The Student Room Group

Changed mind about UCAS choices very late on and want to go aboard

Both my firm and insurance are in Northern Ireland and recently I've decided and would have loved to have got the chance to go aboard, but realise this is basically impossible, as th courses I would want to do would be quite competitive (law or a good English course). Is there any possibility that I could Change course to one aboard through maybe clearing (not entirely sure how this works) or is this completely impossible due to accommodation and entry tests like HPAT etc?? Any help at all would be appreciated. Ps, I'm predicted three As at my A-Levels
Reply 1
What are you on now? Does the department you've firmed offer year abroad courses?

If it's something like Law then it may be a case of doing Law with European Law, or International Relations, or whatever similar type course. I can't actually remember what my first year flat mate was doing, but she was on Law which involved a year abroad (she spent a semester in Norway, and a semester in The Netherlands) for her third year.

If there is something, then i'd speak to the department directly as they might offer you the chance to switch when you enroll. They might not be able to guarantee anything though.
Original post by ho1996
Both my firm and insurance are in Northern Ireland and recently I've decided and would have loved to have got the chance to go aboard, but realise this is basically impossible, as th courses I would want to do would be quite competitive (law or a good English course). Is there any possibility that I could Change course to one aboard through maybe clearing (not entirely sure how this works) or is this completely impossible due to accommodation and entry tests like HPAT etc?? Any help at all would be appreciated. Ps, I'm predicted three As at my A-Levels

It's possible to apply through clearing but you do risk an enforced gap year. I'd check first if it is possible to go abroad as part of your course. Take a look here http://www.britishcouncil.org/erasmus.htm
Reply 3
Why not do an Erasmus exhange later on? :smile:
Reply 4
Whoops sorry, should have clarified - by abroad I meant just across the water as over to England, Scotland or Wales! I'm waiting my A-Level results and so I'm an undergraduate. Thank you for the help
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ho1996
Whoops sorry, should have clarified - by abroad I meant just across the water as over to England, Scotland or Wales! I'm waiting my A-Level results and so I'm an undergraduate. Thank you for the help

Either pull out of your firm and insurance this year to go into clearing, which is a very risky strategy given the two courses you mention, or pull out and take a gap year and make a properly targeted application. Those are pretty much your two options.
Reply 6
Original post by ho1996

Basically what carnationlilyrose said, but also if you exceed your firm offer you could always try adjustment which is likely to be less risky than clearing.
Original post by smile:D
Basically what carnationlilyrose said, but also if you exceed your firm offer you could always try adjustment which is likely to be less risky than clearing.

Good point. The courses OP suggests aren't very likely to have adjustment spaces in them, I'd guess, but it's certainly a no risk strategy.
Reply 8
Yes I agree, clearing would be too risky. (Although not likely), say I exceed my firm choice and get higher than I had expected, then do you have any idea how that works?
Original post by ho1996
Yes I agree, clearing would be too risky. (Although not likely), say I exceed my firm choice and get higher than I had expected, then do you have any idea how that works?

On Results day, if you match and exceed your firm offer, E.g Getting AAA instead of the offer of ABB Then you can enter Adjustment.

You click a button and then you have 5 days to call up other unis and ask if they want to take you.

You have to be careful when talking to them since when you accept to go there they will be able to go online and accept you onto their course and you can't then change your mind. You need to be clear if it's just an inquiry call or whether you definitely want to go there.

I'd recommend researching places now. Maybe calling them to see if they're likely to be in Adjustment as well.

Adjustment is like a "no risk clearing" basically. If after 5 days you can't find another place you like more you go to your default university choice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending