The Student Room Group
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth

****Ask a second year Portsmouth student anything******

Scroll to see replies

Original post by portsmouthlaw93
Just finished my first year, and lived in halls. Feel free to ask any questions about the Uni, accommodation, the city in general. I know I had lots of questions when I first started that felt too silly to ask, so feel free to post questions big and small here. :smile:

Hi,
How did you find freshers/induction week? Any advice on how to make the most of it? :smile:
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth
Original post by 447inthemorning
Hi,
How did you find freshers/induction week? Any advice on how to make the most of it? :smile:

Some of it was useful whereas other bits not so much. Getting your timetable is obviously very useful but being introduced to academic staff you won't meet til year 3? Either way you'll have the opportunity to ask any questions that haven't been covered. Freshers fayre - go on the first day if you can as there are stalls with free stuff which is gone by day 2. There is also a marquee selling poster art so have some cash on you. I can't really advise on clubbing and the like as it's not really my thing (more of a pubs/gigs type of girl) but there will be people all over the place handing you flyers for events.
Freshers will also give you a chance to have a look at societies you may want to join. You don't have to decide there and then as most have online sign up.
Read your uni and course handbook. People on my course didn't and then got shocked by certain rules etc this year which have impacted their grades.

Any specific questions? There's probably loads I could tell you but trying to recall it in the abstract is proving tricky. :smile:
Original post by Medici103
Some of it was useful whereas other bits not so much. Getting your timetable is obviously very useful but being introduced to academic staff you won't meet til year 3? Either way you'll have the opportunity to ask any questions that haven't been covered. Freshers fayre - go on the first day if you can as there are stalls with free stuff which is gone by day 2. There is also a marquee selling poster art so have some cash on you. I can't really advise on clubbing and the like as it's not really my thing (more of a pubs/gigs type of girl) but there will be people all over the place handing you flyers for events.
Freshers will also give you a chance to have a look at societies you may want to join. You don't have to decide there and then as most have online sign up.
Read your uni and course handbook. People on my course didn't and then got shocked by certain rules etc this year which have impacted their grades.

Any specific questions? There's probably loads I could tell you but trying to recall it in the abstract is proving tricky. :smile:

Haha sorry, my question was pretty general :') I'm similar in that I prefer pubs and gigs to clubbing. I'm a bit worried that most events will be based around drinking and clubbing, what was your experience of that?
Awesome, which societies did you join? :smile: Also, I see you lived in Burrell House. I'm going to be in Rees Hall, what did you make of the meal choices? Thanks for replying :smile:
Original post by 447inthemorning
Haha sorry, my question was pretty general :') I'm similar in that I prefer pubs and gigs to clubbing. I'm a bit worried that most events will be based around drinking and clubbing, what was your experience of that?
Awesome, which societies did you join? :smile: Also, I see you lived in Burrell House. I'm going to be in Rees Hall, what did you make of the meal choices? Thanks for replying :smile:

I didn't live in halls. Think you may have me confused with someone else! Not all events are based around drinking or clubbing; there really is something for everyone. I joined the music society and the medical and dental society - that makes me sound like a proper nerd! This year - who knows, I may take up belly dancing or fencing! I'll have less lecture time (3rd year) but then I have my dissertation to fill my days *sigh*
Original post by Medici103
I didn't live in halls. Think you may have me confused with someone else! Not all events are based around drinking or clubbing; there really is something for everyone. I joined the music society and the medical and dental society - that makes me sound like a proper nerd! This year - who knows, I may take up belly dancing or fencing! I'll have less lecture time (3rd year) but then I have my dissertation to fill my days *sigh*

Oops, I've just read that back and it looks as though I have!:colondollar: That's reassuring to hear though :smile: Haha, not all all... there seems to be quite a variety of societies so, why not! Aw I see, hang in there :biggrin:
I graduated last year (wahhh) and lived in James Watson halls for my first year- they are the most expensive but the location was amazing and i liked having an en-suite. However, except for Langstone which are further out all of the rest are close to town and lectures as well! All halls are as social as the people in them, so don't worry about being assigned somewhere you think might be a bit rubbish- if you make the effort you will have an amazing time!

During freshers fayre sports teams will have leaflets advertising taster sessions for their sports, worth a go if you are keen to get involved but not sure what sport you fancy. Being part of the AU will enhance your experience ten fold even if you are not particularly sporty. Remember there are clubs etc outside of uni as well, even the Royal Navy reserves which can give you a unique experience!
Hi guys, I have been given an offer for Langstone flats but was really hoping for any of the Guildhall ones. I rang the uni up and they said there might be a room available in Burrell house. I feel as though Langstone flats are a bit isolated from the buzz of the city and the uni itself and I know you get a free bus pass for the uni bus service but Im not sure whether I will be up for travelling to uni everyday rather than just taking a few minutes walk to uni. Also I like the idea that Burrell house is catered which means I won't have to worry too much about food shopping so thats one less thing on my budget however I am not too keen on the shared showers and toilets though. What is it like to live in Burrell house and how easy is it to make friends there? what do the rooms look like? and do you know anything about living in Langstone?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TheUltimateNerd
Hi guys, I have been given an offer for Langstone flats but was really hoping for any of the Guildhall ones. I rang the uni up and they said there might be a room available in Burrell house. I feel as though Langstone flats are a bit isolated from the buzz of the city and the uni itself and I know you get a free bus pass for the uni bus service but Im not sure whether I will be up for travelling to uni everyday rather than just taking a few minutes walk to uni. Also I like the idea that Burrell house is catered which means I won't have to worry too much about food shopping so thats one less thing on my budget however I am not too keen on the shared showers and toilets though. What is it like to live in Burrell house and how easy is it to make friends there? what do the rooms look like? and do you know anything about living in Langstone?

Hello, quite a few of my friends lived in Langstone. The location is beautiful, its out of the city next to the outdoor water centre so you have good views- you also get a real sense of community there as as it is more isolated people tend to create their own entertainment a bit more rather than go back and forth to town all the time. You do get a free bus bass but being very honest the bus is grim, it does the job but it always crowded and smells haha. The people who missed most lectures on my course were those at Langstone, its surprising how that journey can get teedious after a while. The bus also stops running quite early so if you are pulling a late one at the library or heading out then you would need to pay for a taxi, its not loads between a few of you but it does add up. I personally would go for Burrell, a shared bathroom etc is absolutely fine, i had an ensuite but in many ways it was more trouble than it was worth :P
Original post by Shefflibs
Hello, quite a few of my friends lived in Langstone. The location is beautiful, its out of the city next to the outdoor water centre so you have good views- you also get a real sense of community there as as it is more isolated people tend to create their own entertainment a bit more rather than go back and forth to town all the time. You do get a free bus bass but being very honest the bus is grim, it does the job but it always crowded and smells haha. The people who missed most lectures on my course were those at Langstone, its surprising how that journey can get teedious after a while. The bus also stops running quite early so if you are pulling a late one at the library or heading out then you would need to pay for a taxi, its not loads between a few of you but it does add up. I personally would go for Burrell, a shared bathroom etc is absolutely fine, i had an ensuite but in many ways it was more trouble than it was worth :P

Thank you so much for your response it has enlightened me. My instinct is telling me to go for Burrell so I will take the chance :tongue:
I have accepted the Burrell House offer, I just hope i've made the right decision
Original post by iJoyce
Hi Ross, I am going to study Criminology and criminal justice too this September, first year. Could you give me all the advices you can have about this course? Also I was thinking about changing my current choice, criminology and cj to criminology and sociology, so I can have 50/50. Any advices? Thank you

Sorry for the late response, I rarely come on here.

About changing course, it's all about what you're going to aim for as a career path. The Criminology units are already very similar to sociology as they borrow key theorists such as Durkheim, Marx and Weber. The only difference is it's focused crime but also the impact institutions have on offending behaviour. It's up to you but personally I would stick with your course as you will get a better understanding on how Britain's Criminal Justice system works. This will be handy to know if you are aiming for jobs in policing, probation or any other roles in the judicial system.

As for general advice, don't stress about first year. They will normally give you suggested reading list for the year within the first week as well as some of their expectations. I also wouldn't worry about buying books. They usual have many spare copies on key theory books in the library. The first year is pretty easy and similar to A-level in some units.

Lastly I would recommend looking at volunteer jobs relating to your career path. You'll hear this a lot during the first few months as waiting lists and application processes can take a long time. Though saying that, don't rush into anything. Once you feel comfortable and settled in, look into different volunteer jobs at Purple Door (Student Volunteer agency) and start there.

First year doesn't count so focus more on meeting people, having fun and trying to new things.
Original post by TheUltimateNerd
I have accepted the Burrell House offer, I just hope i've made the right decision

Over Langstone i would say yep definitely the right choice :smile: Burrell halls are a really good location and you will have a fantastic year, im jealous :biggrin:
Reply 32
Original post by portsmouthlaw93
Just finished my first year, and lived in halls. Feel free to ask any questions about the Uni, accommodation, the city in general. I know I had lots of questions when I first started that felt too silly to ask, so feel free to post questions big and small here. :smile:

What subject are you taking? How are the teachers?
Hi there, i have an offer from Plymouth and Southampton to study photography. I don't know which one to choose!? I prefer plymouth because of the great location for e.g. the beach:biggrin: The city looks better and the nightlife looks like it will be good aswell, please let me know what it is like? Also the rooms look nicer than bigger than southampton :/

Thankyou:smile:
Reply 34
Hiya,
Did you know anyone that didn't get accepted into halls in their first year? as i received a letter and email saying there was no space left however i thought first years were guaranteed a place in halls!? will i be able to stay in halls or do you think ill have to go private or sharing a flat?
Thanks
Original post by ariana51
Hiya,
Did you know anyone that didn't get accepted into halls in their first year? as i received a letter and email saying there was no space left however i thought first years were guaranteed a place in halls!? will i be able to stay in halls or do you think ill have to go private or sharing a flat?
Thanks

First years aren't guaranteed a place if you don't meet their deadline. Something like that anyway, but not necissarily guaranteed a place no. If they said there is no space then it's best to look for other student accomodation.

This facebook group is run by people who work for the university and should help sort you out.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/uniportstudenthousing/?fref=ts
Original post by cazza1
Hey I'm moving to Portsmouth Uni in September to start in the second year of a computing degree.
Do you know of any good societies and sports to join to try and meet people?
Thanks =]

There's a computing society :smile:
Reply 37
Original post by StatusRed
There's a computing society :smile:

Ah that sounds awesome :smile:
do you know much about it ?
Original post by cazza1
Ah that sounds awesome :smile:
do you know much about it ?

Erm.. Technically I'm a member of it although I never actually went to any of the meetings last year. But I'm looking to attend next year :smile:
Reply 39
Original post by StatusRed
Erm.. Technically I'm a member of it although I never actually went to any of the meetings last year. But I'm looking to attend next year :smile:

Lol I guess I'll see you there then :smile: What course do you do?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending