The Student Room Group

Good progression options from Computer Science

What postgraduate degree would anyone recommend as a progression from computer science? not necessarily computer science related(i.e Advanced Computer Science) but something else but not too far off computing, i have been looking at MSc data science and MSc Information Management ? would anyone recommend these and are they marketable?
Original post by SuperChil14
What postgraduate degree would anyone recommend as a progression from computer science? not necessarily computer science related(i.e Advanced Computer Science) but something else but not too far off computing, i have been looking at MSc data science and MSc Information Management ? would anyone recommend these and are they marketable?

What are YOU interested in? You can go from CS to just about anything. Some people do a physical science because they are very interested in that, and end up with a career in scientific simulation, etc. Or finance, if you are interested in those applications of CS. Or some kind of management degree, if that's what you would rather be doing. They are obviously all marketable to different industry sectors. Where your interest lies is the most important thing.
Reply 2
Original post by ihavemooedtoday
What are YOU interested in? You can go from CS to just about anything. Some people do a physical science because they are very interested in that, and end up with a career in scientific simulation, etc. Or finance, if you are interested in those applications of CS. Or some kind of management degree, if that's what you would rather be doing. They are obviously all marketable to different industry sectors. Where your interest lies is the most important thing.

i am interested in some sort of management degree that has a computing element of some sort i.e the MSc Data Science i looked up but i do understand what you are saying just wanted find out what other CS graduates might have gone on to study and what management degree where marketable
i am interested in some sort of management degree that has a computing element of some sort i.e the MSc Data Science i looked up but i do understand what you are saying just wanted find out what other CS graduates might have gone on to study and what management degree where marketable

Ah I see.

Most CS graduates I know that want to go into management ended up doing MBA, but then of course that doesn't really have much to do with CS. Plenty of people also go into management without any management degree. It's unclear if an MBA really helps. Most managers I have worked with (lower level managers) do not have MBA. They all have purely technical backgrounds.

MBA MAY help if you want to go higher up in management (beyond technical management), but I would just start working now and then evaluate again once you get to technical management level (when you lead teams of say 20-30 people). I don't think there's much use for MBA below that level.

For getting to technical management level, an advanced CS degree is probably the most useful. To be a technical manager, you would really need to be more technically skilled than at least most of the team.

I know a lot of people that didn't do very well technically, and just decide to do MBA hoping to become a manager right away. I have never seen that happening in real life. No one hires people with MBA to manage technical teams that are more highly skilled than the manager. Technical managers are always chosen (at least at good companies) from the best of the technical teams.

So I would recommend sharpening your technical skills as much as you can, even if your end goal is to go into higher management.

I don't think Information Management is really what you are looking for. It's for managing information, not people.
Reply 4
Original post by ihavemooedtoday
Ah I see.

Most CS graduates I know that want to go into management ended up doing MBA, but then of course that doesn't really have much to do with CS. Plenty of people also go into management without any management degree. It's unclear if an MBA really helps. Most managers I have worked with (lower level managers) do not have MBA. They all have purely technical backgrounds.

MBA MAY help if you want to go higher up in management (beyond technical management), but I would just start working now and then evaluate again once you get to technical management level (when you lead teams of say 20-30 people). I don't think there's much use for MBA below that level.

For getting to technical management level, an advanced CS degree is probably the most useful. To be a technical manager, you would really need to be more technically skilled than at least most of the team.

I know a lot of people that didn't do very well technically, and just decide to do MBA hoping to become a manager right away. I have never seen that happening in real life. No one hires people with MBA to manage technical teams that are more highly skilled than the manager. Technical managers are always chosen (at least at good companies) from the best of the technical teams.

So I would recommend sharpening your technical skills as much as you can, even if your end goal is to go into higher management.

I don't think Information Management is really what you are looking for. It's for managing information, not people.

i See really good advice thank you. i never really considered an MBA that's too far off CS. i love CS just wanted something to broaden my prospects and not limit myself to careers linked to CS. other than that you have answered my questions thank you. I will most likely end up doing Data Science(at Heriot Watt) building on my technical skills.

Good Luck with Advanced Computing at Imperial
i See really good advice thank you. i never really considered an MBA that's too far off CS. i love CS just wanted something to broaden my prospects and not limit myself to careers linked to CS. other than that you have answered my questions thank you. I will most likely end up doing Data Science(at Heriot Watt) building on my technical skills.

Good Luck with Advanced Computing at Imperial

Thanks and you too :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending