The Student Room Group

Crazy Storms - why?! Global warming?

Got woken up at 6am this morning by the most intense thunder and lightning. It went on for 2 HOURS.

There have been loads of electric storms in Brighton recently, it's also been super hot and humid. Doesn't really feel like being in the UK!

Why are we getting so many storms...? Is it because of climate change do you think?

tgwktm
x

Tilly Elizabeth
x
The climate system is too complex to blame any particular weather event on climate change. However, a predicted effect of climate change (or climate destabilisation as some like to call it) is an increase in extreme weather events. So whilst we cannot say that those electrical storms are a consequence of climate change, we can say that an increased frequency of electrical storms (if there really is one and it's not just people noticing it more) can be explained by climate change.
Original post by Chlorophile
The climate system is too complex to blame any particular weather event on climate change. However, a predicted effect of climate change (or climate destabilisation as some like to call it) is an increase in extreme weather events. So whilst we cannot say that those electrical storms are a consequence of climate change, we can say that an increased frequency of electrical storms (if there really is one and it's not just people noticing it more) can be explained by climate change.

Check out this craziness: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-28520520
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Got woken up at 6am this morning by the most intense thunder and lightning. It went on for 2 HOURS.

There have been loads of electric storms in Brighton recently, it's also been super hot and humid. Doesn't really feel like being in the UK!

Why are we getting so many storms...? Is it because of climate change do you think?

We have this kind of weather every now and then. Its no big deal.
Reply 4
Original post by Puddles the Monkey

firstly i'd like to say how jealous i am of your thunderstorms, i love them, i had an amazing one 1 1/2/ weeks ago that went on for 4 hours and was the best i'd ever seen.
as for your question, i think in the short term this weather has been caused by other extreme weather around the world. i'll try to explain what i heard:
a cyclone hit the Philippines a few weeks ago when the storm i said about happened. this caused the jet stream in that area to be pushed up in that area which caused a wave effect in the jet stream meaning west america experienced a heat wave as high pressure was allowed further north than usual and easy america experienced a cold snap as the jet stream moved south allowing arctic air further south than usual. this wave effect in the jet stream continued to us and we experienced high pressure or anticyclonic conditions, as the jet stream moved further north than normal, to move from spain further north over us, this caused the heatwaves we have experienced. anticyclonic conditions block any low pressure from entering an area which is why heatwaves can last for so long. as for the intense thunderstorms, i think that is caused by clashes between the warm air moving up from spain and the colder air that was pushed further north.

as for the long term effect, i have always believed that "climate change" is happening but the actual cause of it is not just man made. The climate changes on earth all the time for several reasons to do with the sun, the slight changes in the earth's axis and the earths slightly elliptical orbit. I think we are experiencing more extreme weather because of it but i will not be so quick as to say that the cause of this, if it is happening, is all due to humans.

i hope this has helped your question. I find this all truly fascinating so i would love to discuss it further.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending