The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by James222
20% or 40% I was making a point
its not discriminating on religious grounds but lifestyle choice.
But apart from people living in certain countries, religion is a lifestyle choice. Certainly in UK, no one forces you to believe. That would be against the law. Also against the Quran.

wtf are you on about, no one outside the faith must see ? I already said what the reasons where.
Is it mainly about bacon then?

your ex is not a group she is a individual,
Well, I did suggest some group stuff but it didn't go down too well. I think that's one of the reasons she threw me out. Perhaps I shouldn't have asked her sister as well. Women, eh?

non muslims can live with anyone they are neutral, your giving me individual stories im talking generally.
But you have said that non-Muslims can't live with Muslims, so they can't live with anyone. Also, It isn't just an individual who's into hip-hop and R&B, it's anyone who's into it. It's a general rule I have.

you can still smell it and use the same tools etc people dont want to share and they have that right.
I'm with you there. I hate it when people borrow my tools and don't return them. You never remember until you've got a plug to change or a tag to remove.

Atheists can eat halal many choose not too but nothing stopping them religiously
It's exactly the same thing stopping them that stops Muslims eating non-halal. Personal belief. No different. If you ate bacon, you wouldn't die and if there was a god, he would never send someone to hell for eating bacon. If he didn't want us to eat it, why did he make it taste so awesome? Have you tried it? Just don't make no sense!
Reply 101
Original post by TheAnusFiles
Well it's people like you that encourage Britain to hurdle towards the inevitable clash of cultures that is looming imminently, and stoking the far-right

Whatever.
If the post had said "white people only" there would be an outcry.
Original post by EatAndRevise
If the post had said "white people only" there would be an outcry.

There is a difference of opinion over weather selection based on religion or race is equal in all circumstances.

As users have pointed out there are many legal exemptions which allow people to discriminate based on Religion.
I find this is very disappointing to read, to think that we've reached a degree of segregation in every matter as a nation whether concerning religion or race etc.
That simply we cannot tolerate to share somewhere with a roof over our heads alongside another human... all due to not having similar lifestyles/interests is certainly saddening :frown:.

This is surely nothing but overt discrimination, the message conveyed behind those signs couldn't be a more apparent way of averting non-believers from their properties.
Original post by Pinzgauer
It seems when you're a Muslim, you can get away with all sorts in Britain :smile:

The article you quoted also says they found adverts saying "Asians only" and "Polish only" why are you specifically picking out Muslims and ignoring the others? :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zen Baphomet
There is a difference of opinion over weather selection based on religion or race is equal in all circumstances.

As users have pointed out there are many legal exemptions which allow people to discriminate based on Religion.

No there aren't.
Original post by Roger1
Whatever.

Well woe betide you. People are losing patience

Nope
Original post by CryptoidAlien
I Ad's for an Asian I.T assistant

To be fair they are the best at computers.
Original post by Old_Simon
No there aren't.

You said it yourself not a few hours ago that there are....to me..in this thread.

Make up your mind, can the Church of England refuse you employment based on religion or not?
Nope

Nope what?

You are going to have to give a little more context to your response, otherwise you know....we have to send you to a happy place.

Now today has been a good day so far, I don't want to have to send anyone to the happy place.
You said it yourself not a few hours ago that there are....to me..in this thread.

Make up your mind, can the Church of England refuse you employment based on religion or not?

Ministers (priests) are not employees.
Nope what?

You are going to have to give a little more context to your response, otherwise you know....we have to send you to a happy place.

Now today has been a good day so far, I don't want to have to send anyone to the happy place.

You can't discriminate on religion.
Original post by Old_Simon
Ministers (priests) are not employees.

They certainly are by all legal definitions, the CoE is registered as a Charity and as a business organization, priests file P45's every year via there employer.

They receive a pay-check and a pension from there Employer(the Church) as well.

Out of curiosity an application I made was refused a few years ago, I applied to be a technical assistant on a Christian TV station, I was refused because I was not Christian.
Legally they also have this right by UK law.(I checked with my Lawyer)
(edited 9 years ago)
You can't discriminate on religion.

So for example you think the Church of England has to employ non-Christians for the rolls of Ministers or Deacons?

Or it has to allow Atheists to attend Seminary?
So for example you think the Church of England has to employ non-Christians for the rolls of Ministers or Deacons?

Or it has to allow Atheists to attend Seminary?

Utterly stupid comparison. It is not racist for a religion to say that its ministers have to show a certain level of religious faith. It is however racist to rent accommodation only to people of a certain religion/race.
Utterly stupid comparison. It is not racist for a religion to say that its ministers have to show a certain level of religious faith. It is however racist to rent accommodation only to people of a certain religion/race.

Racist?

The ****?

Who's talking about race, we are discussing religious discrimination, I wasn't aware Christianity was a race.
However to your point, so you are saying the Church of England should be allowed to refuse to rent it's accomodation to non-christians?(As it does).

There is no difference one is an employer offering a goods for service transaction, the other is a landlord offering a goods for service transaction why should one get to discriminate on grounds or religion but not the other?

What about ChristianTV channels, should they get to refuse non-christians work on/off set?
(edited 9 years ago)
Racist?

The ****?

Who's talking about race, we are discussing religious discrimination, I wasn't aware Christianity was a race.

However to your point, so you are saying the Church of England should be allowed to refuse to rent it's accomodation to non-christians?(As it does)

The definition of racism includes religious discrimination (note: not criticism).

And no they shouldn't be able to refuse to rent its accomodation.

And no they shouldn't be able to refuse to rent its accomodation.

Legally they are allowed and they do so.

As are religious organizations and charities allowed to refuse to hire members not of their respective faiths.

Latest

Trending

Trending