The Student Room Group

illusionz' ICF blog

Scroll to see replies

Original post by illusionz
Cheers bro. I am starting to think that the days of linear progression are numbered though (well I'm not even doing LP any more, but training the frequency that I am). Bench and press progress has slowed a fair bit recently. Gonna keep going for another few weeks then perhaps move on to an intermediate program. My upper back was still a bit sore today from rows on tuesday, and deadlifting this heavy every 4 days is not that sustainable I think.

Also am starting to think a few areas are lagging, eg upper chest and rear delts.

However this is complicated by the fact that I want to do a smallish cut reasonably soon.

Lastly I will be moving to london and getting a proper gym around end of sept time. I think perhaps doing something like 5/3/1 boring but big once I move and can squat properly, so cut for a month and a half before. Otherwise something more like PPL but then there's the problem of bench and press on the same day. Unsure what the best routine for frequency is after one stops full body A/B/A

I saw this the other day but I'm dead from manual labour 11 hours a day so yeah this is why this is a slightly late reply. Anyway.

You're not at the end of linear progression. You've added something like 5kg on your DL in a week. Your bench is beginning to stall admittedly but I did at almost exactly the same weight.

So yeah... basically keep going, you've never deloaded your bench, or OHP. Maybe it's time to. Add some DB pressing or something heavy on your entire delts on your non OHP gains to make that moving upwards. I added 3x7+ DB press to shift it up if you're interested.

You also deadlift right at the start of your day, might be worth moving it down a bit as you can still max it doing after doing shoulder work etc but it's really difficult imo to do it the other way round.

For your upper chest - flys, learn to do them properly. Basically rather than just bring your arms in like most people do and it feels horrible on your front delt, tense the **** out of your chest muscle and you'll get a glorious full pectoral pump, you might find joy doing incline flys or decline. Have a play. They're so untaxing, it's great. I just did them at the end of the routine.

Facepulls are goat shoulder movement, cured my crunching shoulder. Progress on them 8-12 rep range. Try Omar Isuf style and the full flare elbow style as per Scott Herman vid, see what you like best. Weighted chins are great for rear delts as well. Could put them in instead of curlz.

Also pause benching really, really helps pectoral development. I'd be tempted to deload your bench and work your way back up, doing a brief 1, 2 count then exploding your bench.

Thats my advice, Candito's programme was the one I wanted to do before my body died on me for what it's worth.

Hope that helps :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Angry cucumber
x

Yeah my deadlift is rather ridiculous. I might try deloading bench and press, as well as adding pauses. I never really saw the point in deloading instead of just lifting as heavy as I could. But from doing some research into intermediate routines it seems that the deload is as much about the rest as it is anything else. Will be worth a try.
Also went gym yesterday but had to dash afterwards to get a train to London for mates party.

From memory

Bench
85kg 5, 5, 4, 4, 3+f. No spotter, decided to drop to 4s after 2 sets as didn't want to fail. Slight elbow pain came on about half way through, slightly concerning. Will have to see if it is a 1 off.

Incline DB Press
30x 5x6

Rows
85 2x5 - felt very heavy and form was bad
80 3x6 form much better, did some extra reps to try and keep difficulty up

Dips + 20kg
5, 5, 5
Felt heavy but had done a lot of bench work already

Curls
Some hunter gatherer was using all the DBs from 12-18kg (4 sets!) Asked if I could use one and he said no. He was doing some stupid superset on the incline doing 18s, 16s, 14s then 12s with no rest and only doing about 1/3 of a rep each time...

So I couldn't curl. Tried some chins but can't do more than about 6 reps. I'm too heavy :frown: Did a few sets of light straight bar curls so as to not hurt my wrist.

Also legit saw someone doing this. wtf.

I wanted to slap him.
I would have just taken a pair of dumbbells off that guy. They don't belong to him lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats my advice, Candito's programme was the one I wanted to do before my body died on me for what it's worth.

Your body died but you're still here lol

I've seen that weird exercise before. It was a wtf moment for me too. Weird as hell and looks dangerous
Saw that video a while back, was all over the Exercises in Futility fb group lol

It's so random.. da*** they doing and where do they get their ideas from

Original post by silent ninja
Your body died but you're still here lol

I've seen that weird exercise before. It was a wtf moment for me too. Weird as hell and looks dangerous

I'm like voldermort in Harry Potter 1 just chilling as some kind of messed up spirit lol
200*5 Deadlift already? Jammy git. Mirin' dem genes :frown:
Today

Forgot to deload press. I'm a spanner

Got like 30x4+f, 28 for a few sets of 5. Also repped the 45kg barbell to failure a few times - felt like it engaged different shoulder muscles. Perhaps need to do this more.

Deadlift
Went lighter to focus on form rather than weight as had been gunning for 200kg so hard that form got left behind a bit. Also this was all strapless.
180kg x 8
Could have lifted more with good form but cardio gave up. Was hard.
Then wanted to get 200kg without straps. But decided to make it 202.5 kg so it was a new PB.
202.5kg x 1 PB
Easy

205kg x 1 PB
Again easy. Very cheap PBs ofc given I have 200 x 5 but :tongue:
I reckon 210+ is very doable, perhaps even 5 plates fresh.

Pleased with grip - heavy shrugs have done wonders for it.

Then DB rows to upper chest 30kg 4x12

Lat pulldowns - unlogged as can't remember

Facepulls 36kg 3x10

Curls/DB french press - unlogged as can't remember
Today

Forgot to deload press. I'm a spanner

Got like 30x4+f, 28 for a few sets of 5. Also repped the 45kg barbell to failure a few times - felt like it engaged different shoulder muscles. Perhaps need to do this more.

Deadlift
Went lighter to focus on form rather than weight as had been gunning for 200kg so hard that form got left behind a bit. Also this was all strapless.
180kg x 8
Could have lifted more with good form but cardio gave up. Was hard.
Then wanted to get 200kg without straps. But decided to make it 202.5 kg so it was a new PB.
202.5kg x 1 PB
Easy

205kg x 1 PB
Again easy. Very cheap PBs ofc given I have 200 x 5 but :tongue:
I reckon 210+ is very doable, perhaps even 5 plates fresh.

Pleased with grip - heavy shrugs have done wonders for it.

Then DB rows to upper chest 30kg 4x12

Lat pulldowns - unlogged as can't remember

Facepulls 36kg 3x10

Curls/DB french press - unlogged as can't remember

Do you have a reason for not using the barbell for OHP?

I want to know your 5x5
Original post by tehforum
Do you have a reason for not using the barbell for OHP?

I want to know your 5x5

No power rack and nowhere I could safely drop a barbell from overhead in my gym. Plus we don't have bumper plates so I'd break stuff.
Was the +200 stuff with chalk or straps? Very nice DL

Whilst at work today my mind wandered... Arnold press would be a decent delt and upper chest accessory... Used to do a fair bit of it once upon a time 8 reps ish would be good to go

Clean and then stand and press would be decent for doing OHP work. Powercleans would take a bit of learning but doing them at a weight you could press would be easy for you.

Anyways I'm fairly sure this is a sign of addiction to TSR...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Was the +200 stuff with chalk or straps? Very nice DL

Whilst at work today my mind wandered... Arnold press would be a decent delt and upper chest accessory... Used to do a fair bit of it once upon a time 8 reps ish would be good to go

Clean and then stand and press would be decent for doing OHP work. Powercleans would take a bit of learning but doing them at a weight you could press would be easy for you.

Anyways I'm fairly sure this is a sign of addiction to TSR...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Chalk :biggrin: Going to ditch the straps for the foreseeable future as grip has gotten to the stage where they're not needed. Hooray for heavy shrugs. 180x8 was so much harder on the grip though, couldn't straighten my fingers for like 30s after.

Power cleans might be useful... but they're pretty technical and I'm not sure that power cleaning 50-60kg will do much for my lower body... May as well just do the pressing bit. Plus have the same issue as with BB OHP - nowhere to safely drop it in my gym should I fail.

I will be moving to London for work late sept and will join a proper gym then. Bring on the squat gains.
(edited 9 years ago)
Awesome with the chalk - I seem to remember something about chalk a while ago :wink:

The reason I said the clean and press was the lack of a rack. The clean is purely there to get the barbell up there. Once you've got it up there treat it like an OHP.
No worries if you fail, you just put it down like you would a completed powerclean rep

Posted from TSR Mobile
Chalk :biggrin: Going to ditch the straps for the foreseeable future as grip has gotten to the stage where they're not needed. Hooray for heavy shrugs. 180x8 was so much harder on the grip though, couldn't straighten my fingers for like 30s after.

Power cleans might be useful... but they're pretty technical and I'm not sure that power cleaning 50-60kg will do much for my lower body... May as well just do the pressing bit. Plus have the same issue as with BB OHP - nowhere to safely drop it in my gym should I fail.

I will be moving to London for work late sept and will join a proper gym then. Bring on the squat gains.

If I can learn how to clean, so can you. :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
With a 200kg deadlift a 50/60 kg power clean is piss easy.

Source: me

Even with zero technique.
Original post by Jtking3000
200*5 Deadlift already? Jammy git. Mirin' dem genes :frown:

missed this yesterday. Cheers man. My deadlift just keeps going up, up and up even though other things keep stalling.
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
If I can learn how to clean, so can you. :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Motorbiker
With a 200kg deadlift a 50/60 kg power clean is piss easy.

Source: me

Even with zero technique.

Valid points. Will give BB OHP a go as made zero progress with DBs for a few weeks now.
Possibly just benched 100 kg for 1. Problem being I think I touched too low down my chest and it would get a red light in a meet. Vid and full update to follow.
Sooooooo. Unsure whether to call today a success or not.

Paused Bench.
Plan was to do paused bench today and keep the weight light because paused bench is, y'know, harder. Well, didn't quite happen.
60x5
70x5
75x5
77.5x5
80x5
85x4+assisted

As I almost got my tough and go 5RM paused I figured today was a good day, went for a new 5RM. Failed.

Touch and go Bench
87.5 3+assisted
My mate (who got 100 last week due to me egging him on) was telling me I should go for a max as I was feeling decent.
95x1. Easy.
100x? See video

DB incline bench
30 x 7, 6, 8 rep PB, 5 (barely rested)

BB Rows
Changed form on these as turns out my grip was too wide before.
70x10
85x5
87.5x5
90 3x5 PB

Shrugs
110 4x8

Watched video, was pissed off. Tried to bench 100 again. Empty gym. Roll of shame occured. Twice. Was silly trying really given the incline volume I did after flat.
Deload not even once lol

Good lift, it touched your chest, wasn't touched by spotter etc.
If your doing it for meets you'd be doing it paused for something like a 1,2 quick count pause which is IPF iirc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest