The Student Room Group

Anti-Semitism on the march in Europe again

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/10992886/Anti-Semitism-on-the-march-Europe-braces-for-violence.html

So anti-Semitism is rearing its ugly head again in Europe, but it's not from far-right Neo-Nazis as would be expected.

I get that anti-Zionism =/= anti-Semitism, but it is a very fine line. The Pro-Palestinian movement in Europe needs to be careful about who is amongst its ranks.

Scroll to see replies

Who exactly are you concerned has infiltrated the ranks of Pro-Palestinian supporters?
Original post by Lady Comstock
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/10992886/Anti-Semitism-on-the-march-Europe-braces-for-violence.html

So anti-Semitism is rearing its ugly head again in Europe, but it's not from far-right Neo-Nazis as would be expected.

I get that anti-Zionism =/= anti-Semitism, but it is a very fine line. The Pro-Palestinian movement in Europe needs to be careful about who is amongst its ranks.

I think its worth making a couple of important points about antisemitism.
1) Antisemitism has never gone away its just been less public
2) Antisemitism has never been restricted to the far-right

Finally, Jewish groups have been pointing out the problem of antisemitism in anti-Israel discourse for years. Not only were they ignored, but worse - they were told that their claims of antisemitism were illegitimate and somehow where just an attempt to "shut down debate" (as if Israel never gets discussed). No other group in recent years has been treated this way. Whenever any other group claims that it is experiencing racism it is treated seriously but when Jews did it they were dismissed as trying to deflect attention. We're all guilty of letting this happen by ignoring the warnings.

Original post by Zen Baphomet
Who exactly are you concerned has infiltrated the ranks of Pro-Palestinian supporters?

All section of the pro-Palestinian supporters are tainted with antisemitism. At the AGM of the Palestine Solidarity Campaign a year or two ago they had to kick out a couple of people who were caught overtly denying the Holocaust. Many spoke out against the expulsion. All involved were White Middle-Class Britons.
Original post by UniOfLife

All section of the pro-Palestinian supporters are tainted with antisemitism.

Even those who are Jewish/Israli themselves?

At the AGM of the Palestine Solidarity Campaign a year or two ago they had to kick out a couple of people who were caught overtly denying the Holocaust. Many spoke out against the expulsion. All involved were White Middle-Class Britons.

Ah yes , I remember that I was there, if I remember correctly those who spoke out against the expulsion did so on the grounds that a member who supports the overall campaign should not be removed on the grounds of other opinions no matter how odious they may be, the left tend to be big on free speech.
(edited 9 years ago)
Even those who are Jewish/Israli themselves?

Yes. See below.

Ah yes , I remember that I was there, if I remember correctly those who spoke out against the expulsion did so on the grounds that a member who supports the overall campaign should not be removed on the grounds of other opinions no matter how odious they may be, the left tend to be big on free speech.

This is why all sections of the pro-Palestine lobby are tainted. Not every individual because many individuals do decry antisemitism within its ranks. But every section within the broad church has members who are overtly antisemitic and others who do not wish to dissociate from them.

I am a huge supporter of free speech but this is not a free speech issue. If a member of the Palestine Solidarity Campaign called for the expulsion of all Palestinians from the West Bank (for example) they would be kicked out immediately. No free speech defence because obviously that view is completely incompatible with the aims and views of the group. That people thought it was acceptable to keep Holocaust deniers inside the PSC on free speech grounds taints that section of the group.

Again, not every individual (by far not) but every section of support for the Palestinian cause has people within it who are deeply antisemitic.
Original post by UniOfLife

This is why all sections of the pro-Palestine lobby are tainted. Not every individual because many individuals do decry antisemitism within its ranks. But every section within the broad church has members who are overtly antisemitic and others who do not wish to dissociate from them.

I am a huge supporter of free speech but this is not a free speech issue. If a member of the Palestine Solidarity Campaign called for the expulsion of all Palestinians from the West Bank (for example) they would be kicked out immediately. No free speech defence because obviously that view is completely incompatible with the aims and views of the group. That people thought it was acceptable to keep Holocaust deniers inside the PSC on free speech grounds taints that section of the group.

Again, not every individual (by far not) but every section of support for the Palestinian cause has people within it who are deeply antisemitic.

Surely by that logic (almost) every orginization is tainted by Anti-Semetism, you would be hard pressed to find a buissness or collection of ideology minded individuals who didn't contain anti-semites somewhere?
Surely by that logic (almost) every orginization is tainted by Anti-Semetism, you would be hard pressed to find a buissness or collection of ideology minded individuals who didn't contain anti-semites somewhere?

Firstly, I hope that isn't true.

Secondly, the people who agitate against the Jewish state ought to be more conscious of the problem and more aware of it.

Third and most important: most organisations will kick out those found to be antisemitic. The pro-Palestine organisation seems to find this extremely difficult to do. They do not oppose people going on their marches carrying "Hitler was right" placards, for example. They do not dissociate from people who claim that Jews are trying to run the world etc etc.
Original post by Lady Comstock

I explained why anti-Jewishness / anti-Zionism is on the rise but my post got removed for offensiveness / trolling. No wonder its on the rise. We are forbidden to discuss the issues.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Uni oflife said - "All section of the pro-Palestinian supporters are tainted with antisemitism."

ZenB said- " Even those who are Jewish/Israli themselves? "

Thats internalised antisemitism.
(See what I did there? I borrowed that crap from the feministas)

Your right though. The left is at the forefront of this new wave of antisemitism, though they call it anti zionism but we all know the truth.
Funny enough the half a dozen active feminists I know are all involved in it.
who cares?

A few jews get called a few bad names and you're getting offended and upset.

Over 1000 Palestinians are summarily executed in an open air prison and you don't care. Anti-semtism only occurs because jews do not do themselves any favours and are incredibly racist.
I know the left like to make it clear that they're anti-zionists and not antisemitic, but I can't help sense a tinge of anti-antisemitism to the way the left-wing media has treated recent events. They seem to be very unconcerned about the attacks against Jews across Europe. This kind of indifference is always worrying, as it has paved the way for evil so many times in history.
Original post by BoddyBuilder
who cares?

A few jews get called a few bad names and you're getting offended and upset.

Over 1000 Palestinians are summarily executed in an open air prison and you don't care. Anti-semtism only occurs because jews do not do themselves any favours and are incredibly racist.

No it doesn't, and couldn't the same be said for Muslims?
I think this is an unfortunate but inevitable by-product of the Israel-Palestine conflict. People associate Jews with the actions of the Israeli state (who are Jewish) and begin to collapse the two into one. Thus you have an increase in Antisemitism. To use a parallel example, when a Muslim extremist commits a crime there is often an upsurge of anti-Muslim sentiments and attacks on normal everyday people who just happen to be Muslim.

I am pro-Palestine but I wholly condemn any anti-Semitic language or behavior that is being exhibited by people such as those mentioned in the article.
Original post by iammeyouareyou
I think this is an unfortunate but inevitable by-product of the Israel-Palestine conflict. People associate Jews with the actions of the Israeli state (who are Jewish) and begin to collapse the two into one. Thus you have an increase in Antisemitism. To use a parallel example, when a Muslim extremist commits a crime there is often an upsurge of anti-Muslim sentiments and attacks on normal everyday people who just happen to be Muslim.

I am pro-Palestine but I wholly condemn any anti-Semitic language or behavior that is being exhibited by people such as those mentioned in the article.

Difference is that blaming islam for an islamic condoned attack is fair. blaming ethnic/religious jews for the actions of a state is not
People should stop equating Anti-Semitism with Anti-Zionism. They aren't synonymous. One position is indefensible whilst the other is wholly valid, attempts at equating the two is only used to demoralise a very real and serious campaign against the injustices committed by Israel.
Original post by TheAnusFiles
Difference is that blaming islam for an islamic condoned attack is fair. blaming ethnic/religious jews for the actions of a state is not

I don't believe what is happening in Gaza is an entirely religious issue, however, many Jews support Israel in their wrongdoings because they believe that Israel was promised to them by God. Despite this there are other Jewish people who disagree and oppose the Zionist movement.

Similarly, there are extremists who use religion to fulfill their own twisted agendas. However, the vast majority of Muslims disagree with them and oppose their actions.

I'm almost used to people trying to justify discrimination against Muslims on TSR.
I don't believe what is happening in Gaza is an entirely religious issue, however, many Jews support Israel in their wrongdoings because they believe that Israel was promised to them by God. Despite this there are other Jewish people who disagree and oppose the Zionist movement.

Similarly, there are extremists who use religion to fulfill their own twisted agendas. However, the vast majority of Muslims disagree with them and oppose their actions.

I'm almost used to people trying to justify discrimination against Muslims on TSR.

Look here's the thing: I'll break it down so it is easy to refute

1) the quran says a lot of awful things

2) Muslims cannot be selective regarding what is written in the quran

3) ergo anyone who chooses to be Muslim supports all the horrid things written in that book

Usually the response to this is "ehrmagerd u just want to justify your racism". In that case why don't I hate Hinduism or Sikhism?
Original post by TheAnusFiles
Look here's the thing: I'll break it down so it is easy to refute

1) the quran says a lot of awful things

2) Muslims cannot be selective regarding what is written in the quran

3) ergo anyone who chooses to be Muslim supports all the horrid things written in that book

Usually the response to this is "ehrmagerd u just want to justify your racism". In that case why don't I hate Hinduism or Sikhism?

Probably because you've been conditioned to hate it. People seem to forget that the enslavement of blacks and extermination of the indigenous populations of America and Australia were carried out in the name of Christianity. Obviously an anti-Christian agenda would benefit nobody in the West these days. The Arab lands are where it's at.
Probably because you've been conditioned to hate it. People seem to forget that the enslavement of blacks and extermination of the indigenous populations of America and Australia were carried out in the name of Christianity. Obviously an anti-Christian agenda would benefit nobody in the West these days. The Arab lands are where it's at.

Classic fallacy right there; claim that Christianity is bad too. I am an atheist. All that does is build my argument against organised religion.

Islam is misogynistic and homophobic so of course I hate it
I don't fall for this pro palestine non sense, using dead children in palestine to turn people against the jews on social media for example is pathetic.

I do not sympathize with terrorists, its the same as using ISIS as a representation of Islam.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending