The Student Room Group
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website

Coventry Freshers week 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by skyblue1991
Coventry is a **** hole. Feel bad for you all.

Thank you for that cheerful, enthusiastic, ever so insightful input. Very helpful, very much appreciated. Thank you.
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website
Original post by CrumpledFudge
Thank you for that cheerful, enthusiastic, ever so insightful input. Very helpful, very much appreciated. Thank you.

No problem. Having lived here for nearly 23 years of my life I can't understand why anyone would want to live in the City.

But hey enjoy it.
No problem. Having lived here for nearly 23 years of my life I can't understand why anyone would want to live in the City.

But hey enjoy it.

Why would someone want to live there? To go to the university maybe? Just a stab in the dark!
Why would someone want to live there? To go to the university maybe? Just a stab in the dark!

University is a massive experience that should be enjoyed as a whole. That does include the environment you live in.

If you have taken a tour of the city and the area around the accommodation you are living in (i.e. Liberty Point is in the Hillfields area, one of the roughest areas of Cov and where the RLD is) and liked it then fair enough.

Oh and if you like your clubbing there is the choice of about four night clubs. Best place is the Kasbah (or 'The Colly' as the locals call it) on Mondays. Everywhere else you might as well not bother.
University is a massive experience that should be enjoyed as a whole. That does include the environment you live in.

If you have taken a tour of the city and the area around the accommodation you are living in (i.e. Liberty Point is in the Hillfields area, one of the roughest areas of Cov and where the RLD is) and liked it then fair enough.

Oh and if you like your clubbing there is the choice of about four night clubs. Best place is the Kasbah (or 'The Colly' as the locals call it) on Mondays. Everywhere else you might as well not bother.

Why are you even on this forum?
Original post by keelymeehan
Why are you even on this forum?

Why do you ask? Has someone got upset by an opinion?
Original post by Gamespeed
Did you get raped in Coventry or something? I'm sure they are a million of other things you could be doing right now then hating your home city, then again you might not.

No I haven't been raped in Coventry. I have however been glassed in the collar bone (inches from my neck) in the old Mortimers a few years ago (known as Club M nowadays) when enjoying a night out with my University colleagues (all traveled down from Sheffield) in which the attacker admitted he got the wrong person, so you can hardly blame me for venting my anger.

No I have not got anything better to do. I had a break from work earlier and I have just come in now, during which I fancied a browse on TSR. Is that an issue?
(edited 9 years ago)
Why do you ask? Has someone got upset by an opinion?

I never said I was upset just asking why you are on this forum just to give negative opinions, I'm from Warwick and will be going to coventry university in September and I know a lot about coventry and I think as everyone on the forum is intelligent enough to get into university I'm sure they can make their own minds up without your warped concept on Coventry. Your embarrassing yourself a little that is all x
No I haven't been raped in Coventry. I have however been glassed in the collar bone (inches from my neck) in the old Mortimers a few years ago (known as Club M nowadays) when enjoying a night out with my University colleagues (all traveled down from Sheffield) in which the attacker admitted he got the wrong person, so you can hardly blame me for venting my anger.

No I have not got anything better to do. I had a break from work earlier and I have just come in now, during which I fancied a browse on TSR. Is that an issue?

No issue whatsoever, if you wish to spend your time "venting" out your anger a few years after the incident (Which could have happened anywhere) on The Student Room, that is your prerogative. Just doesn't seem like the ideal life to me.
Original post by keelymeehan
I never said I was upset just asking why you are on this forum just to give negative opinions, I'm from Warwick and will be going to coventry university in September and I know a lot about coventry and I think as everyone on the forum is intelligent enough to get into university I'm sure they can make their own minds up without your warped concept on Coventry. Your embarrassing yourself a little that is all x

Ooops, embarrassing yourself a little with your spelling and grammar.

I have an opinion. Take it how you want; positive, negative or constructive. Unfortunately these are what forums are for.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Gamespeed
No issue whatsoever, if you wish to spend your time "venting" out your anger a few years after the incident (Which could have happened anywhere) on The Student Room, that is your prerogative. Just doesn't seem like the ideal life to me.

That's fine. I'm glad we have settled things.
Ooops, embarrassing yourself a little with your spelling and grammar.

I have an opinion. Take it how you want; positive, negative or constructive. Unfortunately these are what forums are for.

That's because I'm highly dyslexic so well done for being even more of a total moron. I'm not wasting anymore time on someone who clearly has no life.
Soooo anyway, pointless negative opinions aside... Everyone looking forward to September?! :smile:
Soooo anyway, pointless negative opinions aside... Everyone looking forward to September?! :smile:

Yep, cant wait to get back to uni :smile:

Damn freshers.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 54
Contrary opinion - I've loved living in coventry, not had any trouble from anyone and certainly not been glassed. Just don't be a dumbass about travelling in a city, don't go to the rough clubs and you'll be fine.
Reply 55
Original post by Nyeep
Contrary opinion - I've loved living in coventry, not had any trouble from anyone and certainly not been glassed. Just don't be a dumbass about travelling in a city, don't go to the rough clubs and you'll be fine.

Could you list the areas to avoid... just for everyone's peace of mind
Reply 56
Hillfields is the big one that you want to avoid, and if you like clubbing you're best off either going to kasbah or taking a trip into Birmingham. Basically stick to the well populated areas and don't go down any dark alleys alone, same as any city.
Original post by SillyEddy
Not really, or certainly not guaranteed.

Some flats will get together and go out together, others go out in far smaller groups. After about the first week, I barely saw my flatmates in halls - The exception was one person who was on my course, whom is now my housemate. Most of the people I know now are either from my course or from societies.

In short: Just don't worry about that stuff. Make the most of what you've got and it will be absolutely fine.

The only real "social" bit I remember from freshers was that halls have their own colours (which we found out about 10 minutes before going out). You could largely recognise those who were in your halls (I probably only saw a couple of them ever again). The first night was quite fun, but the rest became a bit standard. Just don't try to live the uni life, it's a bit of a myth. Just do what you find enjoyable.

Do you know how much freshers wristbands are and if they're worth the money? Thanks!
Do you know how much freshers wristbands are and if they're worth the money? Thanks!

Don't bother, it's as effective to just pay for the events individually iirc. That's what I did anyway and I remember those that bought the wristbands wished they hadn't as it was a bit unnecessary.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by OliverJR
Don't bother, it's as effective to just pay for the events individually iirc. That's what I did anyway and I remember those that bought the wristbands wished they hadn't as it was a bit unnecessary.

I'm wondering how you find out about freshers events , as I haven't heard any news on what events there are or anything and not sure how I would find out about them.

Quick Reply

Latest