The Student Room Group

How do your parents feel about you dating outside of your race?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rlove95
My mum doesn't really care, I think she'd actually prefer someone from a different race than someone from the same race as me but from Nigeria or something although even with that she doesn't really care. The only thing she'd be iffy about is if I brought home a Muslim guy.

Why's that?
Original post by alwaysalex
Why's that?

Cause I'm Christian and she'd be worried about me marrying into a Muslim family.
My parents don't care because they're not racist pieces of ****

Looks and personality are more important than skin colour
They'd probably be happier if I did, shows they raised a son that doesn't judge people on their skin colour

Posted from TSR Mobile
As long as she's muslim or wishes to convert to Islam, then its fine. Although she has to want to convert because of a love for Allah not for me.
In their words "We don't care as long as she's not muslim/arab". We're on the same page regarding that anyway.
Original post by coldhell
Just read this... Wow really? :O

They're obsessed with me marrying into money. On second thought I suppose if the guy was rich they wouldn't care what race he was...
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
They're obsessed with me marrying into money. On second thought I suppose if the guy was rich they wouldn't care what race he was...

Even if he was a rich drug dealer

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by toonervoustotalk
Even if he was a rich drug dealer

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's more family money and status they're into. If his parents are doctors then it's all good. So ridiculous in this day and age.
Actually,I'm a Chinese.In China,kids under 18 will never taik about a singel word about dating unless he desires a three-hours family emergency meeting.:tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
Well my mum says she wants me to marry a black woman and I've never had the conversation with my dad.

I don't mind any race although I've found mixed/latin. arab women most attractive.

Ultimately, it's my choice and it shouldn't be anyone else's. While society is more integrated than before, the idea that some races/religions are against dating others shows that there's still a long way to go. While religion seems to be a good guide for behaviour and belief, it seems to be a huge social and political barrier
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
My family don't even like my dating someone of a different class... I can't imagine they'd like me dating a different race. Sigh.

LOL, the toffs strike back.
Reply 192
Both parents are mixed race in different combinations. Apart from the Far East and the Hispanosphere, being racist to a particular group would be being racist to my own family.
Original post by UWS
If it applies to you of course. My dad doesn't give a crap about it but my mum wants me to find a girlfriend of the same race as me yet I prefer to date outside of my race. I watched a documentary of mixed raced couples being a ******* in some cultures.

I don't mean any offence, although it will be hard to avoid. I strongly question your mothers parenting skills if she is in fact trying to get you to date someone of the same ethnicity.

That's not right dude.
Original post by facetious
What's the general Gujarati view on dating/marrying a Punjabi?

Gujurati parents wont care, as they probably know someone whos married/ dating a black guy, so they are thankful they dodged that bullet
Reply 195
Original post by xmertic
I don't mean any offence, although it will be hard to avoid. I strongly question your mothers parenting skills if she is in fact trying to get you to date someone of the same ethnicity.

That's not right dude.

Who said I'm listening to her? It's my own personal choice. I don't like dating within my race.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by UWS
Who said I'm listening to her? It's my own personal choice. I don't like dating within my race.

I never mentioned you were listening to her at all. I advise you don't :smile:
I have not asked my parents, but I presume they would want me dating a white girl.
Reply 198
My mum was given a really hard time for marrying outside of her race (she's Jewish) and she said she would never put me through the same thing. As long as I'm happy with who I'm with and they're treating me right, that's all she cares about.
Original post by TSA
Does that go for friendship as well? Are you unhappy if your child was friends with someone from a different race?

I'm actually very offended by the first statement in the second paragraph. I am both Indian and Muslim and I treat my girlfriend with the utmost respect. When ever I go over to her flat I cook, clean and leave it in a better state than I entered, if she is ill I will drop what I am doing and help her recover, if she is unhappy I do everything I can to make her smile. I think I integrate extremely well with other cultures, I make an effort to learn about different cultures and languages. It's ridiculous to think just because someone is of a different race they have different interests and values.

No it doesn't apply to friends, friendships may or may not be for life but when my child marries I hope it will be for life. Also the breakdown of a friendship does not have quite the same impact as the breakdown of a marriage. They have friends of several races and I'm pleased about that.

You may treat your girlfriend very well but will your family - have you even introduced them yet. Have you made an effort to learn the manners of your girlfriend's culture? The manners of my child's Indian friends are quite different to mine so they seem rude to me. When you have children will you raise them the way you were raised or how your girlfriend was raised? No matter how well you treat your girlfriend the Indian culture and Muslim culture are that women are of less importance than men. Look at the number of rapes in India, because women are seen as unimportant. When you are angry with your girlfriend will you still treat her well and what about as you get older and tend to revert more to the way you were raised. If you were dating a daughter of mine I would judge you on how you behaved towards them but I'd still be concerned about the long term.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending