The Student Room Group

Minimum amount of money you need to find before handing it in?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Location will affect my decision. In a remote area in the middle of nowhere I would probably take quite a bit. Maybe....

Whereas in the park or something or left at a city centre bus stop id probably turn it in

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd definitely hand in anything over £50, but would probably hand in a smaller amount as well. I didn't earn that money so as far as I'm concerned it's not mine to keep. If it was my money that I'd dropped I'd want someone else to do the same.
£50 or more. I couldn't live with the guilt!
Original post by goldtippedarrows
Im not judging anyone's moral compass at all but the whole 'Finders Keepers losers weepers' seems very wrong to me. :smile:

I'm not judging your logic but it seems somewhat misfiring.
If it was in a wallet, I'd hand it in no matter the amount. If it was just in an envelope on the street with no way of finding the owner I'd probably keep it (although I would feel guilty with anything over £50).
Anything over £15 I'd hand in, if it was in an envelope or rubber band or so.

Anything less than that and I won't bother picking it up in the first place.
Original post by cambio wechsel
I'm not judging your logic but it seems somewhat misfiring.

I didnt want to come across as self righteous because I dont think I'm better than anyone else and hence why I wanted to make it clear that I would'nt judge anyones character on the basis of pocketing money (which 94% of TSrians would do apparently so it would be ridiculous to judge someones morals on the basis of this) Sorry if this wasn't clear enough to you:nyan:
Really depends where I found it...if it was on a bus or in a cinema or something, then it would probably be collected if I handed it in. But if it was in on the side of a road, then it is less likely that it would be collected...
Reply 28
The higher it gets the more I'd keep it! :ahee:
Original post by Motorbiker
It's not in a wallet so no clear ID.

Assume it's in a brown envelope.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmmmmm I was going to say keep everything below 100 maybe 150

But the brown envelope suggests it was for something special so probably anything above 20
Original post by Another
Anything over £15 I'd hand in, if it was in an envelope or rubber band or so.

Anything less than that and I won't bother picking it up in the first place.

I'd pick up an amount less than £15 - every little helps, in my opinion.,

As for larger amounts, depends on a variety of factors, including amount and location.
Well I know from experience that if I find a fiver I keep it, but in both times that's happened I asked people if it was theirs and got no response. Quite funnily, the first time it happened I saw it drop from a guy's pocket and I tried to get his attention but he ignored me!
Also from experience I have handed in £10, but that was under fairly unusual circumstances so in other situations I may not.
Anything more than £20 and I'm pretty sure I would, unless there were some strange circumstances whereby I felt I was entitled to it.
My attitude to people losing anything is generally 'tough titties, you should have taken better care of it'. (and yes, that is my attitude when I lose things).

I'd only bother handing something in to a police station/building security if it was a suspiciously large amount of money to indicate it was part of a crime, or an item with sentimental value/use to only that person (e.g. wallet w/ credit cards, car keys, wedding ring etc)
Why would you hand money in? The police would probably pocket it.
I ticked the first box because I wouldn't keep a fiver (or probably anything more than two quid) if I found it but would give it to charity/spend it in a charity shop then re-donate or gift the item I'd bought. £10+ I'd give in.

EDIT: Regardless of amount, if it was in a wallet/envelope etc, I would hand it all in.
(edited 9 years ago)
The question is a little vague. If ANY amount is dropped inside a wallet, purse, bag etc., I'll ask around before handing it in. If I haven't seen anybody drop a sufficient amount (£5+) or haven't directly walked passed it, I'll take it (obviously waving notes in people's faces won't verify a genuine ownership). Depending on my mood, I could give it to a homeless person (or purchase them food or necessities), give my mum/sister a gift, or save it.
I once found £5 on the school bus. I knew that if I said "has anyone lost this" there'd be about 50 people suddenly realising that a fiver had gone missing from their wallet, so my friend told me to keep it. I did and I felt so guilty about it that I donated it all to Children In Need :colondollar: so I probably wouldn't be able to keep £100. Also I lost my purse with all its contents in freshers week and I'd have been beyond distraught if that hadn't been handed in!
I'd hand it in if I found it in a wallet. Otherwise...probably not.
Who in their right mind would hand an unclaimed note in? If it was in a wallet, however, I would not touch a penny.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Have done on a couple occasions, kept it all one time (it blew into my face) and the other time it was two fifty pound notes; me and my friend stood around waiting to see if anyone was looking for it then split the money between us.

Have also returned a fair few wallets over the years with all money still inside though so don't think I'm bad. But I challenge anyone to be walking down the street worrying about money, to then have 100 pound blow into your face, to not just pocket it and thank the universe. :giggle:

Original post by VikingLemon
I ticked the first box because I wouldn't keep a fiver (or probably anything more than two quid) if I found it but would give it to charity/spend it in a charity shop then re-donate or gift the item I'd bought. £10+ I'd give in.

EDIT: Regardless of amount, if it was in a wallet/envelope etc, I would hand it all in.

Technically thanks to some clever defences in the past, if you gave 4 out of 5 pound to charity and spent the rest on yourself you'd get off completely free if it came to a court. :h:
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending