The Student Room Group

Ruined my chances?

Are my chances of applying to LSE or Cambridge ruined for economics gcse grades are: AABBBBCDDD

Physics, Biology, Maths, Statistic, english lang, english lit, chemistry, history, geography and french respectively.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You're not going to get 100% in your exams so forget that pipe dream right now. Your GCSEs aren't great and you know that. Cambridge is going to see your UMS so you have do well there. You also have to sell yourself in other areas. You're more than a set of exam grades so sell your intangibles. If you have none get some. I think referees talk about any extenuating circumstances so tell them about the stress issue and evidence it.

You know most candidates will have you crushed on GCSEs so you have to win on other aspects. I have a feeling LSE really values GCSEs but I'm not sure so that hill may well be insurmountable. Your GCSEs are a hole, all you can do is do your utmost to dig yourself out and achieve your goals.
Reply 2
Yh its just really upsetting that I wont be able to get into Economics at one of these universities or that it is really unlikely.
If you get your AS ums to the mid nineties you can probably get an interview at cambridge. however, you'll most likely be rejected anyway as they typically reject much stronger candidates

Even if your gcses were good you'd probably get rejected from lse as it's pretty much hit or miss

econ at warwick or ucl should be fine though
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Acrux
Are my chances of applying to LSE or Cambridge ruined for economics gcse grades are: AABBBBCDDD

Physics, Biology, Maths, Statistic, english lang, english lit, chemistry, history, geography and french respectively.

I have already started working on alevels and plan on getting near to 100% i have really let myself down and feel really depressed that I have failed myself. I want to get 100% in all 4 alevels which are Maths, Physics, chemistry and Economics.

During my exams i could cope with the stress and had to visit my General Practioner as I had neck/spinal pain.

Forget about it, seriously what makes you think you can do well in A levels with those GCSEs......

Confidence is one thing but arrogance is another

Those who get high UMS in A levels typically put in minimal efforts in GCSEs and get straight A*/A

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Med_medine
Forget about it, seriously what makes you think you can do well in A levels with those GCSEs......

Those who get high UMS in A levels typically put in minimal efforts in GCSEs and get straight A*/A

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yh will do. Might just lay down somewhere.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Acrux
Yh will do. Might just lay down somewhere.

Probably your best bet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

there was a guy on TSR who got a B at GCSE math but still got a Cambridge math interview.

getting some bad grades doesn't mean you're condemned to academic failure for the rest of your natural life
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Table dust
there was a guy on TSR who got a B at GCSE math but still got a Cambridge math interview

I think it's fair to say that what is said on TSR may not always be the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.
there was a guy on TSR who got a B at GCSE math but still got a Cambridge math interview.

getting some bad grades doesn't mean you're condemned to academic failure for the rest of your natural life

Cambridge interviews 80 to 90% of applicants, a B in math and 13 other A*s would still secure an interview any day

Further more Cambridge is unique as they focus on AS UMS in most relevant 3 subjects so he may have done well in that

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10

Would it better to apply to another degree Maths or Physics with my grades.
Original post by Acrux

No. If you can't get an A* at GCSE in maths you won't cope with either a maths or a physics degree.
Reply 12
Original post by SmallTownGirl
No. If you can't get an A* at GCSE in maths you won't cope with either a maths or a physics degree.

:biggrin:
I have tidied this thread. Please can we avoid this turning to bickering and personal comments and keep things friendly.

Neostigmine
Original post by carnationlilyrose
I think it's fair to say that what is said on TSR may not always be the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

He used to post in the STEP threads so I have confidence he wasn't trying to deceive the TSR community for 1 entire year
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Acrux

Its way too early to be thinking about this, you have only just done your GCSEs, the time to be thinking about this is when you have your AS level results. By then you will know what you want to do (so many people change between GCSE and A level anyway), and you will have a set of AS UMS marks which will be a far better proxy for your aptitude than GCSES. For now, concentrate on A levels and do well in every module.

Out of interest though, is there any reason you performed this way in GCSE?
Reply 16
Original post by QuantumOverlord
Its way too early to be thinking about this, you have only just done your GCSEs, the time to be thinking about this is when you have your AS level results. By then you will know what you want to do (so many people change between GCSE and A level anyway), and you will have a set of AS UMS marks which will be a far better proxy for your aptitude than GCSES. For now, concentrate on A levels and do well in every module.

Out of interest though, is there any reason you performed this way in GCSE?

Mainly stress and had spinal pain during the initial exam weeks. Didn't bother telling teachers doctor gave me a jel and that was all saying it was because of stress however i was unable to revise as thoroughly of course it wasnt all to blame but it played a significant part.
Original post by Acrux
Mainly stress and had spinal pain during the initial exam weeks. Didn't bother telling teachers doctor gave me a jel and that was all saying it was because of stress however i was unable to revise as thoroughly of course it wasnt all to blame but it played a significant part.

Well this is certainly something that should go on your reference (I wouldn't put it on your PS you don't have the room) and the additional ps you have to send to Cam if you choose. But more importantly, is the situation resolved such that it won't happen next year, and do you think you significantly under-performed because of this, and will consequently do significantly better next year just because it is resolved?
Original post by Wattsy
You're not going to get 100% in your exams so forget that pipe dream right now. Your GCSEs aren't great and you know that. Cambridge is going to see your UMS so you have do well there. You also have to sell yourself in other areas. You're more than a set of exam grades so sell your intangibles. If you have none get some. I think referees talk about any extenuating circumstances so tell them about the stress issue and evidence it.

You know most candidates will have you crushed on GCSEs so you have to win on other aspects. I have a feeling LSE really values GCSEs but I'm not sure so that hill may well be insurmountable. Your GCSEs are a hole, all you can do is do your utmost to dig yourself out and achieve your goals.

Wattsy has given you the best reply on this thread! 100% or even 90% in any exam is tough to obtain but with hard work, it is possible to achieve grades close to these boundaries. Especially, now that you have experienced a 'slip up', identity and learn from your mistakes. CAM do request for UMS marks (they call it an SAQ) which is definitely a positive in this case (depending if you get +90% UMS). They do take note of students who dramatically improve from GCSEs to A-Levels (they mention this on their website, read!).

Yes, you have to be realistic but that does not mean you cannot aim high or apply to such places. You will be competing with A* applicants (obviously) so your GCSEs will hinder you. But like Wattsy mentioned it is about the overall application. CAM do mention on their website that they, 'assess all applicants individually' (again read!)

All the information is out there, e-mail the admission officers, book an open day etc. These are better sources of information than TSR. As you can from some of the posts below is full of very helpful, considering people :dry:. Take everything mentioned (esp negative) on TSR with a pinch of salt.

Original post by Jooooshy
x

Jooooshy seriously!? Please try and refrain from making such ill-mannered posts unless it is of benefit to the OP. Looking at your profile, you have done very well (good for you!). But do remember that not everyone has it easy and that some posts on TSR are looking for genuine advice which may be down to actual issues.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Please remove yourself from TSR.

"Confidence is one thing but arrogance is another" - totally misplaced quote.

"Those who get high UMS in A levels typically put in minimal efforts in GCSEs and get straight A*/A" - I'm sorry but where did you get this information from? No point in me even challenging such a false statement.

Acrux if you go onto this persons profile stats you can clearly see they have no intent of providing anything useful for educational threads. Seems like they are more interested in fake boobs and rating guys threads.

Original post by SmallTownGirl

Again how do you know this? Yes I agree that GCSEs do provide an indication of performance in a certain field or subject but this is not always the case.
One of my mates achieved B at Maths GCSE but went on to achieve A* at A-level maths. Another boy A* Maths GCSE but only A at A-level.
In fact my 6th Form tutor achieved a B grade at GCSE maths but then went on to obtain a 1st class in Maths.
The point I'm making is that there is no definite answer like "NO". So please do not make such comments which have no basis.
(edited 9 years ago)

Very true.

+1 Table dust.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending