy and want to see that you share enough to have a permanent future.

I would be unhappy if my child dated someone who was muslim or Indian because of the way they treat their women and their reluctance to integrate with other cultures. If the individual didn't act in a misogynist way I'd feel better about them but I'd still be concerned about whether their relatives would be a problem. I wouldn't be pleased about an orthodox Jewish family for similar reasons. If my child dated someone from the same race I'd also be concerned about whether they shared enough to have a future together and want to see them demonstrate that but I'd assume that they'd have some values in common.

It is normal for a parent to be concerned about the person their child is dating and if they will make them happy, it is racisist if you are convinced they will make your child unhappy without meeting the person or knowing anything about them.
Original post by parentlurker
parents want their children to be happy. You are more likely to stay in a relationship if you share interests and values, that is why arranged marriages can work. If you date outside your race you are less likely to share interests and values, therefore your parents may feel uneasy and want to see that you share enough to have a permanent future.

...Really?
Reply 139
I'm Native American and we're all about preserving our culture and people. But we often mix here with whites and Latin Americans and blacks, sometimes Pacific Islanders. We just mix mainly because these groups like Native Americans and we just like everyone, sadly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending