The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheInvincibles14
Our squad is looking pretty stacked atm. Obviously if Vermaelen leaves and we don't replace him with another experienced CB then our defence would actually be weaker so I think it's imperative we keep hold of him, and especially we shouldn't be selling him to United and helping their rebuilding process. DMF is still an area of weakness, Arteta is competent against the weaker sides but we need someone like Carvalho/Schneiderlin to come in and provide a physical presence and shield the back four. Look at our tital rivals, City have Yaya/Fernando/Fernandinho, Chelsea have Matic, Liverpool have Can who can become a midfield powerhouse. The closest we have is Diaby and if stays fit then we're sorted in that position but that's a big gamble so we definitely need to bring someone in. Disappointed we didn't go in for Mandzukic too. He may not be the striker that is a massive improvement on Giroud but he's someone that would allow both of them to flourish as Giroud suffered burnout last season, plus he's also a big game player which Giroud is not. Sanchez/Walcott/Podolski should not be considered strikers, they are all wide forwards and there is difference that Wenger does not seem to grasp. Should have been in for Griezzmann too, if you think about it if Sanchez replaces Theo and Griezzmann starts over Cazorla we become much more dynamic up front, Sociedad payed us around £12m for Vela so we could have given them £10m + Vela which wouldn't have been a bad deal at all, obviously one of Cazorla or Poldi would have to be sold for that to happen and I think Wenger wants to keep both, which personally is the wrong decision. I think those two players we missed out on tbh.
Theo is a better option today than Griezmann. Your post is just football manager.
They have Sandro, Paulinho and Capoue who are competent enough in that position. They really should be after a better forward then Jay Rodriguez too. Soton being treated like Tesco :laugh:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I dont think Soton are going to reinvest the cash, but this is arguably an opportunity for them to push on given the great prices they've got for their players thus far. Tasic will replace Lallana well, Lambert will be an issue but Pelle is a decent player thus far.

Dont want to go full Football Manager, but they can fill their squad up up with players from the continent for £90m and actually improve imho. If you look at some of the business Newcastle are doing, then the opportunity is there.
Reply 1902
Original post by AR_95
I think they announced that he would get more time and won't be fired if Tottenham fail to reach CL. For once I think they're getting their heads together and Pochettino will come good for them in the long run.

Oh right that's good cause I rate pochettino. Funny he's now doing interviews now in English
Original post by Richard Head
Theo is a better option today than Griezmann. Your post is just football manager.

Not really. Griezzmann ceiling is higher than Theo's. Theo is similar to someone like Schurrle, why do you think Willian starts over him, also why is Navas being used as a bench option and Nasri/Silva starting for City. Against teams that park the bus you need someone who is better at dribbling and can open up defences.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1904
Look at Kieran Gibbs Instagram to see a bit of chambers initiation song ... Good to see him fitting in well already
Not really. Griezzmann ceiling is higher than Theo's. Theo is similar to someone like Schurrle, why do you think Willian starts over him, also why is Navas being used as a bench option and Nasri/Silva starting for City. Against teams that park the bus you need someone who is better at dribbling and can open up defences.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd just like to say prior to Walcott getting injured he was perhaps out main man - looked like the only one who could break a bus defence. I don't think there should be any doubt as to Theo's ability to open a defence through his pace.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not really. Griezzmann ceiling is higher than Theo's. Theo is similar to someone like Schurrle, why do you think Willian starts over him, also why is Navas being used as a bench option and Nasri/Silva starting for City. Against teams that park the bus you need someone who is better at dribbling and can open up defences. Posted from TSR Mobile
So one, you didn't read my post where I said that Theo is a better option today. You're advocating a whole new front three which is quite ludicrous especially as none of them have played in England before. Also tied in is the fact that Walcott is actually a better player than Griezmann right now, and much much better than either of Navas and Schurrle right now. Look at Walcott's goal record ffs, it's outstanding. Btw Willian starting over Schurrle is a travesty and just out of Mourinho's fetish for defensive control at all times.
Original post by t()m
Look at Kieran Gibbs Instagram to see a bit of chambers initiation song ... Good to see him fitting in well already

Haha just seen it, guess his move was meant to be! Settling very well already.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tbh Vela did better than Griezmann last season and I'm a big fan of Griezmann.

Also dribblers aren't the only way to break park bus teams, sometimes having players like a Muller who work hard and find space or inferior versions such as Schurrle and Walcott are a great way to stop park bus teams.

I wouldn't say either is better than the other but Sanchez is better than Walcott regardless and Griezmann is probably the better LW out of the three so you'd have Walcott on the bench either way.

Schurrle gets bumped as well, Willian is stealing a spot at Chelsea, he seems like the more natural footballer but one has to just question his rather poor goalscoring and assist rate and you realise that he's a pretty overrated player.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by t()m

Went for Naive by The Kooks, love him already! :love:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Peggles_*
Went for Naive by The Kooks, love him already! :love:

Posted from TSR Mobile

He's fit though init. :sexface:
Reply 1912
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Haha just seen it, guess his move was meant to be! Settling very well already.

The ox posted a pic of them saying new chambo in town
Swear about half of our squad now have at least 8/10 looks at this stage. Chambers is the latest edition to the Wenger aesthetics crew :colondollar:
Reply 1914
I think Wenger should REALLY push for Draxler.
I've always rated him and he is a beast.
If we are able to get him we have a very good chance at the title.
Reply 1915
Original post by ETRC

srs?
Reply 1916
Debuchy is actually 29 today.
Original post by ETRC

No way. It's not like he is a Neymar or Messi who can win games on his own...you need a team to win the title even Ronaldo can't do that.

Apparently getting loaned to WHU, good deal.
Original post by Tom_Ford

Apparently getting loaned to WHU, good deal.

Hopefully he doesn't leave permanently just yet

Latest