The Student Room Group

Another councillor sent to the "Equality and diversity training" gulag

Scroll to see replies

I don't consider 70 to be old enough to be an excuse tbh. Where's she been the last 20+ years when society collectively stamped out these phrases as unacceptable? If she was 80 and senile then fair enough.
Original post by pane123
I most certainly will not be making any effort to keep up with what's deemed acceptable one day, yet racist the next. People like you are far more harmful to society than this 'racist' old woman.

I am intrigued about the harm I cause

She used a word that is now deemed to be racist; there was no racist sentiment behind her using it. I'm all for eradicating racism but people have a tendency to victimise the wrong people.

It is not a word that has "suddenly" become unacceptable - she, like I - lived through the changes that made that particular word unacceptable

There were many terms that were acceptable when I was younger that no longer are

Her additional comments make it clear that she considers her age and the lack of foreigners in the room to be extenuating circumstances - do you agree with that or do you think that she should learn that they are not
They do this, then the country allows music containing 'n*gger' to be sold, therefore it makes no sense whatsoever especially if it gives a false impression to people that they shouldn't use it.
Original post by TenOfThem
I am intrigued about the harm I cause

It is not a word that has "suddenly" become unacceptable - she, like I - lived through the changes that made that particular word unacceptable

There were many terms that were acceptable when I was younger that no longer are.

Her additional comments make it clear that she considers her age and the lack of foreigners in the room to be extenuating circumstances - do you agree with that or do you think that she should learn that they are not

Harm is caused when labels like "racist" are thrown about willy-nilly.

I think her age is an extenuating circumstance, at least to some extent. There is a big difference between calling someone a ****** and using an expression containing the word.

Perhaps she does need to be told that she shouldn't be using that word but sending her on such a course is embarrassing and patronising.
Original post by pane123
Harm is caused when labels like "racist" are thrown about willy-nilly.

Show where I used that term

I think her age is an extenuating circumstance, at least to some extent. There is a big difference between calling someone a ****** and using an expression containing the word.

There is indeed - had her response simply been to apologise rather than an attempt to justify I would have considered that to be enough to end the issue

Perhaps she does need to be told that she shouldn't be using that word but sending her on such a course is embarrassing and patronising.

I disagree - telling the entire world through a newspaper article causes unnecessary embarrassment - I would be interested to know who took this story to the press - particularly given the skew of the article
Show where I used that term

There is indeed - had her response simply been to apologise rather than an attempt to justify I would have considered that to be enough to end the issue

I disagree - telling the entire world through a newspaper article causes unnecessary embarrassment - I would be interested to know who took this story to the press - particularly given the skew of the article

You might not have used that specific term but we both know why the word in question is unacceptable.

It is perfectly natural to try to justify something you have said. While her 'no foreigners' remark is a bit off, there's nothing wrong with pointing out that the phrase she used was commonly used when she was younger.

Yes, the newspaper article causes embarrassment but only because of the content. It is highly unlikely that someone having a quiet word with her would have been leaked.
Original post by pane123
You might not have used that specific term but we both know why the word in question is unacceptable.

I do not equate the use of a word deemed to be racist with a person being a racist
Original post by thesabbath
Who gets to define what is "racist"? What state instrument prevents this dogma from being unquestionable? The freedom to say nothing is no freedom at all. The thought police are alive and well.

We all know that the "correct" term to refer to "people of colour", as I believe the current politically correct doctrine requires one to state on pain of attending a diversity gulag, has changed manifold times in recent decades, terms such as "black", "coloured", "negro" et al having been decreed "wrong" by the authorities even mere years after having been decreed "correct" by the same authorities. If you want to play the game then go ahead, but know that increasing numbers are sick and tired of the whole Stalinist charade.

Racism is defined by elected representatives . Your Freedom ends when it threatens the freedom of others
Lol attending a course on how not to break the law not the same as going to a gulag

Stop being a drama queen this isnt america we never used negro
I suppose anyone who uses the word "gay" as a negative in a sentence, such as "Man, these seats are gay. I can't even see what's going on!" (courtesy of UD), needs to be sent on these classes, we're going to have a lot of teenagers in a lot of classes.

Just because a phrase slipped down once doesn't mean she needs "re-educating". I've let a swear word out before when I've badly stubbed my toe in a location where swearing isn't ideal, but I know it was a dumb move and don't need to be "re-educated".
And she described homosexual people as 'gays', what a wonderful woman.
Personally I think this is silly.
It was a figure of speech just like people calling things "gay" is a figure of speech. I've met elderly from quite a few races who say ridiculous things like this but there is no malicious intent behind it.

If this woman had referred to someone else or called someone else n*gger I would have found it disgusting but she didn't, it was a turn of phrase. I think people are blowing this way out of proportion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How does anyone actually keep up with the correct terminology for ethnic minorities?
Why do people get so upset that they aren't allowed to use the N word? Why do you want to say it?
I do not equate the use of a word deemed to be racist with a person being a racist

Then you should see this punishment as excessive. It would be different if she were going on a course designed to teach people what words they can and cannot use, but she's not.
Original post by pane123
Then you should see this punishment as excessive. It would be different if she were going on a course designed to teach people what words they can and cannot use, but she's not.

That is pretty much what Equality and Diversity Courses are.

What do you imagine the course will be?
TenofThem in the thick of controversy of course. I think the whole notion of these diversity courses is like some type of Orwellian 1984 mind control / reprogramming. As a councillor she is not an employee anyway and is presumably elected ? The sort of people who run those courses are the very worst type of diverse self righteous diversity jobsworths.
Original post by tehforum
good

age is not an excuse for racism
maybe i should use a racist term for white people and see how the daily mail commentators like that...

hypocrites

You out should be grateful to whites who allow your to flourish in their country :smile:
What is the *******? N****r is never acceptable. When Alan Hansen said coloured, I could forgive that (if it was even worth crying about) but n****r? Never.

Only thing I would say is that these courses sound like new-age bull****.
That is pretty much what Equality and Diversity Courses are.

What do you imagine the course will be?

There is a description in the article which does not sound like what you're saying it is.
Original post by pane123
There is a description in the article which does not sound like what you're saying it is.

Doesn't it?

Sounds like a fairly typical course to me.

I think we will have to agree to disagree on this one.

Quick Reply

Latest