The Student Room Group

Do many dislike 'gay people' because of instinct?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ProppaNutty
I have nothing against gays, but someone I know pointed out that if everyone was 'Homosexual', then there would be no population afer so many years, this may be a reason that people do not like the idea of it maybe, I don't know

That is a stupid reason. If the population comprised of any one individual multiplied thousands of times, we would be ****ed.
Original post by ProppaNutty
I have nothing against gays, but someone I know pointed out that if everyone was 'Homosexual', then there would be no population afer so many years, this may be a reason that people do not like the idea of it maybe, I don't know

So should we hate all heterosexuals who don't want to have children? If nobody wanted children, then there wouldn't be a population pretty soon either..
Original post by TheAnusFiles
That is a stupid reason. If the population comprised of any one individual multiplied thousands of times, we would be ****ed.

Original post by Jooooshy
So should we hate all heterosexuals who don't want to have children? If nobody wanted children, then there wouldn't be a population pretty soon either..

WOAAH WOAAH WOAAH

Don't hate on me !!!

I was just saying, it could be a reason why people dislike gays, as stupid as it sounds, there probably are people who think this, they believe that everyone should be heterosexual, but what if it flipped and you were expected to be homosexual ??
Original post by Snagprophet
There was someone in my class who was gay but I didn't know until a while after and they behaved as a normal person would, not all campy and girly etc. So therefore I think people dislike campy/girly stereotype gay people but if someone who behaved normally suddenly sprung on you that they were gay, I'm sure most people would be fine with it.

Yes, but many gay people who have "behaved normally" have also been subjected to homophobia and abuse.
Original post by RocketCiaranJ
Yes, but many gay people who have "behaved normally" have also been subjected to homophobia and abuse.

Well I'm just saying why I think some people can't stand gays, or at least think they do.
Original post by Snagprophet
Well I'm just saying why I think some people can't stand gays, or at least think they do.

Agreed. But, I'm simply saying that many dislike gay people, simply because they're gay; even though they show not such eccentric behaviors.
Considering that so many, non-religious, people dislike gays

Huh? What are you talking about?

I don't know any non-religious people that dislike gays. And I know plenty of religious people who have no problem with it at all.

Could we be driven to loathe anyone who does not reproduce

Gay people can reproduce.

Tell us, what is your view of gay people?
Agreed. But, I'm simply saying that many dislike gay people

Define many.

I don't think they do. You might be mistaking your own views for that of the general population.
Reply 28
We are not brought into this world being prejudice, it is something that is thrust upon us by society and stereotypes that are deemed acceptable by the majority it is something that is learned from others not from instinct. But I definitely agree that whether you are homosexual or heterosexual PDA's should be kept to a minimum.
Reply 29
I also agree that many do hate gay's, although it is more widely accepted and the right to be gay (as it is not a choice) has come along way, there are still places and people that carry small town mentalities that discriminate against gay people and carry a hatred for it.
Original post by emm.b89
I also agree that many do hate gay'

Define "many".

"Many" people also hate blacks, and disabled people, and so on. Crucially, these bigots are viewed with utter contempt by the vast majority of the population, and all the people whose opinions matter (those who wield power) couldn't give a **** what these backward bigots think

So why should we care what these homophobic idiots think? They're marginal, at best. Crackpots on the fringes of society. Their prejudice means nothing, and has no effect in the real world.
Reply 31
Because these homophobic idiots sometimes go out of there way to prove their point so sometimes it does have an effect and not always on the majority but the minority and individuals, targeted hate crimes, bullying etc Russia is a prime example of why we should care and that it does have an effect on the real world if enough people listen to what others say and believe.
Original post by young_guns
Define many.

I don't think they do. You might be mistaking your own views for that of the general population.

:biggrin: It seems to have missed off the last half of that sentence. I meant: many dislike gay people, regardless of whether they demonstrate eccentric characteristics. When I use the term "many", I discuss homophobic people, not the society as a whole. So, many people who are homophobic dislike, etc...
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by young_guns
Huh? What are you talking about?

I don't know any non-religious people that dislike gays. And I know plenty of religious people who have no problem with it at all.

Gay people can reproduce.

Tell us, what is your view of gay people?

Gay people can reproduce, yes, but they're not going to.
(edited 9 years ago)
Can be kinda weird seeing men acting all effeminate :tongue:
Reply 35
Original post by Olie
And as for those who make the comments like 'I'm not homophobic, but I just wish they wouldn't flaunt their gayness in front of me' like for when they see 2 guys kissing or holding hands, you wouldn't say that for a heterosexual couple (and there's certainly no lack of heterosexual couples showing their love for each other in public), so why should a homosexual couple be any different?

Some people just don't like public displays of affection. Swings both ways.
Original post by iEatMuFFiNS
Can be kinda weird seeing men acting all effeminate :tongue:

Instinct, maybe? :biggrin:
Reply 37
Do people still dislike gays? Lol.
Gay people can reproduce, yes, but they're not going to.

How do you know? Many gay people want to and do reproduce

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by miscounted_time
How do you know? Many gay people want to and do reproduce

Posted from TSR Mobile

I mean in the traditional sense; the traditional form of reproduction that would be the only method available to cave people.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending