The Student Room Group

How do your parents feel about you dating outside of your race?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thechemistress
Yep. Sucks to be black xD

Sucks to be racist

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xoflower
My parents don't care. (I'm black Nigerian).

lol my dad said once, ''don't ever think of bringing an indian into this house'' - haha, good things indians don't like black girls.

Indians rarely marry outside their own immediate culture.Because Indians also believe in "preserving" the bloodline. In India we don't even marry outside our caste or state or class.
I'm shocked at how many peoples parents regard this as an issue.
My parents dont care as long as the person is a christian :biggrin:. Asian Christians girls holler at me

Posted from TSR Mobile
They don't care. Currently in a relationship with a Mauritian Hindu, my family are all Sikhs.

They would care if I dated a Muslim though.
Original post by uekp6956
Sucks to be racist

Posted from TSR Mobile

What? How am I racist?

I was joking by saying that it sucks to be a black person, as I am, because apparently nobody wants to date us.

Are you on drugs?
Couldn't give a monkeys
Original post by Mr Smurf
They would prefer me dating someone of the same race but that isn't happening since I only like white girls. They wouldn't mind if I did date outside of my race though but white girls aren't into Oriental guys. :frown:

it kind funny because i have seen many posts from you moaning about white girls not liking oriental/east asian guys, it's strange you as an oriental guy only like white girls, why is that? also if you are not a attractive oriental guy then you shouldn't be surprised.
What? How am I racist?

I was joking by saying that it sucks to be a black person, as I am, because apparently nobody wants to date us.

Are you on drugs?

haha that's why you say it sucks to be black just because other races don't want to date you? that's your own fault if that's why your bitter since you don't have to be bitter because of that.

do you specifically want a non-black guy?
Original post by slade p
haha that's why you say it sucks to be black just because other races don't want to date you? that's your own fault if that's why your bitter since you don't have to be bitter because of that.

do you specifically want a non-black guy?

I was joking?
Also, I did say 'apparently'. It's not been like that in my experience.
Original post by mojojojo101
Why?

I've never even asked whether my parents would care, considering they never made anything of who I was friends with I would guess they would be okay with it.

Also my parents are well aware that if they don't respect me or my life decisions I'll be off and they wont ever see me again...

Difference in values. They feel (and I generally agree with them) that whilst hindus, sikhs, jews, jains and buddhists sometimes have different values, they are inherently compatible with our own but the same doesn't really apply to muslims.
Original post by Batchosama
Indians rarely marry outside their own immediate culture.Because Indians also believe in "preserving" the bloodline. In India we don't even marry outside our caste or state or class.

I'm Indian and think that's just stupid. "Preserving the bloodline" is basically just inbreeding, and leads to more chance of homozygosity in children.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 172
Ha ha banished from the family...
My parents really don't care, but they are aware (as I am) that sometimes interracial marriages can be more difficult because of cultural differences. Religion is a different thing, my mother is quite eager for me to marry a Christian as my father wasn't so she knows how difficult it can be.

I am a British Christian currently in a relationship with a Pakistani Muslim.
Yep. Sucks to be black xD

Hahah I get hit on by almost every race, for the most part white guys because I live in Norway so there not that many people of color here. so I don't see a problem with begin black :P
Reply 175
Original post by Leegobson
Come marry me young lady...your beautiful comment has swept me off my feet tbh.

u would have to take me out first :P haha I am just sick of intolerant people, who are clouded by there parents views.
My mum doesn't really care, I think she'd actually prefer someone from a different race than someone from the same race as me but from Nigeria or something although even with that she doesn't really care. The only thing she'd be iffy about is if I brought home a Muslim guy.
Original post by parentlurker
parents want their children to be happy. You are more likely to stay in a relationship if you share interests and values, that is why arranged marriages can work. If you date outside your race you are less likely to share interests and values, therefore your parents may feel uneasy and want to see that you share enough to have a permanent future.

I would be unhappy if my child dated someone who was muslim or Indian because of the way they treat their women and their reluctance to integrate with other cultures. If the individual didn't act in a misogynist way I'd feel better about them but I'd still be concerned about whether their relatives would be a problem. I wouldn't be pleased about an orthodox Jewish family for similar reasons. If my child dated someone from the same race I'd also be concerned about whether they shared enough to have a future together and want to see them demonstrate that but I'd assume that they'd have some values in common.

It is normal for a parent to be concerned about the person their child is dating and if they will make them happy, it is racisist if you are convinced they will make your child unhappy without meeting the person or knowing anything about them.

Does that go for friendship as well? Are you unhappy if your child was friends with someone from a different race?

I'm actually very offended by the first statement in the second paragraph. I am both Indian and Muslim and I treat my girlfriend with the utmost respect. When ever I go over to her flat I cook, clean and leave it in a better state than I entered, if she is ill I will drop what I am doing and help her recover, if she is unhappy I do everything I can to make her smile. I think I integrate extremely well with other cultures, I make an effort to learn about different cultures and languages. It's ridiculous to think just because someone is of a different race they have different interests and values.
Original post by Anonymous
Hahah I get hit on by almost every race, for the most part white guys because I live in Norway so there not that many people of color here. so I don't see a problem with begin black :P

I'm black. I was joking. How is this so impossibly hard for people to understand?
Different family members want different things. My dad, gran and uncle all want me to marry a black guy. They'd probably be furious if a dated a white guy.

My mum doesn't give a toss, which is lovely. She says I'm free to date whoever I want, as long as I'm happy. She'd prefer it if I dated a religious dude (Christian preferably, but if I ever wanted to go for a Muslim, a Jew etc. then she'd be down with that), but doesn't mind if I go for an atheist either.
And since my mum's opinion is the one I value most, I'm glad she's so open-minded. It makes my life a hell of a lot easier.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending