The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zürich
Our biggest issue is the lack of a disciplined sitting midfielder. A physical presence would be great too, but it's the discipline we're lacking when we get done in big games. Khedira might be able to play that way, but for Germany/Real he's actually the guy getting bailed out by Schweinsteiger/Alonso when he's bombarding up the pitch and we already have a B2B player in Ramsey.

Ramsey and Khedira can probs play with each rotating defensive duties but I dont see Khedira as the obvious partner tbh. I'd still take him if the price was right though, he's top quality and we can find a way to make it work I think.

What better options are there?
Original post by phish food
What better options are there?

None which are immediately obvious to me at least. Schneiderlin gets lots of talk these days but I think he's a player people project onto and he's become all things to all men. A midfielder with the discipline of Gilberto Silva, physicality of Vieira and passing ability to boot! I would take him, but with Southampton sitting on £100m now we're going to have to overpay, and since disciplined sitting players arent particularly rare I'm sure we can find someone just as good. Schnedierlin is a Schweinsteiger type of CM in that he does stick to his task well and do the unspectacular work so he's indicative of what the club needs probably. Not for the £30m Soton will demand though.

Lars Bender has been a long term target for Wenger and he's really what we need but he's committed to Leverkusen.

Italy and France always seem to have plenty of these types around as well, I genuinely believe we could find one from either league for about £10m...De Rossi?

As I say, you dont need to be world class to do a fantastic job at DM, as Gilberto Silva showed for us, and so Khedira who isnt even a proper DM at £150k is more money for an imperfect player really, even if he is world clas.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
None which are immediately obvious to me at least. Schneiderlin gets lots of talk these days but I think he's a player people project onto and he's become all things to all men. A midfielder with the discipline of Gilberto Silva, physicality of Vieira and passing ability to boot! I would take him, but with Southampton sitting on £100m now we're going to have to overpay, and since disciplined sitting players arent particularly rare I'm sure we can find someone just as good. Schnedierlin is a Schweinsteiger type of CM in that he does stick to his task well and do the unspectacular work so he's indicative of what the club needs probably. Not for the £30m Soton will demand though.

Lars Bender has been a long term target for Wenger and he's really what we need but he's committed to Leverkusen.

Italy and France always seem to have plenty of these types around as well, I genuinely believe we could find one from either league for about £10m...De Rossi?

As I say, you dont need to be world class to do a fantastic job at DM, as Gilberto Silva showed for us, and so Khedira who isnt even a proper DM at £150k is more money for an imperfect player really, even if he is world clas.

Someone like a Matic would be perfect for us. I think Carvalho fits the bill well but he is with Mendes so I am not so sure that he would stick around for long if he has a good season or two.
Original post by Zürich

De Rossi isn't leaving Roma, he's on a nice contract and they almost won the league last season, they have a decent chance of winning the league this season as Conte has left. Reckon the club will go into David Moyes mode personally.

Personally Matic would have been perfect for you guys, don't see the need to spend 30M on a DM though. There are players available though, I can't think of many but you see in the CL/europa a team getting raided by a player and just realising that's the player you need.
Original post by Zürich

Trying to sign De Rossi would be like trying to sign prime Gerrard from Liverpool or Giggs/Scholes from United. Absolutely no chance, he's Roma through and through.
Ospina will replace Ches by January.
Jenkinson being sold for £3m to Hull apparently, gutted really. What is the point in selling him?
Reply 1827
Ospina will wear number 13
Original post by Tom_Ford
Jenkinson being sold for £3m to Hull apparently, gutted really. What is the point in selling him?

he was nothing special. get over it mate.
Original post by Basiji
he was nothing special. get over it mate.

We don't need the £3m, it's not like we need to sell... Pointless sell.
Reply 1830
We don't need the £3m, it's not like we need to sell... Pointless sell.

I agree ... Feel we should loan
Getting somebody better in Chambers and you have debuchy. Don't see the problem personally.

Should have just given Sagna a better contract tbh.
Original post by Zürich
Our biggest issue is the lack of a disciplined sitting midfielder. A physical presence would be great too, but it's the discipline we're lacking when we get done in big games. Khedira might be able to play that way, but for Germany/Real he's actually the guy getting bailed out by Schweinsteiger/Alonso when he's bombarding up the pitch and we already have a B2B player in Ramsey. Ramsey and Khedira can probs play with each rotating defensive duties but I dont see Khedira as the obvious partner tbh. I'd still take him if the price was right though, he's top quality and we can find a way to make it work I think.
He isn't 'top quality' at all...
Original post by jam278
Getting somebody better in Chambers and you have debuchy. Don't see the problem personally.

Nah was never a huge fan of Sagna. Attacking wise could have offered more.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Thugnificent.
Ospina will replace Ches by January.

I think before.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jam278

It was Sagna's time to leave really.
Original post by Richard Head
He isn't 'top quality' at all...

Did he bribe Lowe to start in Brazil then?
Original post by Stalin
Did he bribe Lowe to start in Brazil then?

Just watch, as soon as Khedira signs for another team he'll suddenly be a great player. :lol: Pathetic bias really.
Just watch, as soon as Khedira signs for another team he'll suddenly be a great player. :lol: Pathetic bias really.

He's just won the CL and the World Cup.

Jealous much?
Original post by qwerty_mad
Nah was never a huge fan of Sagna. Attacking wise could have offered more.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Attacking wise Sagna did well last season. He was very good with his crossing. Plus I was looking at it from a financial point of view, it makes more sense to keep Sagna and have Callum Chambers as the long term RB.

It was Sagna's time to leave really.

It makes no sense to pay so much for Debuchy personally when he's only going to offer a few years

Latest