The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SHOO
And his height. His heigh offers a lot too! Apart from merta, we don't really have a tall defence so we should improve on the set-piece front too

He's only 6'0 tbf but Ive read that he's very good in the air!

From watching the youtube videos of him(I know...) he actually looked pretty awkward at RB and looked more comfortable when he was simply defending. I think Wenger will use him as a utility defender until he either takes over from Debuchy or takes over from Koscielny.

It's good to have these English defenders around, you get a good shift out of them usually. Certainly would fancy Chambers to keep it together over the likes of Santos, Gallas etc :laugh:

Original post by Peggles_*
Chambers confirmed, undisclosed fee.

Meanwhile, SSN are saying we've accepted a £3m bid from Hull for Jenkinson.

Gutted if he does leave. Even if he didnt make it I did hope he would hang about for a decade as a squad player and become a real cult figure.

He's worth more than £3m as well given his Englishness, definitely got an outside chance of becoming a very good RB.
(edited 9 years ago)
Let's say debuchy is on 60k and sagna wanted 130k. That's 10,920,000 difference over 3 years. So given that those 3 years would be age 28-31 for debuchy and 31-34 for sagna, the deal would make sense.

I know that's guesswork but it just shows that there's no huge difference, debuchy is younger though and not demanding things that he isnt worth.
Original post by Tom_Ford
City have been splashing out on squad depth for years and years with virtually unlimited bankroll backed by oil blokes in dishdasha. Unfair squad comparison.

As for the RB situation, we got a younger player in Chambers to cover that role. We decided we wanted two players bought there evidently because they don't feel Jenkinson is good enough long term. Coleman signed a new deal with Everton because he likes it there, we offered him £60k a week but he wanted to stay at Everton because he likes it there.
Aurier, Wenger obviously thought Debuchy was the better option. We were in advanced talks with him and he was even wearing an Arsenal shirt....
Montoya... not sure if srs, he is not so good.
So if that is lazy then yeah... we spent quite a bit of money but Wenger obviously felt Debuchy and Chambers were the best choices from all those we considered and could get.

Not comparing you guys to City.

I'm sure if you went HAM and offered Coleman 100k he'd have stayed.

I reckon he went for Debuchy as he was looking at Chambers, Aurier would stunt Chambers development but Debuchy would not. That's most probably why. There's also the fact he's English, so would cost a premium if he's sold in his prime and he'd be more likely to stay at Arsenal than say Ozil or Sanchez.

Montoya as well as Chambers would have been sufficient RB depth. He was originally starting for the U21s over Azpilicueta. Although one has been getting regular football while Montoya hasn't, he has Dani Alves to contend with.
happy with the signing, RB seems covered for years now - an established player + A promising youngster who is flexible with other positions.. great.

Still wont be a good window until they adress CDM though.. but wenger seems on that..

Still wont be a great windown until they adress ST - but I doubt that will happen (and not many options anyway..)
I can't actually work out when Jam is trolling or not. That is the annoying thing. He's one of those.
Original post by Stalin
He's just won the CL and the World Cup.

Jealous much?

That's not what he meant though.

As in, any player that comes to Arsenal will be considered 'overrated' or 'not that good anyway' by the media and other fans just cos they decided to come to us. It's the standard mantra really. I mean Messi could sign for us tomorrow and the same thing will be said. It is what it is.
I can't actually work out when Jam is trolling or not. That is the annoying thing. He's one of those.

He's not a troll, but he does take the piss occasionally.
If we get a DM, which I honestly believe we will. It will have been a very good transfer window. If we get a striker too, which I'm doubtful of, it will have been a perfect transfer window.
Tbh I think Jam is an anti-Arsenal troll. Pretty obvious his bias blinds him and he is just another BaconButty. Says a lot about Chelsea fans really when they spend more time in an Arsenal thread than their own. You don't see this type of vulgarity from the United lads. But then again, that's because United are a real big club.

Is the football thread essentially the same users again and again changing usernames? At least I say who I am or make it completely obvious like SUG.

Just an observation.

Also what happened to Mr Vain and are you using tom ford because you're a fan of tom ford or you're a Jay Z fan?
Original post by jam278
Is the football thread essentially the same users again and again changing usernames? At least I say who I am or make it completely obvious like SUG.

Just an observation.

Also what happened to Mr Vain and are you using tom ford because you're a fan of tom ford or you're a Jay Z fan?

thought this too.

I think the account C_Almsey or w/e was him too.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
He's only 6'0 tbf but Ive read that he's very good in the air!

From watching the youtube videos of him(I know...) he actually looked pretty awkward at RB and looked more comfortable when he was simply defending. I think Wenger will use him as a utility defender until he either takes over from Debuchy or takes over from Koscielny.

It's good to have these English defenders around, you get a good shift out of them usually. Certainly would fancy Chambers to keep it together over the likes of Santos, Gallas etc :laugh:

Gutted if he does leave. Even if he didnt make it I did hope he would hang about for a decade as a squad player and become a real cult figure.

He's worth more than £3m as well given his Englishness, definitely got an outside chance of becoming a very good RB.

:afraid:

Man, we were stuck in the dark ages back then in terms of defending. Djourou, Traore, Squillaci. Basically bargain and makeshift defences from the youth setup. We really were that cash strapped. It's a wonder that we did not get a drubbing from the big teams regularly back then rather than last season. Credit to Wenger tbh, guy worked wonders with that (lack of) defensive depth.
Original post by The Assassin
I think the account C_Almsey or w/e was him too.

Don't worry bro, I knew that man. That's why I quoted him. :colonhash:

He did well with trolling SUG and me, even if it went too far he got a long winded argument from us two. Ain't been trolled like that for some time.

Original post by Pete_91
He's not a troll, but he does take the piss occasionally.

If you use the same posting style and sound serious even if you're not serious then people think you're saying the truth.

Seems like people take me serious in real life too.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jam278

Just an observation.

No he doesn't.

Tom Ford is my favourite gay man. The track ain't bad either. Who is Mr Vain? Sounds like another troll prick.
:afraid:

Man, we were stuck in the dark ages back then in terms of defending. Djourou, Traore, Squillaci. Basically bargain and makeshift defences from the youth setup. We really were that cash strapped. It's a wonder that we did not get a drubbing from the big teams regularly back then rather than last season. Credit to Wenger tbh, guy worked wonders with that (lack of) defensive depth.

Basically winged it, but for years and years we were all on tender-hooks at when our defence would **** us over.

Would it be Senderos getting slapped about by Drogba (again)?
Would it be Santos on the RW when we were being countered at LB?
Would Gallas just stop trying and lie down on the pitch?

Think we got away with it more than we should have because we played with such a lot of possession, bit like Barca in recent years, but we had a mid-table or lower quality defence in truth. Took on Barca at their peak with Djourou at CB and almost won on the other hand! :laugh:

Wasn't that complicated to fix either. Just get a 6'6 to cover the high balls, a quick and aggressive partner to cover him and clean up and 2 wing backs who stick to their task(exceptions last season when they bombed up the pitch a few times but that was a tactical mistake trying to deal with a lack of pace elsewhere)

If we get a DM in then we'll be truly solid.
(edited 9 years ago)
No he doesn't.

Tom Ford is my favourite gay man. The track ain't bad either. Who is Mr Vain? Sounds like another troll prick.

I didn't know that.

Don't think I'll be buying tom ford any time soon tbh...

It costs way too much. Who wants to pay 185 pound for a pair of sunglasses?
Chambers apparently #21

On the afc twitter account, whatever happened to "Arsenal football club is delighted to announce the signing of..." more exciting that way haha :tongue:
Reply 1876
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Chambers apparently #21

On the afc twitter account, whatever happened to "Arsenal football club is delighted to announce the signing of..." more exciting that way haha :tongue:

Insta as well and they get it always right. Like with ospina #13
Reply 1877
Original post by t()m
Insta as well and they get it always right. Like with ospina #13

I was suspecting ospina to take the 13 shirt. Like Szczezney did before he took the #1 from Almunia
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jam278
I didn't know that.

Don't think I'll be buying tom ford any time soon tbh...

It costs way too much. Who wants to pay 185 pound for a pair of sunglasses?

It's all about the suits and jackets. Hnng. His old work for Gucci was also very impressive.
Original post by SHOO
I was suspecting ospina to take the 12 shirt. Like Szczezney did before he took he #1 from Almunia

The big lump up top is No 12!

Latest