The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zen Baphomet
Legally they are allowed and they do so.

As are religious organizations and charities allowed to refuse to hire members not of their respective faiths.

Still different to ordinary people doing it though
Original post by TheAnusFiles
Still different to ordinary people doing it though

So now you are saying religious people aren't "Ordinary" that somehow they get a free pass when it comes to the law?

How is a man one day saying "I like Christianity and Christian things, I am going to make a TV Channel and tell everyone else about Christianity..and I am only going to hire other Christians" afford him special protection against a man that says

"I like Islam and Islamic things, I am only going to let other Muslims live with me when I rent my appartment"?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Roger1
Please don't assume things about us.

Yeah I mean who else will pay jizya
Reply 123
Yeah I mean who else will pay jizya

Irrelevant.
So now you are saying religious people aren't "Ordinary" that somehow they get a free pass when it comes to the law?

No, that religious organisations do get special benefits such as not paying tax. Ordinary people however (religious or atheist) should not receive these privileges.

Is every reply I make going to be me responding to a straw man?
Original post by Roger1
Irrelevant.

Well people tend to care more for others when the others are being forced to pay money to them.
Original post by miscounted_time
Loads of Muslims do the at least one of the above, infact you don't know that he himself doesn't do those things.
Not all non-Muslims do those things

If a white person was to put up an advert and didn't want to deal with cultural differences so stated "whites only" or "non-Muslims only" you know as well as I do the **** would hit the fan.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not true actually. There was an advert on gumtree for a shared flat that stated that they'd prefer no black people to apply. A group of my friends (all ethnicities) tried to get Gumtree to reconsider displaying the advert, but they refused to remove it.
No, that religious organisations do get special benefits such as not paying tax. Ordinary people however (religious or atheist) should not receive these privileges.

I ask again.

How is a man one day saying "I like Christianity and Christian things, I am going to make a TV Channel and tell everyone else about Christianity..and I am only going to hire other Christians" afford him special protection against a man that says

"I like Islam and Islamic things, I am only going to let other Muslims live with me when I rent my apartment"?

They are both individual who set up private (non charity) ventures , and choose to discriminate based on religion.

Why is Example 1 Fine but Example 2 not?

Is every reply I make going to be me responding to a straw man?

Well here hasn't been one yet, unless you are trying to distract me from the point by levelling claims against my debate style instead of addressing the points themselves in attempt to ruffle me?

Poor form.
Original post by QE2
But apart from people living in certain countries, religion is a lifestyle choice. Certainly in UK, no one forces you to believe. That would be against the law. Also against the Quran.

The law treats lifestyle choice and religion differently. You have the right to religious freedom not life style choice. Religious Freedom is a concept over which 1000s have died hence its protected in law, the same does not apply to say girls who do not want to wear trousers to school the law wont protect them, but will protect a boy who wants to wear a turban, clear ?

Original post by QE2

Is it mainly about bacon then?

Alcohol,diet,bacon not wanting a bunch of people getting reading for a night out on friday and saturday when its not something you will be doing.

Original post by QE2

Well, I did suggest some group stuff but it didn't go down too well. I think that's one of the reasons she threw me out. Perhaps I shouldn't have asked her sister as well. Women, eh?

If you dont want to live with women that is fine ! you should have the right to only rent out to men.

Original post by QE2

But you have said that non-Muslims can't live with Muslims, so they can't live with anyone. Also, It isn't just an individual who's into hip-hop and R&B, it's anyone who's into it. It's a general rule I have.

I'm with you there. I hate it when people borrow my tools and don't return them. You never remember until you've got a plug to change or a tag to remove.
I said non muslims CAN live with muslims, they can live with ANYONE. its non muslim who may have a specific issue. Thats fine you can choose not too specify in your adverts no loud music and trustworthy flatmates only, thats not the same as saying, strictly no muslims that is a 100x worse.

Original post by QE2

It's exactly the same thing stopping them that stops Muslims eating non-halal. Personal belief. No different. If you ate bacon, you wouldn't die and if there was a god, he would never send someone to hell for eating bacon. If he didn't want us to eat it, why did he make it taste so awesome? Have you tried it? Just don't make no sense!

no its not the same thing as nothing in atheists bible that saying you can eat halal. Muslims are not allowed to eat non halal food, so I was giving you an example of non muslims are more flexible. Religious belief not same as Personal Belief. An atheists who doesnt eat meat doesnt eat it for personal reasons not religious reasons.

I never said you would die from eating bacon, well im sure your an expert on what god does and doent allow. Plenty of things feel awesome that are illegal, im sure its awesome to light a fire at the beach or go skinny dipping its still illegal.Also stop trying to change the subject, you sound like a dawkins bigot
Reply 129
Well people tend to care more for others when the others are being forced to pay money to them.

Is Britain a Muslim country or under the Islamic law?
I ask again.

"I like Islam and Islamic things, I am only going to let other Muslims live with me when I rent my apartment"?

They are both individual who set up private (non charity) ventures , and choose to discriminate based on religion.

Why is Example 1 Fine but Example 2 not?

Well here hasn't been one yet, unless you are trying to distract me from the point by levelling claims against my debate style instead of addressing the points themselves in attempt to ruffle me?

Poor form.

I never claimed religious people are not ordinary, I claimed that religious organisations were not. You jumped to that conclusion in order to make an argument. Your picture and name belie your poor debating skills.

The difference is that in scenario 1), it is understandable that being Christian would be part of the criteria for working for a TV Channel in which a good knowledge and belief in Christianity is needed. Example 2 is simply hiring a tenant. Any religious preference is simply down to the prejudices of the landlord.
Original post by Roger1
Is Britain a Muslim country or under the Islamic law?

No but in a Muslim society, we would all have to pay jizya would we not?
I never claimed religious people are not ordinary, I claimed that religious organisations were not.

Sorry I missed the bit where you said "religious or atheist)" , my bad.

You jumped to that conclusion in order to make an argument. Your picture and name belie your poor debating skills.

What would my picture and name have to do with me winding you up?

You chide me for using Strawmans , yet use my appearance as a way to insult me?

The difference is that in scenario 1), it is understandable that being Christian would be part of the criteria for working for a TV Channel in which a good knowledge and belief in Christianity is needed. Example 2 is simply hiring a tenant. Any religious preference is simply down to the prejudices of the landlord.

What if he want's to make his properties Islamic environments?
(edited 9 years ago)
Shame

That's good at least.

That pretty much proves it, it's always sad to see someone who thinks they are defending there race and culture but are in fact doing nothing but marching it into the flames.

I am sorry we cannot agree but I do salute your defence of your ethnic group / culture etc

the most important issue for me today is immigration. I want my country to stay homogenous
Reply 134
No but in a Muslim society, we would all have to pay jizya would we not?

Yeah and?
Original post by European Pride
I am sorry we cannot agree but I do salute your defence of your ethnic group / culture etc

the most important issue for me today is immigration. I want my country to stay homogenous

Repped!
(edited 9 years ago)

You aren't winding me up. I just noticed that you are one of these users with some fancy name like 'Ventrilus Bartholemew' or something else pseudo-intelligent, and a picture that suggests class, but when you actually talk to them it's like debating with the Graun's Comment Is Free section.

A landlord is not allowed to make his properties Islamic environments any more than he could a 'white only environment' or 'straight only environment'.
Sorry I missed the bit where you said "religious or atheist)" , my bad.

You chide me for using Strawmans , yet use my appearance as a way to insult me?

Come on this is painful to watch, let the poor man go.

Your just being mean now.
Original post by Roger1
Yeah and?

And the Quran cannot be gone against or modernised can it?
Original post by Three Mile Sprint
Come on this is painful to watch, let the poor man go.

Your just being mean now.

But it's so fun.....

Latest

Trending

Trending